• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4 days in Amsterdam, what would you do?

Post up. I'll be there on holiday in a few weeks and have never seen the city. Should be fun but I'd love to hear any and all tips (but keep the stupid remarks to a minimum :rolleyes: ). Thanks!

Sights?
Places to stay?
Place to eat?
Things to see?
Things to do?

I think there is plenty to see in Amsterdam whatever your interests are.
Can't add much to what has been said above. Funny enough, being native of the country, there are lots of places I never went to or have not visited for a long time.

Are you just going to visit Amsterdam or will you wonder outside it as well?
If you'd care to meet, must drop me a note.

…BTW, I can not stress enough the importance of renting a bike. This makes a huge difference and is much more likely to lead to a 'gezelig' experience, which is what you want.
He is right. Just make sure you lock it. During the day you will see much more with a bike. Oh, and when you hear a bike bell ringing behind you it means pull over to the right, like driving a car. And only pass somebody on the left.
Also, if you want to see impressive engineering, find a windmill (outside the city, ask a tourist bureau where) that is working, going around, pay whatever you have to and go inside.
It is all wood and powerfully impressive when in action.
And a canal boat tour is good too, you will learn a lot and see a lot.
And if you visit a coffee shop, ask to see the hash. He will pull out a drawer with lots of baggies. Lots of different types and colours, interesting.
And remember this: the part of the sidewalk that you think is the sidewalk probably isn’t. you will see what I mean when you get there. And the bicyclists will remind you of this with their bell.
MvM, if you guys meet up, let me know. I will probably be in the area. PM mij voor mijn GSM nummer als je het niet meer heb.
Have fun!

If you do rent a bike, I would suggest using Frederic on the Brouwersgracht (Brewer's Canal).

http://www.frederic.nl/

The bikes they rent will help you blend in, as they look like the bikes that Amsterdammers own. Otherwise, you will be an obvious tourist on a Yellow Bike or a red Mac Bike. You will see packs of them roving around on tours of the City.

Always lock your bike. Most bikes have two locks. One is a part of the rear brake, the other a typical cable lock. Use both and lock it to something.

When I was there last October, a friend stopped into a shop for literally 10 seconds and left his bike unlocked. It was gone when he came out.

I think there is plenty to see in Amsterdam whatever your interests are.
Can't add much to what has been said above. Funny enough, being native of the country, there are lots of places I never went to or have not visited for a long time.

Are you just going to visit Amsterdam or will you wonder outside it as well?
If you'd care to meet, must drop me a note.

Same here, I live about 45 KM from Amsterdam, but hardly ever go there.
Only good way to visit the centre is with public transportation and I hate public transportation:frown:
You guys know a lot more points of interest/ places to visit than I do:redface: .
But hey, I think this is always the case, when something is close you don't go there, you tend to visit places much farther away..
Over the last 20 years I have been on vacation to the US 4 or 5 times (2-3 weeks every time) and probably visited more places in the US than most US citizens ever will during their whole life..:rolleyes:

If there is any coffee-shop in a-dam you need to avoid it's the bulldog. Number one commercial tourist rip off shop.

I got three recommendations for your coffee-shop needs. The Extase, Oude Hoogstraat, small shop in the red light district not crowded with tourists, many interesting people, ok prices. The Dolphins, Kerkstraat, small snacks, beer and free w-lan, I mostly use it for the free w-lan if you're a customer just ask for the key and check e-mail relaxed :). De Rokerij, Leidsedwarsstraat, pool table, table football, alcoholic drinks, small snacks, fair prices, loads of poeple to meet, good place to start the evening.

Klayton

Can't believe I already forgot about Dolphins. Dolphins and Grey Area are a must. Ski, if you swing by Grey Area, try the Chocolope, the strands are from Arjun, the guy that wins Best Cannabis almost every year.

I have been there twice and just love the place.

Rijks museum
Ann frank huis
Rembrandt huis -- my fav
Van gogh museum. -- fav 2
The fries with mayo thing
The other chimichanga kinda stuff they make. Delicious. -- fav 3

The redlight district tour is fantastic. as is just walking there. We observed all kinds of stuff, like this young guy who was being convinced by his friends to just do it with one of the lovely ladies and his struggles with the ethicality of it. Old people messing with the girls and making fun of them and all. A very nice atmosphere when I was there.

If you are a fish lover, try taking the train and go to the closest beach (On the west I think), not sure. The train trip I took went via the Hague. They have these carts with all kinds of marinated fish which they fry in front of you (much like potato fries) and serve up with several dipping sauces. Fantastic stuff. The beachside atmosphere just makes it taste so much better.

Asking the bartender for his/her fav beer results in lots of unique tastes.

If pot is on the agenda, try not to overdo it (I was told that stoned tourist types are an easy mark) and best have a friend along.

If possible park near the canals in the evening. Watching whole families in open boats with candles is very cool! Have beer three times a deal with each meal.

-vamsi

Same here, I live about 45 KM from Amsterdam, but hardly ever go there.
Only good way to visit the centre is with public transportation and I hate public transportation:frown:
You guys know a lot more points of interest/ places to visit than I do:redface: .
But hey, I think this is always the case, when something is close you don't go there, you tend to visit places much farther away…
Yes, same here. I guess people who live near a tourist attraction avoid it, I go to that part of Holland a lot for meetings, and almost never go into the city. Was there 2 days ago for the first time in years.
Anyway, on the subject of bikes, yes they have 2 locks. One is a chain and the other is fixed to the bike’s frame near the rear wheel and the key remains in the lock when you are cycling.

DON’T forget to lock that fixed lock and take the key out with you.

If you don’t use the lock (so the key remains in the lock) and use only the chain, then someone like me ( when I was younger and more mischievous) will see your key in there and he will lock your bike and toss the key into the canal (just for fun).
Then you won’t be able use your bike because the rear wheel won’t rotate. It will be an embarrassing walk back to the rental place with a bike over your shoulder and you will get a few chuckles from the locals who will know what happened…
Anyway, if you rent a bike, you will see what I mean.:smile:

So I just returned from my little spur of the moment trip to Amsterdam.

Did I see much of the city center area? Yes (beautiful... living amongst the canals must be wonderful).

Did I rent a bike? No, I walked. A lot. (but I can see the obvious attraction and would next time).

Did I see the Anne Frank huiz? No. (I hate traveling "by numbers" where tourists feel compelled to visit every historic landmark for the sake of having been there :rolleyes: I'm sure it's interesting though).

Did I visit the hookers in the red light district? No. I don't pay for sex, nor would I want to support the sex-slave trade that is alive and well in Amsterdam. But I did get a real kick out of just seeing "the scene" there at night. How wild??

What did I do, then?? I read. A lot. I re-read The Alchemy of Finance (haven't read since high school). I read Soros' new book (pretty much reiterates Alchemy). I read The Black Swan (not really expecting it to have finance implications but it does very much). On top of my reading, I did quite a bit of thinking. Thinking about the messages in these books (and how I strangely relate to them :redface: ). Thinking about current economic events (but not much...thankfully). Thinking about career related issues. Thinking about personal well-being type issues. Thinking about where I want to be, and who I want to be, in this world.

I feel better for having taken the time to think --unburdened--for a while. Amsterdam is a nice place to do such a thing.

So you "thinked off" for 4 days!:eek:

3.5 days. I was in Brussels for a day & night too.

What's wrong with thinking?

JEESSZZZ, that must have been really strong stuff from the coffeeshop then.... :tongue: :biggrin:

On top of my reading, I did quite a bit of thinking. Thinking about the messages in these books (and how I strangely relate to them :redface: ). Thinking about current economic events (but not much...thankfully). Thinking about career related issues. Thinking about personal well-being type issues. Thinking about where I want to be, and who I want to be, in this world.

I feel better for having taken the time to think --unburdened--for a while. Amsterdam is a nice place to do such a thing.

Amsterdam, where the coffee shops sell all kinds of weed - that "thinking weed" is good stuff - can't say I feel like reading, but m&ms are good!:wink:

Back