• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2019 or 2020 NSX

I'm looking at two brand new NSX's. One is a 2019 with quite a few extras including the interior and exterior carbon fiber options (not the roof). The other is a 2020 with basically no options. After discounts and incentives, the prices of the 2 are about the same. Just curious if it makes more sense to go for the newest one or the 2019 with more options. It doesn't seem like the options make for a better performing car so I'm leaning towards the 2020. I'm hoping to get everything nailed down within a day or two so would appreciate comments from current and other potential owners.

Thanks

I think the 19's have meaningful updates..not sure any significant changes in 20 other than a color..

Trouble is I like both colors (curva red and yellow). Both have full new car warranty. I agree, no real updates. At this point I'll just wait to see if either dealer actually come through with their quotes.

Which one makes you feel special? While the yellow is new for 2020, I personally prefer the Curva Red. What are the other options on the Red car other than Carbon Fiber? What about brakes? Do they both have steel? If I could swap my 2017 Blue that has all options available for either the 2019 or the 2020 I would do neither. Very few new of the newer cars will have all the options. The 2017s were unique in that way. In the end, which ever color you get I bet you will be super happy. Best of luck and welcome to the group.

Thanks for your responses. Looks like neither dealer is coming through. It's not like I don't currently have a nice car so I'm not going to push it and will wait and see if they decide to come around. On the red we had agreed on the price, although they were not calculating sales tax correctly for my state which would have caused me to overpay by 1,000s. I'm sure I could get them to see the error but instead they decided they couldn't pay the amount for my trade "given the soft market for high end cars." The yellow car the would only discount by the incentive which resulted in a payment far in excess of what they quoted me just the day before. Perhaps they have enough interest from another buyer.

I do appreciate the comments and thoughts expressed on this forum so will likely hang around for a bit while I decide to pursue another NSX, keep my car, or maybe just try something else. My friends call me a "sampler" because I do like to try new and different cars all the time. They don't believe me when I tell them that I'm currently just trying to find something that I'll connect with and not want to sell. :)

If for any reason you want to sell or trade the car in the next few years the 2020 should be worth more because it is one model year newer. On the other hand if you tend to keep cars forever like me you should get the that you like better. After many decades in the car business I can say that the happiest buyers were the ones who bought the car that they really liked and the unhappiest ones were the people who found a way to rationalize buying one they didn't like as much.

If for any reason you want to sell or trade the car in the next few years the 2020 should be worth more because it is one model year newer. On the other hand if you tend to keep cars forever like me you should get the that you like better. After many decades in the car business I can say that the happiest buyers were the ones who bought the car that they really liked and the unhappiest ones were the people who found a way to rationalize buying one they didn't like as much.

Good advice, thank you.

Well both deals fell through. The red one was at a dealer that was too far away to be able to handle my trade and give me a price that even equaled what Carmax offered locally just to buy it. I understand it's okay. The dealer with the yellow one must be on another planet as they gave me a fair trade value but jacked up the sales tax and our state registration fee. I tried showing them that they made an error but they refused to listen, just said he got the amounts from a service they use. Also, I could never get a straight answer as to the Acura Financial interest rate. They seem very sketchy. I've purchase over 200 cars and have never had so much trouble buying a car. Guess it wasn't meant to be. I do appreciate the input I received from the above members. I had a first gen NSX so at least I owned that one. Not going to pursue this any further.

You could just sell your old car to Carmax; no need to trade. Which dealer had the curva red? I might be interested in it, if you've really given up on it...

You could just sell your old car to Carmax; no need to trade. Which dealer had the curva red? I might be interested in it, if you've really given up on it...

The dealer reached out this morning to see if we can reach a compromise. Not trading would cost me the sales tax benefit which makes it breaks the deal. In my state you only pay sales tax on the net difference between the price of the new less the trade value of the old. In my case that’s nearly a $6K savings. If we don’t come to an agreement I’ll post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ,

Are you able to PM me? I am not buying the red NSX and would be happy to provide you the contact information. I didn't know if the forum rules allowed me to do so publicly. As a new member I don't seem to be able to send you a message directly. If it turns out that it's okay to give you the info publicly I'm happy to do so.

On a very positive note I did wind up buying the yellow 2020 NSX.

Congrats on your purchase on the yellow one. :)

Does Acura still provide a scale model that matches the car?

Congrats on reaching a deal for the yellow one, and thanks for offering to pass along the dealer details on the red one. I don't think there's a forum rule against it, and I can't send you a PM either (maybe you need to be a member for a certain length of time before PMs are allowed).

That being said, I've decided not to go after it. If I get a red, I'd want the "fancy" red. Plus it seems odd to have all the carbon fiber bits but NOT the roof. So thanks for your willingness to help a fellow member out, but I'll pass for now.

Congrats on your purchase on the yellow one. :)

Does Acura still provide a scale model that matches the car?

got mine in Feb 2020. they no longer give the model but Honda sends you a fancy carbon fiber pen with your chassis number engraved.

got mine in Feb 2020. they no longer give the model but Honda sends you a fancy carbon fiber pen with your chassis number engraved.

Too bad, but the fancy pen with chassis number is still nice. At least it is one of a kind and unique to the car.

Too bad, but the fancy pen with chassis number is still nice. At least it is one of a kind and unique to the car.

But now you have me wanting a model of my exact car. :smile: I guess I'll just have to live with another pen. I'll put it with the ones Porsche sent me that never worked.

But now you have me wanting a model of my exact car. :smile: I guess I'll just have to live with another pen. I'll put it with the ones Porsche sent me that never worked.

Haha, that was not my intension. :D At least it is not a generic pen, but one of kind with the chassis number. I'm sure it still sit well next to your Porsche models.

It is nice to have a model of the exact spec. We usually have to live with something similar.
I guess the next best thing is to have one made for you. Similar to what Doug DeMuro did for his Defender. https://modelworksdirect.com/custom-car-models/

Last edited:

Want to buy our car? Here, let me give you a pen to sign! They did fro me that at a mortgage closing once.

I hope is much nicer than the pen they gave me when I test drove the car when it first came out.

Yes, it's a much nicer pen. The pen is made by Eagle Pen Company. It's a nice pen but not the most attractive in my opinion. I like to joke...buy a $125K+ car and get a free pen! Woohoo!

I do wish we still got the 1:18 scale car model though. I've been trying to find one online (made by any company) that matches my NSX, but I haven't been able to find a good one. Either the seats on the model will be red instead of black, or it'll be a right-hand drive, or the wheels will be different, etc.

I did also receive a few weeks ago a carbon fiber NSX money clip from Acura. That was a surprise.

Yes, it's a much nicer pen. The pen is made by Eagle Pen Company. It's a nice pen but not the most attractive in my opinion. I like to joke...buy a $125K+ car and get a free pen! Woohoo!

I do wish we still got the 1:18 scale car model though. I've been trying to find one online (made by any company) that matches my NSX, but I haven't been able to find a good one. Either the seats on the model will be red instead of black, or it'll be a right-hand drive, or the wheels will be different, etc.

I did also receive a few weeks ago a carbon fiber NSX money clip from Acura. That was a surprise.

After one year of ownership, Acura sent this.

718d5b089f2a5799ca4f9d1204d1ca17.jpg

After one year of ownership, Acura sent this.

718d5b089f2a5799ca4f9d1204d1ca17.jpg

I got two of those useless Tumi bags. I gave one to my daughter to put her Barbie accessories in, and the other to my son for him to put any crap he wanted to in it. What a joke of a gift.

I still have the scale model of my Lemon NSX. At least it goes straight when my son plays with it. 😂

I got two of those useless Tumi bags. I gave one to my daughter to put her Barbie accessories in, and the other to my son for him to put any crap he wanted to in it. What a joke of a gift.

I still have the scale model of my Lemon NSX. At least it goes straight when my son plays with it. 😂

DocL, you have such a negative attitude towards Acura and the second-gen NSX. I read many of your posts even before joining the forum, and as I read more of your posts, I still wonder to this day why you stick around here. Why not just close this chapter in your life and move on to things that make you happier? Or do you find pleasure in posting negative post after negative post, bashing Acura and the car? Just wondering...

Back