• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2010 Ferrari 458 Italia: "Have we met before?"

With the launch of the 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia, it seems like everywhere I turn, I encounter more articles or video clips of how this car is like the "second coming"...

While the car is definitely visually pleasing, I couldn't help but wonder where I have seen that car before... you know, that same feeling that compels you to walk up to a woman at a bar and say, "Have we met before?" But before she has a chance to say "No... you must have been mistaken", you realize that you HAVE seen her before.

Despite trading in her Japanese accent for an Italian one, she's still the same girl that you had met long ago. How do you know, you ask? Well... just look at the rear quarter-panel and that notch leading you to the glass that covers her... (*gulp*) engine.

Not convinced? Check out the following exhibits:

Exhibit A: 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia

ferrari458Italia.jpg

Exhibit B: 2008 Honda HSC - Concept

hsc.jpg

Last edited:
those two pictures aren't even close...

one is obviously red and the other silver. psh. :tongue:

The 458 is absolutely gorgeous but the HSC was no slouch. And don't forget, the basic HSC design has been kicking around since 2003.

As I always say I think quite a bit of the negative opinions about the HSC, especially on Prime, were back when many thought Honda could do better and expected an NSX successor to be comparable and as visually stunning as the original NSX was in 1991.

I also think a lot of us were also disappointed with the suggested choice of powerplant and knocked the HSC around a bit for that reason.

That being said, looking back, I don't think anyone could disagree that with a few design tweaks here and there and even a lazy attempt at a decent engine like a factory-option CTSC C32 the HSC would have been outstanding. But the suggested 3.5L 325 hp V6 wasn't going to cut it.

Put in perspective if Honda had a good SH-AWD system and a good F1 tranny ready to go in 2003 the HSC would have been a huge success. Even using a CTSC C32 as opposed to a 4-4.5L 400-450 hp V8 that they should have developed it would have been fine at a price up to $125K. It would have been a solid competitor with the 911 Turbo, possibly being faster with good SH-AWD.

It's funny, I was just reading an article about the 458 Italia today while I was waiting to get some tires mounted, and I was thinking what an amazing looking car it is.
Honda dropped the ball on that one.

How about exhibit #3?
The HSC is hardly an original design. When it first came out, many people including myself thought that it looked like a 360 or even an Enzo. Let it go. The NSX is dead and the HSC was a big nothing. Tiny company like Ferrari has the dedications to improve their sport cars and win F1 Champsionships. There is NOTHING that the Ferrari needs to copy from the ancient NSX.
Steve

Attachments

• ferrari_360_modena_005.jpg
    ferrari_360_modena_005.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Back