• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2022 Official last drive thread.

I think I'm down to the last few days of driving before salt hits the roads here in Wisconsin. Curious to know when other people put their cars away for the winter, and thought it would be fun to have people list the date so other owners can see what the driving 'season' looks like in different parts of the country.

My rule is that the car goes away whenever I see the salt trucks come out for the first time. I’m in central NY so that could be any time from mid October onward. Last year we got lucky and I was able to drive into the first week of November. So far this year we’ve had some great fall weather and I was able to drive about 150 miles yesterday with clear blue skies and temps in the mid 60s. I even had the top off for a little while!

Attachments

• 128DAF77-FAA1-4ED1-9E9F-EA6CBC400E3E.jpeg
    128DAF77-FAA1-4ED1-9E9F-EA6CBC400E3E.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here on the east coast of Canada, I follow ShawnOT's rule of no drives after the salt trucks appear. His timeline sounds about the same as here too. Shit weather can appear anytime from mid October on. All is well so far this fall. Sometimes the fun cars can come out around the first week of April in time for my birthday, but last year it was well into May. I have an added bonus of a few hundred yards of dirt road before getting to pavement, so I wait till it fully dries out also. That usually adds 2 or 3 weeks wait, even after the salt has washed off the main roads. For years the fun cars were stored elsewhere and no dirt road. Added several weeks to the driving season.

It's looks like I'll have a little repressive as no salt yet, and looks like a day or two in the 70s this weekend. Last year I made it to early Nov, but it got chilly early this year.

the bee is still running about....

I use secure off-site storage which involves a drive of about 20 km, part of it down a gravel road. Because I wrap the car up in a storage bag it definitely must not be wet so I plan for pre snow conditions which usually means going into storage around Oct 15 to be safe. This year I did it Oct 5 because I needed the garage space for a project.

The car normally comes out of storage the second week in April except in 2014 when there was still a 1 m high pile of snow in our front on May 1.

First flake of snow I put the "fun" cars away. Actually the '69 Camaro goes first, then this year being the first year with the car I'll keep the NSX out into November unless it snows early.

Camaro New Milford.jpgWith New Wheels.jpg

My garage door closed on the NSX after it's last drive on the 4th which was the last day we had in the 60s. Been in the 30s-40s the last two weeks and salt hit the roads at the end of last week. If were lucky I'll be back on the road sometime in early April.

My garage door closed on the NSX after it's last drive on the 4th which was the last day we had in the 60s. Been in the 30s-40s the last two weeks and salt hit the roads at the end of last week. If were lucky I'll be back on the road sometime in early April.
I thought the garage door literally closed on top of the NSX. Feeling relieved : )
Edited: Corrected spelling.

Last edited:
I'm putting it away this weekend. Had to keep it out as my daily is in the process of spitting out it's transmission. We have salt on some roads now for early AM ice, so I won't be driving any more this season. Bummer....

As of yesterday our little herd are all put away. Hand washed, topped off with premium, on tenders, and covered.
Sleeping. Awaiting the new year and the inevitable Michigan spring potholes and frost heaves.

I washed my Zanardi and tucked it away for winter. Did my usual routine. Mini detail, threw any hoarded parts in the trunk for the next season, put on the battery tender and under the SOS satin car cover it goes.

Planning on installing my Comptech headers, a NSX-R one piece armest and maybe a long over due timing belt and water pump service. I admittedly haven't driven it much since I got the Type S but fell in love all over again on yesterday's ride home. Such an amazing car.

I'll repeat the process with my other NSX but it needs to be started once a month and run in Sport + mode as per Acura recommendations, so I might take it out every now and again if this winter is mild. I drive my S2000 year round as long as the rounds are clear to get my sport car fix.

How lucky some folks are to not have to think about things like this, suppose it makes us appreciate the cars more.

Attachments

• Zanardi Rutgers.JPG
    Zanardi Rutgers.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 11
I washed my Zanardi and tucked it away for winter. Did my usual routine. Mini detail, threw any hoarded parts in the trunk for the next season, put on the battery tender and under the SOS satin car cover it goes.

Planning on installing my Comptech headers, a NSX-R one piece armest and maybe a long over due timing belt and water pump service. I admittedly haven't driven it much since I got the Type S but fell in love all over again on yesterday's ride home. Such an amazing car.

I'll repeat the process with my other NSX but it needs to be started once a month and run in Sport + mode as per Acura recommendations, so I might take it out every now and again if this winter is mild. I drive my S2000 year round as long as the rounds are clear to get my sport car fix.

How lucky some folks are to not have to think about things like this, suppose it makes us appreciate the cars more.
Late November in San Diego!

It does help keep the miles off the car. If it was nice year round I'd take out the NSX any time it wasn't raining...

Back