• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4" Kick Panel possible with MANUAL tranny??

I was just wondering if ANYONE ever tried a kickpanel installation on a 5/6 speed NSX??.

Will I loose the option of adding a custom 10" subwoofer if I do this?

Pics would be nice...

Mike

I initially looked at doing this. It's possible but very tight. You will still have room for a sub but people's legs will seriously get in the way of the midrange for both driver and worse for the passenger. I considered this component set from Morel because of the low profile midrange. But I think the placement of the speakers in our kickpanels will leave a lot to be desired. A set of the Morel Elates would sound great in the A-pillars though with both the midrange and tweeter on the A pillar and the midbass in the doors.

Malibu Rapper said:
I initially looked at doing this. It's possible but very tight. You will still have room for a sub but people's legs will seriously get in the way of the midrange for both driver and worse for the passenger. I considered this component set from Morel because of the low profile midrange. But I think the placement of the speakers in our kickpanels will leave a lot to be desired. A set of the Morel Elates would sound great in the A-pillars though with both the midrange and tweeter on the A pillar and the midbass in the doors.

Thanks for the response!

I would imagine that with the mids/tweets on the a-pillars (Which is quite popular with the Euro crowd) will become very intrusive to a VERY NICE view you get on the NSX.

I thought about a HORN set-up, but it looks like it's going to be harder than kicks as far as install/fabrication goes.

One of the main reason for this question is because my Sponsor is looking to use this vehicle to demo their new product for CES next year and it involves a set of 4" drivers up front (most likely Kick Panels).

If there is ANY CHANCE of this to be possible, I would then begin the planning of the install process and get the car ready.

If it CANNOT be done, I guess I will have to look at a different vehicle.

Thanks
mike

I don't see any way a kick panel could be accomodated in the NSX - just no room down there because of the design of the rocker panel which extends forward into that location.

Thanks man...

BTW, if you talk to Dingaling today, I believe it's his Birthday..say hello for me.

Mike

It is possible, I mocked it up with some cardboard once. It cannot be inset deep where traditional kickpanels are installed but you have to work with a very small custom panel and small speakers. Kickpanels are great places to put speakers when you can kick back and sit in the car by yourself. I have them in my other cars but they tend to get stepped on, require a bit of maintenance to keep clean and mounted properly, and can easily be obstructed.

Kickpanels were first utilized by Speakerworks for installations in order to equalize the distance between the speakers. The area where you have to work with on the NSX does not do that well nor does it allow for unobscured speaker placement. I forgot to mention the other thing you can contend with is the center console.

Horns I looked at too but that is just darn near impossible unless you want people to kick your horns out all the time. I don't think the A-pillar install will be too intrusive if you use that little tiny Morel midrange which measures in at just over 2" diameter and 1" mounting depth.

Malibu-

Unfortunately, I'm limited to my sponsor's brand so I guess I'll have to somehow fabricate something "super custom" to get the drivers in the kicks.

SNDSOULL-

Thats another route I can take, but I'm not too sure about refabiing the door panels.

Mike

Mojorator said:
I was just wondering if ANYONE ever tried a kickpanel installation on a 5/6 speed NSX??.

Will I loose the option of adding a custom 10" subwoofer if I do this?

Pics would be nice...

Mike

Given custom fabrication, anything is possible. As has been mentioned prior-- locating the 4 and the tweet in the kick panel area is generally considered ideal in mobile audio for many SQ applications, as it helps to better average the distance between the driver and the human ear resulting in better imaging. With enough attention to detail on placement, you can also solve many equalization and cross-over compromises normally caused by excessive cancellation in advance at this stage before ever even thinking about cross over construction or tuning.

The practical problem in the NSX is mostly one of form factor for the location, as if you aim high down there the hood latch/fuse box and lower dash tend to obstruct the drivers side, and too low to the floor you or your passenger may realize bad ergonomics. Further, if you really get in and start measuring paths with a yard stick/ruler you'll find it becomes definitely a compromise / balance act to pull it off right... but there are a few solutions.

I hope to have some pics to contribute as I keep reminding myself I am on the hook for two sets later this summer.

ATF Kuk said:
Dingaling as in LEON? MR. walking RTA?

That would be HIM..mr RTA himself and his sidekick ENG. :eek:

Mike

Just add them to your doors like Sound Soul pointed out, there are a few ideas on this thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35237

attachment.php

Awesome work and awesome thread..

Thanks
Mike

I participate on ECA - fabulous resource.
Leon (Ding) hooked me up with my SEAS & my Tru's. He's "the man" and really nice guy with it too. He's quite local to me.

ATF Kuk said:
Do you go on ECA as well? Eng and Leon are my boss. HAHAHAHA

When they are around here in SoCal (LEON) we go to IASCA shows which reminds me that I missed the show at ID yesterday :frown: .

Oh well, next month.

MIke

D'Ecosse said:
Leon (Ding) hooked me up with my SEAS & my Tru's. He's "the man" and really nice guy with it too. He's quite local to me.

I completely agree..LEON is the man...specially with them Lolitas! :biggrin:

MIke

D'Ecosse said:

yes, leon is nice guy. Eng is nice as well. both are great great guys.

mojorator, the ID show was eh. only me and another guy competing in rookie class. no other competitors. i took 1st and he took second. both of us are using Lotus Reference.

There is a show coming up on sunday at dubwars. triple point event. in fontana. u should join us. should be a good turnout.

ATF Kuk said:
There is a show coming up on sunday at dubwars. triple point event. in fontana. u should join us. should be a good turnout.

ATF-

I have no car to compete with..my Comp car last year (QX4), I retired and is back in stock form ready to give to CARMAX tomorrow for them to payoff.

Thats why I am here in NSX prime to look for my next project car..Please don't say anything to those guys (ENG, LEON) YET!

Mike

ATF Kuk said:
is this qx4mikey? i met u at the last ID show. i had the yellow ITR. i think i was talking to you about NSX, or RJ. cant rememeber.

Yessir..thats me. :biggrin:

Back