• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5000 rpm weirdness

I've been wondering about what's going on in the 5k rpm range, too. If you look at the plots from the first few kits on scienceofspeed.com and daliracing.com, you'll notice that rather than just being sloppy, they actually have big dips in the torque curve. I'm actually wondering if it's the butterfly valves in the intake manifold. Might be interesting to do a couple runs with them locked closed, and a couple runs with them locked open.

-Mike

awwww, crap, this was supposed to go in some other thread.... Not sure how I managed to post a new topic.

Anyway, I'm referring to the "noise" around 5000 rpm in Chris Willson's SC dyno run, and the big dips in the other posted dyno plots for the beta Basch Boost kits.

-Mike

VTEC doesn't kick in until 5800-6000. Which means it either isn't the VTEC, or it's the LACK of VTEC (meaning it'd be worthwhile to make some circuitry to kick the VTEC in earlier).

-Mike

Originally posted by grippgoat:
VTEC doesn't kick in until 5800-6000. Which means it either isn't the VTEC, or it's the LACK of VTEC (meaning it'd be worthwhile to make some circuitry to kick the VTEC in earlier).

I thought we were talking about VVIS not VTEC.

DanO

Well, I was talking about the VVIS, but then Gerry mentioned that he was told it was the "V-TECH", which I was saying couldn't be the cause... Unless it's because the low-speed lobes are losing power earlier than they do with a stock motor, and that the power starts to come back when VTEC kicks in.

Frankly, I'm really surprised more research hasn't been done (or at least posted online) experimenting with different VVIS and VTECH engagement points on blown NSX motors.

-Mike

Have someone disable EGR to keep exhaust gas from getting back into the combustion chamber...perhaps the EG is reaching a high point around 5000rpm...

Jesus, dude, what's your problem? One person writes V-TECH instead of VTEC, and suddenly no one knows what they're talking about? You'd be a happier person in general if you did something other than look things to give people shit about. You'd look less dumb, too.

-Mike

That is one of the dumbest rants I've seen in a long time. And that's coming from someone who hates misused words and phrases like "I could care less" when what they really mean in "I couldn't care less". But only a complete jackass would go on to that extent and with such an insulting a tone over something so utterly trivial.

Oh I'm sorry, I hope I haven't offended anyone.

This is what the FAQ Says:

[BC] A note about the NSX variable induction butterfly valves: You can make it run at max volume all the time by disconnecting the hose to the solenoid and capping it, however I didn't notice any difference in performance when I did this (supposedly I should get less low end torque). Makes you wonder if the variable induction is of any real use or if they included it as a techno-gimmick.

However, this sounds like he did this by running it only with the VVIS always open, I wonder if the results would be different if he had tried a run with the plenum locked shut? I wouldn't expect running low RPMs with the plenum open would hurt performance, I think it would just decrease engine efficiency. However, running in the top end with the VVIS closed might make a noticeable difference.

NSXPERT

Back