• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007 Boxster S vs 1997 NSX

I am the current happy owner of a 2000 Boxster S and am looking to upgrade to get an even more fun car.

In the past I've owned a Subaru WRX, Integra Type R, Honda S2000, (3 actually, all AP1) 2001 BMW M Coupe and now the Porsche.

My dream car has always been an NSX, but the 1993 NSX I drove last year wasn't really what I expected at low speeds. Steering was very hard to operate at parking lot speeds and acceleration was decent but nothing more.

I think the 1997+ NSXs have power steering but does this rob the NSX of steering feel? Do the newer NSX have numbed down steering feel like the Honda S2000?

Is the difference in acceleration between a 1996 and 1997 THAT much more enjoyable?

The thing I enjoy the most about my Boxster S is the steering feel: I can feel all sorts of vibrations through the steering wheel as the road surface changes. It's no Lotus Elise, but for a power-assisted steering rack it's near perfect.

To the owners of 1997+ NSXs who have driven the 2007 Boxster S with the 295HP engine, how do you compare acceleration, steering, shifting feel, brake pedal feel, etc...?

I know the NSX has less torque than the Boxster S (225 vs 255 or so) but does the gearing of the Acura make up for it?

I think the 1997+ NSXs have power steering but does this rob the NSX of steering feel? Do the newer NSX have numbed down steering feel like the Honda S2000?

Actually its 1995 and on with the power steering.

IMHO it DOES rob the car of the steering feel. I have owned both a 1991 and a 2005.

Man, get the NSX and dump the Boxster S. The NSX is a way better car I think. If you drive a 97' I think you will like it more. The 6 speed, 3.2L engine and PS aren't all that bad I think. Just my two cents.

Don't take anyone's word for it, go drive one. This is my first NSX and I'm very pleased. I've not driven an NA1 but I've heard from others that the difference is noticeable. Good luck.:smile:

Don't take anyone's word for it, go drive one. This is my first NSX and I'm very pleased. I've not driven an NA1 but I've heard from others that the difference is noticeable. Good luck.:smile:

It's almost impossible for me to test drive a 1997+ NSX here in Montreal.

Last year I had a check in hand for a 1993 NSX and flew to Chicago to buy one but the test drive wasn't what I expected. The car had an annoying after market clutch, brakes were really bad feeling, acceleration was bleah, and I was surprised of the steering effort at low speeds.

I am looking for a 100% stock newer NSX with a normal stock clutch and power steering to see if it fixes the problems the one I test drove had.

I am a big-time Honda fan having LOVED my Integra Type R and Honda S2000. I feel that getting an NSX is a natural thing to do, but I just can't seem to find a 1997 NSX to test drive to convince me.

Anyone in the North East care to give me a ride? :wink:

It's almost impossible for me to test drive a 1997+ NSX here in Montreal.

Last year I had a check in hand for a 1993 NSX and flew to Chicago to buy one but the test drive wasn't what I expected. The car had an annoying after market clutch, brakes were really bad feeling, acceleration was bleah, and I was surprised of the steering effort at low speeds.

I am looking for a 100% stock newer NSX with a normal stock clutch and power steering to see if it fixes the problems the one I test drove had.

I am a big-time Honda fan having LOVED my Integra Type R and Honda S2000. I feel that getting an NSX is a natural thing to do, but I just can't seem to find a 1997 NSX to test drive to convince me.

Anyone in the North East care to give me a ride? :wink:

Post for a ride in the Canadian Region Forum. There's gotta be someone nearby. Good luck!

If you want to drive down to Boston I will let you take a spin in mine. You will get a feel for the steering, brakes, etc. But the power thing won't help you at all.

FWIW, I have driven the non-PS (a 91 and a 94) model of the NSX. And I really can't tell a difference at all at speed. You do realize that the PS system on the NSX only gives assist at up to 25 MPH or something like that? after that its basically manual mode. Every magazine review I ever read raved about the electric steering of the NSX and its feel. I think they used the word "benchmark" a few times. If there is still a difference, I don't think its a big one.

I have not driven the Boxter S but I have driven a Cayman S. I like my NSX better, mainly because of driving position, and view from the driver's seat. Its completely different. The Cayman S was a great car but I also like the looks and rarity of the NSX. Of course now with the Comptech Supercharger my car is a world faster too. Anyway if you are up for it take a drive down and see mine, you will know what I am talking about.

If you want to drive down to Boston I will let you take a spin in mine. You will get a feel for the steering, brakes, etc. But the power thing won't help you at all.

FWIW, I have driven the non-PS (a 91 and a 94) model of the NSX. And I really can't tell a difference at all at speed. You do realize that the PS system on the NSX only gives assist at up to 25 MPH or something like that? after that its basically manual mode. Every magazine review I ever read raved about the electric steering of the NSX and its feel. I think they used the word "benchmark" a few times. If there is still a difference, I don't think its a big one.

I have not driven the Boxter S but I have driven a Cayman S. I like my NSX better, mainly because of driving position, and view from the driver's seat. Its completely different. The Cayman S was a great car but I also like the looks and rarity of the NSX. Of course now with the Comptech Supercharger my car is a world faster too. Anyway if you are up for it take a drive down and see mine, you will know what I am talking about.

Wow that's really kind of you!

I will think about it since I will be extremely busy these next few weeks

thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.

well I know on paper the 97+ nsx's are = with a 2007 cayman S. I live in NYC and I have no problems with my manual rack except for making a U turn or parallel parking.

The NSX does have weak torque though but I love the way the car doesn't stop accelerating even when it hits redline. I've driven a few boxsters and i thought they fleet very slow granted I've never driven a S model. But I can also say that a bone stock NA1 NSX doesn't feel all that fast either. But thats nothing a few bolt ons and basic weight reduction can't fix. If you remove the spare tire and lighter wheels it would make the steering effort more tolerable.

Wow that's really kind of you!

I will think about it since I will be extremely busy these next few weeks

thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.

Sure thing, just don't blame me when you are clamoring to buy a Comptech Supercharger and a full GT-One exhaust after. :biggrin:

The lack of power steering is'nt that bad. A few pushups every morning for a few weeks will remedy that.:wink:

Listen ,the Canadian nsx club is strong and getting stronger just post your desires in the local region section.

I've driven a Cayman S and it's no way as fast as my 95 NSX. You need to turn off the TC and give it some throttle I think you'll see what I mean. If you want to go fast get a Lotus Exige S now thats what will get your heart pumping.

I've driven a Cayman S and it's no way as fast as my 95 NSX. You need to turn off the TC and give it some throttle I think you'll see what I mean. If you want to go fast get a Lotus Exige S now thats what will get your heart pumping.

I agree, I definately feel a difference with the TC off. A lot of people forget the button is there..:smile:

Well I finally did it, test drove a nice candy-red 2001 NSX today.

The thing that surprised me the most was the power! After hearing soooo many people say how slow the NSX is, I was amazed at the low-end torque around 3000RPM and the nice rush from 5000 to 8000.

I've driven lots of powerful cars from all sorts of car makers, but this has to be the most satisfying engine I have ever driven.

I just LOVE the SNARL the engine starts to make around 3500RPMs; you just know there is something special about this car. And the shifter is so tight and precise, it inspires confidence to shift at redline.

Plus the seating position is just sex.

I have to admit there is a huge difference between 1996 and 1997 NSX, no contest in the acceleration department.

Now on to my biggest complaint: the steering...I don't know if it's because I have a Boxster S and I'm used to a steering wheel that transmit every little road surface change, but the NSX's steering felt like a Toyota Camry: overboosted, no feedback and kinda slow to react.

If it wasn't for the steering it would of been a done deal, but this is making me think twice.

I friggen love the looks and was giggling like a little school girl throughout the test drive, but the steering feel of a car to me is my #1 source of driving pleasure.

The NSX is soooo perfect though....God I love that SNARL coming from behind my left ear when I mash the gas pedal....And the handling is amazing because the car is so wide and low it gives a great sense of balance and confidence.

So either NSX, new Boxster S or....I dunno! Maybe Z4 M...

Well I finally did it, test drove a nice candy-red 2001 NSX today.

The thing that surprised me the most was the power! After hearing soooo many people say how slow the NSX is, I was amazed at the low-end torque around 3000RPM and the nice rush from 5000 to 8000.

I've driven lots of powerful cars from all sorts of car makers, but this has to be the most satisfying engine I have ever driven.

I just LOVE the SNARL the engine starts to make around 3500RPMs; you just know there is something special about this car. And the shifter is so tight and precise, it inspires confidence to shift at redline.

Plus the seating position is just sex.

I have to admit there is a huge difference between 1996 and 1997 NSX, no contest in the acceleration department.

Now on to my biggest complaint: the steering...I don't know if it's because I have a Boxster S and I'm used to a steering wheel that transmit every little road surface change, but the NSX's steering felt like a Toyota Camry: overboosted, no feedback and kinda slow to react.

If it wasn't for the steering it would of been a done deal, but this is making me think twice.

I friggen love the looks and was giggling like a little school girl throughout the test drive, but the steering feel of a car to me is my #1 source of driving pleasure.

The NSX is soooo perfect though....God I love that SNARL coming from behind my left ear when I mash the gas pedal....And the handling is amazing because the car is so wide and low it gives a great sense of balance and confidence.

So either NSX, new Boxster S or....I dunno! Maybe Z4 M...

What about an Exige S? No power steering, amazing handling and low-weight.

What about an Exige S? No power steering, amazing handling and low-weight.

I test drove a Lotus Elise today. Fantastic car. But my Boxster S with power steering feels just as good as the Lotus Elise without power steering.

Porsche really know how to make cars that communicate with their drivers.

As for the Exige S, it's too expensive for me:redface:

you must have driven one POS of a pre-97.
20hp is not a big difference, after changing headers that difference is only 8whp but still 150lbs heavier than a 91-94. Power steering is unnecessary on a mid engine 3000lb car unless you can barely bench 50lbs. My girl drives w/o power steering without issues.

Buy a 91-94. Spend $6k or so on H/I/E, street/track 3/4" lowering springs, a front sway bar, light wheels and a 150lb diet it will run 13 flat and corner with $200k exotics, and run circles around any BMW or any N/A Porsche.

The Boxster unfortunately cheapens the Porsche brand and gets no respect.

The elise has to be abused to 9k like a civic to get moving and comfort was not even a slight objective

the M coupe is a awesome car but not as exotic as an NSX and will be played out as soon as something newer comes out.

Buy any NSX, become addicted to a feeling that will never be replicated

Last edited:
Power steering is unnecessary on a mid engine 3000lb car unless you can barely bench 50lbs. My girl drives w/o power steering without issues.

I read this and an image of a "girly man" poped into my head. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The difference is actually fairly small. The gearing is the primary difference, particularly 2nd gear. Above 60 MPH, they are much closer.

yeah something must be seriously wrong with that 3.0 liter that you've driven. the weight difference between the T and the coupe almost negates the extra 20 hp. The 6 speed might give you the illusion of more speed since its geared shorter. but it isn't THAT much faster, maybe by a 2 cars tops.

I will admit that i've never driven a NSX with power assist nor have I driven the boxster S out in full tilt, but my NSX's steering is the best i've ever felt. when i'm steering over bumps I can feel the front tires slipping and griping while i'm lightly sawing the steering wheel to feel for gripe. I can everything on the road, and once the car starts moving at 5 mph I can drive one handed no problem.

I drove an 03 NSX and The Cayman S. They handle quite similar. The Cayman S feels more touring and refined as opposed to More raw and sport on the NSX. Both cars are comparable. The Boxter gives you the Drop top and new car warranty. To me, there is no comparison between the Boxter and the Z4. The Boxter, Cayman S and NSX are very close in CG. I almost pulled the trigger on the Cayman S, but the styling of the NSX won me over. I also like the double wishbone suspension on all 4 wheels. From a suspension standpoint, I think the NSX suspension is closer to a Formula car.

John

I don't know whgat it costs to modify a Boxter S. I am sure Ruf parts are not cheap. But the NSX responds incredibly to the slightest mods because the platform is so good and it was intentionally toned down by Honda to keep it very user friendly. A 42 pound exhaust that quiets the car like a Camry is one example. Factory suspension is quite compliant and soft, despite how the car handles with it. It is easy to add power to the engine.

With a few good mods the NSX becomes a beast, I just don't think you can get that with a Boxter (and I really like that car).

The bottom line is do you want to drive an ordinary car that pretty much blends into traffic? because that is what the Boxter and BMW do. That is not the NSX.

Frankly I am baffled by your observation of the steering. I have spent extensive time in a Cayman S and I just don't think the steering is any better than even my power assisted NSX. You have to realize alignment settings, tire type and pressure, suspension settings, they can all affect that to a certain extent. Just like the 01 you drove felt much faster than the 94 or whatever, I would bet a car properly setup will give you all the steering feel you are looking for. You do realize that the NSX was always praised for its steering in any magazine review?

Back