• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 Honda IRL V-8

Saw this posted at HondaNews.com

http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/corp...query-Show***005875***-wieck_media***-***corp(directory)***.ws4d?corp/results(r)_text.html

I know the HSC is going to be 3.5 liters as well, but as a V-6. Too bad we aren't getting this 3.5 liter V-8. I think that it would certainly please alot of people who are anticipating the HSC and worrying that it won't have enough power. Do you think the engines will be related?

Well, the link isn't working. Just go to http://www.hondanews.com. The info is on the front page there.

2004 Honda Indy V-8 Engine

Specifications:

Engine Type
Normally aspirated, fuel-injected, aluminum alloy cylinder block V-8

Displacement
3.5 liters (213.6 cubic inches) through April, then reduced to 3.0 liters

Valve Train
Dual overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder

Crankshaft
Alloy steel, five main bearing caps

Pistons
Forged aluminum alloy

Connecting Rods
Machined alloy steel

Engine Management
Motorola

Ignition System
CDI

Lubrication
Dry sump

Cooling
Single water pump

HMMM...... Could be good news!!

Question. If Honda has a 3.5 L V8, why couldn't that be adapated to fit in the HSC? Wouldn't it be roughly the same size? --excuse my lack of mechanical acumen. :)

Hey thanks for cut and pasting that! I guess I could have done that too. I agree with you though. Why can't they just put the 3.5 Liter V-8 in there instead of a 3.5 V-6? Did you notice how Honda stated on there that after April, the engine will go to a 3.0? Give us this Engine!! (or something very similar) Maybe this engine will be a test bed of sorts for when the HSC is released? I can dream can't I?

I have stated several times in past threads that I thought the IRL might be R & D for a new engine. Honda movement away for CART to the IRL could be a signal of what they see as marketing exposure. I can see a new NSX lined up next to a Penske Indy car in a commercial for some reason. I would rather see it next to a BAR F1 machine however !!!

I remember Honda saying that they would release the new NSX when Honda was winning again in racing. They have made promises in F1 to compete for podiums this year and the WDC the year after....though I think they're being a little optimistic. Winning the Indy500 this year definately sounds more plausible. I'm sure that would be a great marketing opp for them ... especially in the US as most of the rest of the world doesn't really care too much about that race.

As for the V6, there still is no definative statement saying what the new engine is going to be. I know that Fukui-san has thrown out a lot of red herrings in regards to possible engine choices.

I thought there was a definitive answer regarding the engine. Well, as definitive as it's going to be until it hits showrooms anyway. Here's the info from HondaNews.com. It's stating a 3.5 Liter V-6. But who knows. It could change 100 different times in the next year or so.

Powertrain
o 300+ horsepower

o 3.5-liter V-6 engine

o SportShift transmission

Suspension
o 4-wheel double wishbone suspension

o Six-piston caliper Brembo disc brakes

o Five-spoke forged aluminum alloy wheels

Body
o All-aluminum frame

o Carbon fiber body panels

o Satin silver paint

o HID headlamps

o High-illumination LED taillights

o Rearview camera

o Dual exhaust tips

Interior
o Black leather seats

o Anodized aluminum and carbon fiber accent trim

o Leather-wrapped steering wheel

o Aluminum foot pedals

Note that the HSC is wider than the NSX. I recall something like 13cm, just about the right amount for another bank of cylinders.

Well let's cross our fingers that they put this engine in there. And if they don't, maybe somebody with money to burn could buy the HSC when it comes out and somehow swap the IRL engine into it! That's be the swap of the century. We'd be reading about that on this board for quite some time.

I do believe the HSC will handily beat a car like the C6/NA 996, but will not beat the new ZO6 - Which quite frankly, is fine with me as long as it has a gorgeous body, excellent reliability, and rarity.

Rearview camera? WTF does anyone need that for? This is a sports car, meant for people who actually know how to drive. Rearview cameras are for handicapped folks that can't turn around and look out the rear window. I certainly hope that thing is optional... or is left out all together.

Nice to see someone agrees with me.

Honestly, from what I've been hearing, the HSC seems like it's going to be a disappointment in the "fun" department. ESPECIALLY with those paddles....grrrr.

Let's see:

So far, it's ugly,
It has paddle shifters,
and it has a rearview camera.

What's next? Mahogany interior?
Whatever happened to driving for driving's sake?

I'm not saying it has to be cheap, but c'mon now, if I wanted a car that did the driving for me, I'd look at a Benz or a Lexus.

Anyway... so far I personally am disappointed with the whole HSC.

Rearview camera?

I'm sure that's just on the prototype car. If I remember right, the rearview cameras were also on the 04 TL when it was going around the show circuit. Obviously that didn't make it into production.

I thought the reason why Honda is moving from the 3.5L to a 3.0L is because its a new IRL regulation going into effect.

The 3.5L engines cars had such a high top speed that drivers were getting killed. Their IRL solution was to decrease the engine size to lower the hp ratings.

The engine used in ILR racing is not a 'real' Honda engine. When they decided to switch from CART to IRL, it was too late to start an engine program. They took the Illmor engine and put their name on it. Illmor also make the "Mercedes" engine for the McLaren F-1 team.

Honda provides the budget for development, and is providing more tech support than ever before, but this is not a Honda engine and has no place in our Flagship car.

Colin said:
The engine used in ILR racing is not a 'real' Honda engine. When they decided to switch from CART to IRL, it was too late to start an engine program. They took the Illmor engine and put their name on it. Illmor also make the "Mercedes" engine for the McLaren F-1 team.

Honda provides the budget for development, and is providing more tech support than ever before, but this is not a Honda engine and has no place in our Flagship car.

Amen.
F1=100% Honda
Not sure why Honda wastes their money on American open wheel racing.

They (Honda) have made promises in F1 to compete for podiums this year and the WDC the year after....though I think they're being a little optimistic

Been watching any Formula One lately? Looks like their optimism is paying off. :) If it wasn't for those stupid red cars, we'd be doing much better tho. ;) Bunch of showoffs, I tell ya.

I'm starting to feel bad for McLaren, though. :(

Considering the RL just showed up out of nowhere with the SH-AWD system and unknown engine specs..I'd say honda can keep things hush hush if they want to.

The RL engine specs should help point in the right direction for the NSX, obviously the RL can't have more HP than the NSX.

naaman said:
Rearview camera? WTF does anyone need that for? This is a sports car, meant for people who actually know how to drive. Rearview cameras are for handicapped folks that can't turn around and look out the rear window. I certainly hope that thing is optional... or is left out all together.
There may be good reason for these. They can replace rear view mirrors, potentially saving weight, aerodynamic drag, and wind noise.

hondaholic said:
Amen.
F1=100% Honda
Not sure why Honda wastes their money on American open wheel racing.

Simple-

Honda + F1 = Toyota + F1

Toyota + CART = Honda + CART

Toyota + IRL = Honda + IRL

They're bitter enemies.

Wherever Toyota go, Honda will always be there.

Colin said:

Absolutely right.

Also, it is said that it's more difficult and cost-ineffective for engineers to detune a race engine to streetable HP for road cars than to re-design a road car engine from ground up solely for street use.

Back