• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5zigen FN-01R question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
64
Location
San Francisco
I'm looking to buy a 16/17 set of LIGHT WEIGHT wheels.

So far I'm thinking about 5zigen FN-01R set-up since they look decent and fairly light weight and good price.

Front: 16x7 +42 offset....15lbs @ $170.00 each
Rear: 17x8 or 17x9 +43 offset....17.5lbs @ $195.00 each

machevo_1841_5263907


Will they fit the Stock 92 NSX with no mods?

I'm open minded so if there are other set, please suggest. If anyone have a used set of light weight wheels, I'm ready to buy.
 
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 26, 2000
Messages
2,975
Location
671
I'm not sure the 16" would fit on the fronts, they may hit the calipers. I have a 17/17 setup on mine and it works great. I've been tempted to get the 18" rear but I may get new wheels all together. If you're interested let me know.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
64
Location
San Francisco
I'm interested as long as it's a good price :biggrin:

Did you use spacers? Do u know the offsets? What tire size did you use.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
344
Location
Belgium
I have a 17 - 18 set-up no problems. One thing to keep in mind, they are cheap, so expect some manufacturing 'things' Mine for example need a lot of lead to get them balanced. I even spinned them without tires just to see how they were... they are really unbalanced comparing with more expensive wheels.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
261
Location
Oregon
I also mounted a set of those wheels on my 93, 17 front and rear , I think it was an 8 and 9 inch respectively. The front barely clears the caliper, the car is lowered about 1 inch with Eibachs. The offsets are 43MM and bring the wheel/tire out to (but not beyond) the fenders. No rubbing. The wheels were slightly lighter than the 16/17 OEM's. I put 2002 OEM size tires on. Wheels look good, IMHO, and they seem fairly durable (hit one big-ass pothole at night and half expected a damaged wheel, but it is fine. Wheels seem to be a good value.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
64
Location
San Francisco
What size tires are 2002 oem 17/17? I'm thinking about putting 225/40/17 in the front and 245/45/17 in the rear
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
261
Location
Oregon
I used a 215/40 in front and a 245/40 in back, not sure if a 225/40 will clear if the car is lowered. TCS is unaffected.
 

Attachments

  • nsx2.jpg
    nsx2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 392
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
892
Location
Santa Monica, Long Beach
Bart Geerts said:
Does this look like an RSX??

Bert,

From where you are at, it may not be common to see that wheels on RSXs, Civics, etc.. But here in the states, it is on every FWD car I can think of.

I just figured if you have a NSX, the best thing you can do is invest in wheels that are specifically designed for it.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
344
Location
Belgium
Vizal said:
Bert,

From where you are at, it may not be common to see that wheels on RSXs, Civics, etc.. But here in the states, it is on every FWD car I can think of.

I just figured if you have a NSX, the best thing you can do is invest in wheels that are specifically designed for it.

You mean HONDA made? No other company is going to design wheels especially for the NSX. there aren't enough NSX-es on the street for that.

I bought the wheels as a set from an NSX-only shop. So I didn't have to think about sizes, offsets.... all was guaranteed to fit and work. I'm not 100% fan of these wheels, see my replies above!
And indeed, in Belgium I'm the only NSX with these wheels 90% of the NSX-es here have OZ-racing rims. (If I remember right...) And the make 5zigen is not known here.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
945
I have these wheels too and i have to say i am not very pleased with them. I have had them balanced twice, once from when i ordered them and again after i got them, and they still wobble from like 50-60 mph and it is extremely annoying. Im not sure what i should do i really like the way they look but the wobbling is extremely annoying.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
892
Location
Santa Monica, Long Beach
vtecNSX1 said:
I have these wheels too and i have to say i am not very pleased with them. I have had them balanced twice, once from when i ordered them and again after i got them, and they still wobble from like 50-60 mph and it is extremely annoying. Im not sure what i should do i really like the way they look but the wobbling is extremely annoying.

Get the Volk TE37, have them on right now. Very Nice! :biggrin:
9979te37.jpg
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 26, 2000
Messages
2,975
Location
671
I see more TE37's on the road than I do the 5Zigen. You can find the TE37 on just about any car, especially civics, rsx, integra, 240, 300, 350Z, and the list goes on. Even bmw and mercedes use them.

In regards to the wobbles some of you are experiencing, this is news to me. My wheels balanced fine without any issues (knock on wood).
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
892
Location
Santa Monica, Long Beach
Veleno said:
I see more TE37's on the road than I do the 5Zigen. You can find the TE37 on just about any car, especially civics, rsx, integra, 240, 300, 350Z, and the list goes on. Even bmw and mercedes use them.

True, but most want the VOLK te37 but will settle for the 5zigen FN-01R because simply of the price.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
945
To be honest I prefer the look of my fn01r-c better than the te37 but the wobbling just bugs me so much. It took me awhile to save up to get these wheels so I cant afford to buy another set anytime soon and those volks arent cheap.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
1,249
Location
Corona, CA
vtecNSX1 said:
To be honest I prefer the look of my fn01r-c better than the te37 but the wobbling just bugs me so much. It took me awhile to save up to get these wheels so I cant afford to buy another set anytime soon and those volks arent cheap.

Do you know 5Zigen is in City of Industry???
You should take it to them and have them find the problem for you. May be it is the tires instead of the wheels.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Aug 31, 2003
Messages
945
awsomr1 said:
Do you know 5Zigen is in City of Industry???
You should take it to them and have them find the problem for you. May be it is the tires instead of the wheels.
That is a good idea im going to give them a call thanks.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
261
Location
Oregon
I just wanted to add that the 5-zigen wheels on my car balanced out with very little weight. I had no interest in impressing anybody with an over priced set of wheels.......it just comes down to personal preferences.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
64
Location
San Francisco
Guys,

I'm just looking for some light weight wheels. I have 18" on right now and they are pretty heavy.
 
Top