• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5 Things I hate about my NSX

So I put this together seeing the new car trend on YouTube being video's explaining what they hate about their cars. I checked for the NSX and there were none so I put one together. I guess I'll find out if this will be a regrettable experience after this crew takes a look at it... If there was one thing I would have done differently in hindsight it would be confirm the dates for the models and have more shots of the car rather than my mug (which certainly no one needs to see anymore of...:eek:).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bSrfP8HVGgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/bSrfP8HVGgM

Terrible cup holders started in 93, but you touched on many things that I had just been dealing with for so many years that I actually forgot about them. The windows and cup holders in particular. Before my color change, my windows was adjusted perfectly so I never thought about it. Now I am still waiting to get them adjusted right. But when they are out of alignment, they really do suck.

I would substitute the sound the car makes for how slow our steering ratio is, the max steering angle lock to lock is the worse I gave ever driven. 3 point turns are a joke because of it.

Interesting perspective on the steering. I never really notice the angle being low but the few times I've needed to do them I'm so concerned about hitting things I probably don't realize (you show in the city which suggests you get in that situation more than I would in the burbs). I forgot to mention on the steering the benefit of the later models electric assist. I recall how hard it was to park the earlier model in terms of arm strength without power steering. I really appreciate the electric assist under 15 mph.

In relation to steering angle: I have a 2008 Mazda 6. The worst steering angle of any car I have ever driven. I love the car except for that one issue. It's worse than the NSX I suspect.

Interesting list. I know a bunch of people complain about cupholders - but I haven't ever had a problem there. Probably because I use my car as a weekend fun car rather than a regular driver. What bugs me about the NSX is where Honda got cheap and cut corners. For an exotic that was to be a matter of pride for Japan the level of corners cut sort of bothers me. Compare the NSX to how Toyota attacked the LFA. I know, I know, HUGE price difference -but still.

1. The big aspect is leather. Other than the seats/steering wheel everything else is vinyl. A quality full leather dash is a big detraction at the price point. Get in to a Ferrari and you immediately notice the quality difference in the leather compared to your NSX. I don't just mean new Ferrari's either - a F355 has a much more posh leather. Granted, it shrinks on the dash and Ferrari can't make a piece of plastic to save their life - but when it is all properly condition - BAM!

2. Plastic parts. Too many things are plastic that should be higher end materials. I am sure it saved weight though, so the engineers would disagree with me.

The last statement sort of sums it up - this car was built by engineers and function trumps form for an engineer (and rightly so for their job). What didn't happen though is that a designer didn't come in afterwards and really spruce the car up and give it that pizzaz that the Italians/Germans do so well in their luxury/exotic lineups.

Slow steering I notice when I auto x because I need to turn the steering wheel so much compared to my peers when I am going through a slalom, box, etc. They barely have to turn the wheel when I have to shuffle my hands to clear the same corners.

Awesome video, I tried to leave a comment but it didn't let me. I hate how the Internet has nothing new or daily on our cars. I think I'll make a video when weather gets better myself lol. Love your wheels btw what are they?

No revelations here...not a "hate" list but things I wish Acura had done:

Added 2 more cylinders...would have improved the power as well as the sound

Shorter 2nd gear on the 5-speed...easier to make a slow 90-degree turn

I've never been a fan of the factory audio system

Having said this, I think these are GREAT cars and have never regretted buying mine!

Last edited:
Hate is a pretty strong word, but yea there are short comings on every car, no matter how much it costs. When it comes to the automotive industry nothing is perfect.
There were three ABS systems: 91-92, 93-99, and 2000-2015
3.2 litre engine, 6 speed was introduced in '97
All the issues you mentioned can be improved or "fixed" if desired.
I like you second video better.

Great Garage BTW.

Last edited:
I'm feeling pretty good so far... No flames!...

Dynamic: TSW Nurburgrings 18-19. Bought used from Prime member and refinished (same basic color but clear coat for easier cleaning). Center caps took quite some time to determine they would fit (in replacement of the ones that came with the Nurburgrings which were a polished metal look).

Jeffery: Agreed. Zero regrets. One of the best things I ever purchased (especially the second time around...). I would also like a V8. Even the 2017 aside from it's impressive numbers, doesn't sound super to me. I will be very excited to see what aftermarket pipes do for the sound (which are probably already in the works at SOS).

Warren: I agree on 'hate' but that was the term most of the other video's used. That said, I'm pretty close to 'hate' on the windows... Thanks for clarifying the years. I was lazy. Could have looked it up but didn't. The 2nd gear thing is honestly something I rarely remember being an issue when I owned my 92 but when I got my 2000 I was much happier. I also much prefer the single plate clutch. Not for engagement but for pedal height. I really (really) don't like high clutch pedal heights. Not sure if that was adjustment or just the difference between the Single and Double plate clutches.

BTW: I prefer the original Red more than new Formula Red also. When I first picked up my 2000 and put it next to my original 92, I was not happy. Fortunately with some help from Larry Kosilla of AMMO NYC doing some paint correction, I'm much happier now.

Thanks for the comments!

Na2 started with 97.:wink: in before Ken:biggrin:

No revelations here...not a "hate" list but things I wish Acura had done:

Added 2 more cylinders...would have improved the power as well as the sound.

Having said this, I think these are GREAT cars and have never regretted buying mine!

100% in agreement with this. i think if Honda had dropped a 4.0 V8 in the back of the original NSX, it would have been a very different car then and now.

that is the only thing i would really say. otherwise i don't care much about cup holders, i don't drink or eat anything in my car. and both of my cars must have had the windows aligned perfectly...

At this point I mostly hate that I can't buy replacement seals and trim pieces for reasonable prices. Oh, and don't get me started about tire choices on stock rim sizes.

I'm surprised you like the steering in the NSX. It would probably be on my hate list as I find it on the slow side.

Also does the Arc Titanium really have no drone?

I don't know about a V8 but a 3.5L V6 with more power would have been great. I think 350hp would have been perfect. I also am not a fan of 2nd gear. I have a 91 so no cup holders but I only drive mine on the weekends and rarely have drinks aside from bottle water in my NSX. Parts becoming harder to find is not making me feel warm and fuzzy.

I don't know about a V8 but a 3.5L V6 with more power would have been great. I think 350hp would have been perfect.

I can honestly say that I really think the power output of the NSX is great and I don't see a reason for it to be higher. I can transition between my Prelude and the NSX and really notice that the NSX has SO much more oomph than the Prelude and that is a lot of fun. For public streets though the NSX is more than fast enough for anything that I would want to do and not have blue lights flashing behind me. I took a Ferrari 458 around a race track and it was SUPER cool and blazingly fast but I also realized that it would be pretty dull off the track because you always have to hold it back. I am reminded of a post by w.mitty discussing ownership of a 458 & Ford GT:

"Consider the following: in the realm of exotic car ownership in the United States, there are very few instances where one can truly drive a car like the 458 or the GT the way that it was designed to be driven. It’s sorta like keeping a cheetah in a Manhattan High Rise; a great conversation piece, but fun for neither the cheetah nor its owner."

That was also a rationale for why the NSX is so much fun. You CAN push it and run the revs up without really hitting insane speeds. With more power that aspect would be lost and I for one would find that a bit sad.

Now - I *do* think they should have offered a supercharged version as a factory option because not everyone is looking for what I am looking for and I think that was a key marketing failure by Honda.

I can honestly say that I really think the power output of the NSX is great and I don't see a reason for it to be higher. I can transition between my Prelude and the NSX and really notice that the NSX has SO much more oomph than the Prelude and that is a lot of fun. For public streets though the NSX is more than fast enough for anything that I would want to do and not have blue lights flashing behind me. I took a Ferrari 458 around a race track and it was SUPER cool and blazingly fast but I also realized that it would be pretty dull off the track because you always have to hold it back. I am reminded of a post by w.mitty discussing ownership of a 458 & Ford GT:

"Consider the following: in the realm of exotic car ownership in the United States, there are very few instances where one can truly drive a car like the 458 or the GT the way that it was designed to be driven. It’s sorta like keeping a cheetah in a Manhattan High Rise; a great conversation piece, but fun for neither the cheetah nor its owner."

That was also a rationale for why the NSX is so much fun. You CAN push it and run the revs up without really hitting insane speeds. With more power that aspect would be lost and I for one would find that a bit sad.

Now - I *do* think they should have offered a supercharged version as a factory option because not everyone is looking for what I am looking for and I think that was a key marketing failure by Honda.

Well by that logic a Chevy Aveo should have enough power for you.

Last edited:
Haven't driven one, but something tells me it wouldn't cut the mustard. Something also tells me you aren't quite following my logic.

Consider this discussion between a 270HP car and a 430HP car:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/1991-acura-nsx-vs-2012-audi-r8.html

It is a good demonstration on how raw numbers and how power is applied can make a difference in the user experience.

Don't worry you are not missing much with the Aveo it is fun to turn the A/C on in the car and it feels like someone just tapped the brakes.

Well by that logic a Chevy Aveo should have enough power for you.

That would be like substituting a hamster as a pet in place of the Cheetah, while [MENTION=26078]blue_myriddn[/MENTION] or [MENTION=4042]DeHaldaswerth[/MENTION] (W. Mitty) are suggesting just get a cool dog or cat. :)

I know it's been said a lot of times, but the CTSC made my car what it should have been all along. I wasn't unhappy before I got it, but I don't think I could go back now.

When I drove my stock '92 to Columbus for NSXPO 2014 I had only owned the car for a few months, having never owned a NSX before. I excitedly told a wise old timer how I wanted to go forced induction on the car and swap out the stereo unit. After quietly listening to me talk like a child on Santa's lap, he paused and replied "Why don't you just leave it alone?" He got me thinking, and I have, except for the Hugabuga window fix. I'm happy with the car.
I will admit that a friend let me drive his CTSC car once and I can understand heySkippy's remarks, but nevertheless I've shelved any plans for significant modifications.

I was prepared to not like the video based on the title alone, but I kinda gotta admit it brought up some fairly reasonable points. Objectively, well done.

Back