• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2008 Accord EX-L sedan -or- 2008 TSX...(?)

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
Thought I'd get some insight from the greater NSX-community on this! I'm shopping around for a car for my mom'.

She really likes the 2008 Honda Accord sedan, so I started looking into it. I decided that the EX-L sedan w/ auto-trans' & no-nav' was a good fit for her. I later also pondered about the 2008 TSX auto-trans' & no-nav' which should be fairly discounted as the 2009 replacement model will be at dealerships in a month or so!

General info...

2008 Honda Accord EX-L sedan (5-spd. auto-trans.)
MSRP: $25,860
Invoice: $23,428

2008 Acura TSX (5-spd. auto-trans.)
MSRP: $28,190
Invoice: $25,915

I'm really keen towards the Accord's interior, dare I say it: it's perhaps the best interior currently available in any make/model! However, the exterior styling leaves me a bit ambivalent.

The current TSX has a very ordinary interior, IMHO. However, the exterior styling is relatively sleek & sporty.

Is it likely that the TSX will be discounted to below invoice as the redesigned 2009 models hit the dealer lots?

I plan on making a purchase within one month, tops.

(*pls. no mention of the 2008 Lexus IS250, unless I can acquire a brand-new one for $25k, lol! :p )

Personally, I prefer the TSX - quicker, sportier, looks better, nice interior, excellent sound system, better handling, and overall more fun.

However, the TSX has a small rear seat so it's not much good for people that regularly carry more than one passenger.

The Accord is more plush (though still quite firm and well damped), much larger inside and out, has a more updated interior (I'd agree that it's the best interior for its price, and then some). It's much better for carrying people and cargo as well. I'd say the Accord is the better car for older folks.

So, for your Mom, get the Accord - they're readily available at or near invoice. The TSX is also available at or below invoice but it's not the right car for a middle-aged or older person, in my opinion (unless they're a "car nut" that truly enjoys driving sportier cars).

I like the Accord for your ma. I'd throw out styling altogether or mitigate it's importance as a factor in the decision. Of course, no one wants to drive an ugly car but there may be more important characteristics (like interior comfort and space, ride, use of premium fuel, less tech gadgetry, cargo capacity) that favor the Accord.

But just my .02.

I sell Acura's, but I'm going to have to go with the Accord on this one.

By the way, the 09 TSX is on it's way here. Some dealers already have theirs. There is no factory money on them as of now and I don't know if there will be. Point being, don't hold your breath for below invoice. In our area, the inventories are not that high. I doubt they will really throw any money at the TSX to get rid of any last remaining cars. Although one never knows....

I actually just purchased an '08 Accord EX (4cyl) and I love it. I was debating between the accord, camry, and tsx. I was seeing too many camry's, although in a matter of months, it'll be the same for the accord. I do like accord's styling alot better than the camry's.

The reason why I eliminated the tsx is because they're comming out with a new gen and I rather wait on that until i am financially ready. Tsx's insurance is a bit higher (for me atleast), requires more $$ in maintenance in the long run and I believe you need to feed premium gas all the time (correct me if i am wrong)

I've had the accord for about a week now and I've been averaging 30+ mpg since i do mostly highway driving. As days pass by, I'm seeing more accords on the road. Hope this helps.

time to do it...

warrenw, SH-AWD most def' will help the TSX gain some market-share in it's segment vs. it's AWD competitors (ie. Audi A4 Quattro, Mercedes Benz C-class 4Matic, Lexus IS250 AWD, etc').

As it is though, we reside in Texas and AWD isn't really necessary! Sigh, though RWD would've been nice. . .

minsbang, thanks for the perspective. My mom also found the Camry to be uninspiring (I thought the interior was bleckh!).

You are correct, the TSX requires premium fuel whereas the Accord EX is fine w/ regular unleaded.

Zuerst, I *personally* would've preferred an '08 Accord coupe. I find it's overall shape much more desirable than even a Mercedes Benz CLK and BMW 3-series coupe! But, my mom' is very much preferential towards 4doors for her 3G's (Grandkids, Groceries, Gangsta's... lol, she's always out w/ her cohort socializing and they all do some sort of systematic ride-sharing)... hence, the need for adequate rear-passenger space.

White92, IF the outgoing TSX model can be acquired for well below invoice ( <$25,915) then I would've given serious consideration only. Thanks for the insider info', really appreciate it! If any wicked deals emerge on the '08 TSX, please be sure to let me know.

JonBoy & Ponyboy, thanks for the great advice. You guys are quite accurate based on all what you have said. The '08 Accord EX-L auto' seems like the logical choice. Unless a very enticing price-reduction w/ the now dated '08 TSX auto' occurs, it'll be Accord all-the-way.

The only thing that irked me regarding the newly redesigned Accord was it's front-fascia! To me, it seems more befitting on a pickup-truck/SUV. Also, the head-lamps are glorified reflectors not projectors (I had planned on doing a Xenon HID install', but not so keen towards doing a retro-fit). However, the side profile and rear-quarter/fascia are quite sophisticated; almost Mercedes Benz S-Class'esque. The Accord's interior will be shared for the most part w/ the newly arriving '09 TSX, damn shame the '08 TSX didn't have a similar layout/ergonomics. On the flip-side, I liked the after-market aero'parts for the TSX along w/ the A-Spec bits. There is quite a lot of JDM/tuner support out there in terms of aesthetics. Then again, emulating a boy-racer w/ my mom's ride is so high-school'ish! :D

Anyways, thanks everyone for the insights which are always most welcome by me! :cool:

The 09 TSX will come with optional All-wheel-drive.
this may not be an issue for you. Any place there is real winter driving required, you can't beat it.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C13492/

That's a rumor, not a fact. Not sure why that site stated it as a fact but it is definitely not fact. There's a significant amount of backlash right now because Acura has only confirmed one motor (the same old 2.4L motor from the last generation, with slight tweaks) and FWD only.

The diesel motor should arrive in 2009 and everyone is hoping the turbo or a V6 with SH-AWD arrive with it it (or at the MMC), but so far nothing confirmed.

That's a rumor, not a fact. Not sure why that site stated it as a fact but it is definitely not fact. There's a significant amount of backlash right now because Acura has only confirmed one motor (the same old 2.4L motor from the last generation, with slight tweaks) and FWD only.

The diesel motor should arrive in 2009 and everyone is hoping the turbo or a V6 with SH-AWD arrive with it it (or at the MMC), but so far nothing confirmed.

What he said. SH-AWD was just a rumor. It's probably not going to happen. Not for awhile if at all anyway. The cars are already on their way to the dealerships. Some already have them. They are still fwd. They will introduce a turbo diesel later on. But if they planned SH-AWD for this car i would have already been designed into the platform. I just don't see it happening. Now back on topic.

I'd go Accord for the mom, take the money you save and buy her flowers. (Use the rest for stuff on your NSX :biggrin: )

Just saw the new '09 TSX in person yesterday (4/10/08) looks very nice-bigger.....I'd buy the '09 over the 1st gen styling. Under the hood there is a ton of room for something much larger + in the drive train dept., under the car, Acura has provided room for AWD stuff if warranted.

Just saw the new '09 TSX in person yesterday (4/10/08) looks very nice-bigger.....I'd buy the '09 over the 1st gen styling. Under the hood there is a ton of room for something much larger + in the drive train dept., under the car, Acura has provided room for AWD stuff if warranted.

Good to know! I haven't seen it yet. It hasn't arrived at our dealership, but should anyday now.

Wife and I are looking for a new car (her DD) and test driven both. We really liked the Accord EX-L V6's quiet & effortless driving. 08 TSX's 4 banger + auto tranny (must for wife) just don't compare. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We test drove a 4 cyl. Accord EX also but the V6 drove tons better.

Accordin' to me...

So which one did you end up buying? FYI we bought the Accord EX-L V6 and it's been great.
Nice '08 Accord you ended up w/! What color-combo' did you get? Those '08 Accord EX-L V6 sedans are the complete package, IMHO.

We ended up going w/ a Polished Metal Metallic & gray '08 Accord LX sedan w/ automatic-transmission and had the dealer swap out the complete cloth-interior for dark-graphite leather (www.katzkin.com). I had a tentative deal for an EX-L, but it was out-of-town. By the time I had a chance to go take a look at it, it had sold. At the same dealership (www.gunnhonda.com in San Antonio), we found another one to our liking, but an LX this time (price was too good to look past).

Prior to my search, the things that I wasn't overly keen towards getting unless I had to, included: power moon-roof, heated mirrors/seats, premium sound-system w/ 6cd-in'dash, stock alloy-wheels, etc'. So the LX worked out well. I actually just wanted an OEM quality leather-interior, and I planned on getting some after-market wheels as well. Meanwhile, I've added an OEM trunk-lid rear-deck spoiler lip and a polished exhaust-tip.

However, things that I really wanted but weren't included in the LX-model: driver's power-seat & leather-covered steering-wheel (can be acquired for $125 from online Honda OEM parts vendors, not too bad actually).

I *think* the V6 is the way to go if you want any degree of performance or enthusiast/spirited driving. The i4 is efficient and peppy, but not too exciting.

In every facet, but sporty-handling: '08 Accord > '08 & even the '09 TSX. . .

To improve handling, the '04-'08 TL sway-bars can be installed as well as getting more performance-oriented, all-season tires w/ increased grip vs. the standard OEM rubber.

Check-out www.driveaccord.net, if you're a current/potential Accord owner. It's like the NSXPrime of Accords, lol! :D

Last edited:
So... you're adding an OEM trunk-lid rear-deck spoiler lip, a polished exhaust-tip and aftermarket wheels to your MOM'S car.... uh huh...... does she know this is her car? :)

Accord, built in Ohio

TSX, built in Japan: Slightly longer warrantee, more fun to drive, better styling.

If you want the Honda badge, why not an Accord V6? It has a simlar price point as the TSX.

econo-stylin'...

So... you're adding an OEM trunk-lid rear-deck spoiler lip, a polished exhaust-tip and aftermarket wheels to your MOM'S car.... uh huh...... does she know this is her car? :)
What can I say, if she doesn't look good - I don't look good... lol! :D

If you want the Honda badge, why not an Accord V6? It has a simlar price point as the TSX.
I'm in complete agreement, man!

My 2-pence...

• '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav' has the same identical interior as the '09 TSX Tech'
  • '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav' greatly outperforms the '09 TSX Tech'
  • '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav' has a lot more interior-space than the '09 TSX Tech'
  • '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav' uses regular gas, whereas premium gas is required for the '09 TSX Tech'
  • '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav' has a MSRP of ~$2K less than that of the '09 TSX Tech'
  • '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Nav' can be acquired for ~$500-$750 below invoice whereas right at MSRP for the '09 TSX Tech'

Last edited:
Re: Accordin' to me...

However, things that I really wanted but weren't included in the LX-model: driver's power-seat & leather-covered steering-wheel (can be acquired for $125 from online Honda OEM parts vendors, not too bad actually).

I *think* the V6 is the way to go if you want any degree of performance or enthusiast/spirited driving. The i4 is efficient and peppy, but not too exciting.

To improve handling, the '04-'08 TL sway-bars can be installed as well as getting more performance-oriented, all-season tires w/ increased grip vs. the standard OEM rubber.

Check-out www.driveaccord.net, if you're a current/potential Accord owner. It's like the NSXPrime of Accords, lol! :D

You should have getting a LX-P model... then you will have your powerseat.

I sell hondas for living and the accord is arguably the best product in Honda lineup right now... (At least in N.A. market.)

Re: Accordin' to me...

Nice '08 Accord you ended up w/! What color-combo' did you get? Those '08 Accord EX-L V6 sedans are the complete package, IMHO.

Congratulations on your purchase! We bought Albaster Silver/Black leather int. with standard options as Wife did not care about nav sys or, any other optional items. TSX is very nice (except the 4-banger & the front grill) but we paid under inv. for the Accord :wink:. So far, very happy with the purchase.

I leased my Mom a 09 TSX for Mother's day and she couldnt be happier. I think she just cracked 1000 miles.:redface:I went to the Ride and Drive and was so blown away, I just had to. I think it was the first new car she had ever had:wink:I'll post up some pics when I get home:redface:

I leased my Mom a 09 TSX for Mother's day and she couldnt be happier. I think she just cracked 1000 miles.:redface:I went to the Ride and Drive and was so blown away, I just had to. I think it was the first new car she had ever had:wink:I'll post up some pics when I get home:redface:

can you give me the inside scoop on what the best deal on 09 TSX's are? i heard they are going for 3% over invoice at dealers in CA, NC, and GA... have you seen anything better?

Last edited:
can you give me the inside scoop on what the best deal on 09 TSX's are? i heard they are going for 3% over invoice at a dealer in CA... have you seen anything better?

Not sure about the West Coast market, I know the NE has the lowest gross in the country. We have about 10 Acura dealers in a 40 mile radius:frown: Try PM'ing Pierceman, he's an Acura dealer too:wink:

Not sure about the West Coast market, I know the NE has the lowest gross in the country. We have about 10 Acura dealers in a 40 mile radius:frown: Try PM'ing Pierceman, he's an Acura dealer too:wink:

I'm in MI... I went to 2 dealers. 1 had 3, the other had 1. They are not budging from MSRP.

Back