• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2020 Corvette has a engine bay rain problem

Not sure that is a big deal. Engines can get wet. I washed my engine bays from time to time on all my cars.

Not sure that is a big deal. Engines can get wet. I washed my engine bays from time to time on all my cars.

This will certainly kill the sales of the C8. Lol. Seriously.

How about the rear window garnish that dumps water on the spark plug coil packs in the Gen1? How many of us had misfires as a result and had to replace the coil packs.

Last edited:
I never thought that the water entering the engine compartment would be a mechanical issue, more a cosmetic problem. I just did not like the engine getting wet as it would end up with water spots and dirt and grim would more easily find their way in.

This will certainly kill the sales of the C8. Lol. Seriously. How about the rear window garnish that dumps water on the spark plug coil packs in the Gen1? How many of us had misfires as a result and had to replace the coil packs.
No I don't believe it will necessarily hurt sales, however it is more about finesse and getting things right. As you noted that was a problem for the early NSX. That should be a consideration in designing a car. When ever I get a new car, I often find in owning it the little things that are annoying that could have been dealt with. As an example, I really love my Volvo XC90 T8 Plugin Hybrid. What I am annoyed by is that after cleaning the car, I will drive it a short distance and find the rear window has all sorts of dust on the back. The aerodynamics allow that rear to become heavily loaded with dirt. So I have a really clean car but a back end that looks like shit. I know in the scheme of things not a big issue. I just wish that Volvo would have looked at something like this and played with the aerodynamics to keep that area cleaner. This is what anal retentive people do in their spare time worry about stupid shit......

Hey, Remember I am Anal Retentive here. I got nothing to do but look for foolish shit. I am helping the community communicate..... Remember Water Spots can hurt you!

Last edited:
It’s funny. I was watching the review by Doug DeMouro and noticed an excessive amount of water in the engine compartment.

Yea, I saw the review. He was doing it in the rain. I can tell you that washing the car does not pool the water on top of the engine. At least that has been my experience.

When I wash my NSX, I end up with water in the engine compartment. I get water on the lower inside part of the rear window, water on the plastic cover with the build number plaque, and water on the side plastic covers.

So out of sheer boredom, I decided to do an experiment. I purposely rinsed off the car specifically over the rear hatch using a hose set to maximum throughput. I made sure I wet the top of the window as well as the sides and then a lot near the bottom of the window where there is an opening. I took pictures of the aftermath. I then quickly dried the outside and then opened the hatch and immediately took pictures. While there was some water on the inside glass separating the cabin from the engine bay it seemed to be concentrated at the bottom right and left sides. I saw some water on both sides of the engine bay (the piece that contains the struts) as well as some water near the back of the hatch near the rear bumper that has water. Obviously that water came through the opening. You can see more water on the underside of the hatch at the back as to be expected. I did not see water on top of the engine as was the case with the Corvette. Not saying it was perfect as there are no seals under the hatch to make it a tight fit. But it was not as bad as was witnessed watching the video. What do you all think? Besides my wasting my time pursuing a stupid topic.

Last edited:
Those are all the same places that I get water. I try to be careful to not direct the stream from my pressure washer at the seals themselves (I try a top-down approach), but I still manage to get water in there sometimes, not nearly as bad as in your photos. I must be unconsciously spraying water at the seals from some other angle when I'm rinsing part of the body off.

In my experiment I purposely tried to get water on to the engine. So in the end I think our cars fair better than the Corvette. Having said that I guess one would expect that result, given the price of our car compared to the corvette.

Back