• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

23 Coolant hose kit -- what other hoses to replace?

I bought the 23 coolant hose kit from science of speed.
What other hoses do people replace?

My car is 15 years old with all original rubber.
I'm going in for my 2nd TB/WP and figured now is the time.
Doing everything preventive that I can.
Recos?

The kit I have so far includes:
1 HOSE E, BYPASS
1 HOSE B, OIL COOLER OUTLET
1 HOSE, OIL COOLER INLET
1 HOSE A, OIL COOLER OUTLET
2 HOSE C, BYPASS (1991-96)
1 HOSE A, BYPASS (1991-94)
1 HOSE B, BYPASS (1991-94)
1 HOSE, EXPANSION LOWER
1 HOSE, EXPANSION UPPER
1 TUBE, OVERFLOW
1 HOSE, WATER OUTLET (HEATER)
1 HOSE, WATER ENGINE INLET
1 HOSE, WATER HEATER INLET
1 HOSE A, WATER INLET
1 HOSE A, WATER JOINT
1 HOSE B, WATER JOINT
1 HOSE, MAIN FRONT UPPER (WHITE) (1991-96)
1 HOSE, MAIN FRONT LOWER (WHITE) (1991-96)
1 HOSE, MAIN MIDDLE UPPER
1 HOSE, MAIN MIDDLE LOWER
1 HOSE, MAIN REAR UPPER
1 HOSE, MAIN REAR LOWER

As far as hoses, you may also want to replace all the vacuum lines- they are rubber too and pinhole vacuum leak can cause lots of issues with the NSX. Also the 2 ABS hoses on the ABS unit. Fuel lines are important too- 15 years old rubber plus heat plus gasoline = scary. :) Replace the clutch slave high-pressure hose and clutch master reservoir hose.

Also, I would do all rubber seals on the engine, i.e., spool valves, oil pressure sender, oil pump "figure 8", valve cover gasket set, and rear main seal. This might also be a good time to have your CV boots done.

As far as hoses, you may also want to replace all the vacuum lines- they are rubber too and pinhole vacuum leak can cause lots of issues with the NSX. Also the 2 ABS hoses on the ABS unit. Fuel lines are important too- 15 years old rubber plus heat plus gasoline = scary. :) Replace the clutch slave high-pressure hose and clutch master reservoir hose.

Also, I would do all rubber seals on the engine, i.e., spool valves, oil pressure sender, oil pump "figure 8", valve cover gasket set, and rear main seal. This might also be a good time to have your CV boots done.

Great ideas, thanks. I wish I knew the Acura master mechanic personally. I have a feeling I'm about to pay my Acura dealers mortgage.

No prob. If you're looking for other stuff to do with the engine out, I would recommend:

1. Harmonic balancer - This really should be part of the 90k service; they do fail and it is usually catastrophic.

2. Crank angle sensor - While easy to replace, it is very hard to access and is worth peace of mind for the next 20 years.

3. Cam plugs and seals - Parts are cheap and it will buy you another 10-20 years.

4. Rebuild alternator and starter - Most shops will do them for $50-$100 and you're as good as new.

5. A/C belt tensioner

6. Timing belt tensioner/spring

7. Oil pan gasket

8. I would also consider the clutch master and slave. They tend to go out between 15-20 years.

Your in VA, that a hop skip and a jump to Larry B and I don't think it will cost you a mortgage to do it.

If you haven't already, throw on some fresh stainless steel brake lines

Its a cheap upgrade during your refresh spending spree : )

inspect your brake lines while you are at it

double check your CV boots for age and tears

---> replace your injector seals <---

+1 to having Larry B do the work

Back