• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

245/35/R17 - Front setup?

So i might be sponsored again by toyo next year, but they are VERY limited in sizing and not really NSX friendly

BUT i was just wondering

my new Rim setup would be

Front 17x8.5 +30 Front
Rear 18x10 +26 Rear

Ideally I would be Running the traditional setup

215/40R17 Front
255/35R18 Rear 25.1"

Closest i would get for the front with the R1R would be 245/35r17 if they currently had 205/40r17 i would have already went with that.

diameter of the tires are only 23.8" But just wondering would this work or as anyone used this tire size on a stock body NSX up front?

Current setup right now

Front 225/35R18 Toyo T1 Sport - 18x8.5 +31 (rubbing only on full lock)
Rear 275/35R18 Toyo T1 Sport - 18x9.5 +26 No Rubbing

Currently on stock shocks with Tien S-Tech Springs but will soon be on full coilovers after.

IMG_7814_zps5906246f.jpg

currently how it sits with the current setup.

Thanks for your input if anyone has any.

Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Clearance is affected by both the outer diameter of the tire, and by its width. Either can cause problems with rubbing.

215/40-17 usually clears the wheel wells in most situations, but just barely; anything larger usually rubs somewhere. 245/35-17 is the same outer diameter (23.75" vs 23.77"), but because it's 30 mm wider, I'm guessing it will probably rub at least a little, although you would have to try it to be sure.

I'm also not sure what your objective is, or the objective of your sponsorship. Is this for racetrack usage? (I'm guessing no, because otherwise you probably wouldn't be using the T1 Sport, which is a street tire, and would want one of their R compound track tires.) Is this for car shows? If so, you would probably want to concentrate on a tire with a blingier tread compound, like their R1R, one of their R comps, or another brand of tire. Also, if this is for the racetrack or for car shows, you might be willing to permit a small amount of rubbing, which you might not accept for normal street use. So let us know what, exactly, you're trying to achieve.

If you don't insist on Toyo branded tires, three of the supersticky street tires ("extreme performance" in Tire Rack terminology) are available in 215/40-17: Dunlop Direzza ZII, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, and Falken Azenis RT-615K. All offer great performance and have a flashy tread pattern too.

If you must have Toyo tires due to the sponsorship's requirements, the Toyo R888 track tire is available in 205/40-17, which ought to work fine with the 255/35-18 rear, in which it is also available. So that sounds like a good option for you. Or, if you're willing to accept a small amount of rubbing, the R888 and the R1R are both available in 215/45-17, and I suspect that size won't rub any more than the 245/35-17, and possibly less.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! :)

My current sponsorship is for show and will be using the wheels just for daily driving and to shows (i have another set of wheels specifically for track)

unfortunately the Toyo R888 is out of the question or else i would have went with the 205/40/r17 as my alternative tire.

smallest size tire i could go with "diameter wise" was the R1R 245/35/R17 which is 23.8" which is similar to the 215/40R17 which is why I'm leaning more to that size.

Thanks for your response! :)

My current sponsorship is for show and will be using the wheels just for daily driving and to shows (i have another set of wheels specifically for track)

unfortunately the Toyo R888 is out of the question or else i would have went with the 205/40/r17 as my alternative tire.

smallest size tire i could go with "diameter wise" was the R1R 245/35/R17 which is 23.8" which is similar to the 215/40R17 which is why I'm leaning more to that size.

I vote that it'll rub on the outside fender, especially with a 245 and a +30 offset. What's saving you right now is the tire stretch on that 8.5" wheel. Once you go 245, the tire will square up and you won't have the same clearance.

Back