• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

450 hp getting boring

We'll, it's been about 4 months and 5 track events since my car dynoed out at 454 hp. No bottom end problems so far, plugs look good, not even a drop of oil in the catch-can. I beat it pretty hard and the only thing I've changed was the addition of a second oil cooler to keep my temps below 230F and beefed up my charge cooler at the weld joints (they were cracking). I'm getting bored . . . . So, it's onward and upwards as they say. My next goal, 500hp stock block (we'll maybe some valve springs). I figure I'll need to spin my little Eaton M90 up to about 17500rpm. I'll need to mod my blower with a bit more porting and addition of ceramic bearings and positive pressure lubrication (like a turbo!). But the biggie will be the addition of a multiport, boost sensitive water injection system. Those little EGR ports are the ideal place to add the injection nozzles to each intake port. Like a shark I can't stand still or I'll die, even if it means taking some risk. When I blow a head gasket, I'll know it's time to stop (we'll, maybe some ARP studs, a bit more clamping pressure . . . . . , naw, then it's not stock block).

Hah, sounds fun Mark!

Btw, where are you measuring your oil and temp from? And what water temps do you see while out on the track? 230 Deg F. oil temp is impressive, I was just hoping to keep mine under 280 F. :)

Also, what oil type and weight do you use?

-mike

mikeh said:
Hah, sounds fun Mark!

Btw, where are you measuring your oil and temp from? And what water temps do you see while out on the track? 230 Deg F. oil temp is impressive, I was just hoping to keep mine under 280 F. :)

Also, what oil type and weight do you use?

-mike

I took out the idiot light sensor above the oil filter in the stock oil cooler housing (not sure if this will work with the stock ecu). My new sensor threaded right in. I think that's the very last place to measure pressure/temp before the oil enters the block. One cooler knocked temps down to about 260F and the second down to 230-220F or so. Check out my website under "thermal control" to see them. I routed them in parallel to prevent pressure drop and make the heat exchangers more efficient. Works so well I need to turn the fans off when I'm driving in the canyons as the temp can drop to 160F. We'll see in the summer, however. I just run any good fully synthetic oil, 20 -50. I’m running the stock thermostat, so my water temp is about stock. I do have an oversized radiator.

PoohBEAR said:
Damnit!! if you are bored, i'll let you work on my car....I bet you can't get it to 506:D

Getting 506 hp is easy; keeping it is another story . . . . I'd say 70% of the time and money I've spent on my FI system is survival related. Take them all away and the engine would make about the same power . . . for a dyno run or two. That’s why it’s so darn hard to make a “good” FI kit cheaply. If you want to test my theory, buy a big ass turbo and bring it on over to the house. We’ll have that baby running in a weekend. It’ll go like stink, but for how long I won’t guarantee.

If you want to test my theory, buy a big ass turbo and bring it on over to the house. We’ll have that baby running in a weekend. It’ll go like stink, but for how long I won’t guarantee.[/QUOTE]

Mark, which weekend do you want me to bring it over. :biggrin:

Paul

yahhh ...stop teasing!!!! :biggrin:

HPV100 said:
If you want to test my theory, buy a big ass turbo and bring it on over to the house. We’ll have that baby running in a weekend. It’ll go like stink, but for how long I won’t guarantee.

Mark, which weekend do you want me to bring it over. :biggrin:

Paul[/QUOTE]

So can you now drive the car as hard as you want at 450HP? No more rules to follow? I bet it is amazing.

I bet.

Toke up:
crack-pipe.jpg

I'd seriously consider doing a turbo build for those interested once I get my new shop built. I'm currently fighting with the City of Bellflower over the size (my prints are for a 2000 sq/ft shop). They think I'm going to rat in some low income apartments or something. The old saying about fighting city hall is right as it’s been a back and forth battle for over a year. Keep bugging me; I got some bad ass ideas. Mark

You can use me as a project....haha

I've collected all the parts to make my assault on the 500hp mark. Should be on the dyno in a week or so. I must add however, that HP isn't the answer for fast lap times (although it helps). I was a Thunder Hill for the first time over the past holiday weekend and got smoked by many a lesser NSX. That track is more intimidating than big Willow! The biggest factor is the need for a heavy right foot.

Mark911 said:
HP isn't the answer for fast lap times (although it helps). I was a Thunder Hill for the first time over the past holiday weekend and got smoked by many a lesser NSX. That track is more intimidating than big Willow! The biggest factor is the need for a heavy right foot.

The biggest factor is for training and practice. Maybe you could barter some of your HP making skills for good training. That along with practice makes the most speed :smile: .

Mark911 said:
I'd seriously consider doing a turbo build for those interested once I get my new shop built. I'm currently fighting with the City of Bellflower over the size (my prints are for a 2000 sq/ft shop). They think I'm going to rat in some low income apartments or something. The old saying about fighting city hall is right as it’s been a back and forth battle for over a year. Keep bugging me; I got some bad ass ideas. Mark

Any updates on your shop?

Onsoku said:
Any updates on your shop?

I'm working with the Fire Department on some access and turn-around issues before they will approve. Next up, Water District approval. Then City Engineering, Traffic, . . . . . . .

Back