• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2019 Quiet / EV Mode Upgraded Algorithm Programming?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I was watching a shop (LHT Performance) document their latest purchase of a 2019 Orange NSX on youtube. On one video he was explaining/demonstrating the usage of Quiet Mode. It seems the 2019 NSX allows you to use much more of the EV mode (ICE is turned off) up to about 65mph. I've driven a few 2017s and the ICE seems to come on almost instantaneously all the time. Rarely did the Quiet mode stay in EV mode. This could have been due to a few factors like current state of battery charge, aggressiveness of "gas" pedal modulation, etc... but my general takeway was there really was no true EV mode because the car's baseline state in Quiet Mode is usually with the engine on.

It just seems that there's been significant programming changes done to the 2019. Is that true?

Start around 2:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqtSb8_kDY

Last edited:
Besides demand, accelerator rate of change, and battery state, another important input is keeping the ICE temperature optimal. If you're creeping along in electric only and punch the throttle, the ICE will immediately fire and be ready to supply the demand. Therefore, the engine shouldn't be cold for ICE longevity.... Maybe now that Honda has more real-world feedback they've reduced the temperature conservatism somewhat?

Also, the only source of in-cabin heat is from the ICE, so if it's cold and you want heat, the ICE will fire and run until needed even if you're creeping along or trying to run it in EV mode. LHT is in a nice warmer climate....

ICBW, but that's how it seemed to react when I drove a 2017 NSX. I'm pretty sure I was cruising at ~50MPH without the ICE on. My parents have a 2019 MDX hybrid and it reacts similarly.

Last edited:
he showed the ICE kicking in around 35 or 40mph. i think he was confused.

but the EV might kick in at freeway speeds under light load. its been a while since i've driven one on the freeway under light acceleration.

Last edited:
Back