• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

6spd conversion

I was getting ready to do the 6speed conversion this winter along with the ctch 4:55 gears and was wanting to get some feedback from anybody who has done or driven this combo. From what I understood it is the ultimate combo overall, however, after speaking with Mark at Dali I'm not so sure. He mentioned he had done the 6 speed but hated it on the track becouse it was much harder to find the gears for him? Is the shift feel that bad? This somewhat contradicts Michael Andredi's comments which were to the affect that the 5 speed was great and they made the 6 speed even smoother and closer together, getting the coveted "click, click rating" (i think that's what he said). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jon69,
I did the six speed and 4.55 conversion two months ago. While I haven't driven the car at a track event yet, (Road Atlanta in one week)I have put it to good use on the street. Finding the right gear is no problem. The main challenge is "learning" what the new gears ranges are. For example, a C5 jumped out on me a couple of weeks ago on the interstate because I didn't downshift to the proper gear. I was doing 65 or 70 and dropped it into 4th...this brought me down to 4,700rpms or something like that. I should have grabbed 3rd! Well, now I know. So yesterday when I came across a red widebody Carrera on the interstate I knew what gear to grab! I pulled out on him and he never could make any of it up...all the way to 155 before I lifted due to traffic that was ahead. He pulled along side and gave me the thumbs up...I think he was a little surprised. Anyway, my experience and my impressions are very positive. Everyday driving is so much more fun now...I can zip up into VTEC so quickly and hear that roar anytime I want...it's great.

According to the latest NSXDriver, it looks like a 5spd with stock US gears and 4.55 R&P is very close in performance to the 6speed with 4.55 R&P all the way up to 150mph.

Anyone care to comment on this? If so, it's certainly much cheaper than a 6speed.

I was doing 65 or 70 and dropped it into 4th...this brought me down to 4,700rpms or something like that. I should have grabbed 3rd

In that situation, the stock '91-96 5-speed and R&P will be great - you can drop down to second, right in the power band.

According to the latest NSXDriver, it looks like a 5spd with stock US gears and 4.55 R&P is very close in performance to the 6speed with 4.55 R&P all the way up to 150mph.
Anyone care to comment on this?

Go to the section called "What are the numbers?" in http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/gears.htm and you'll see that all of the different combinations of gearsets are actually pretty close in performance overall. One set will be better say at accelerating 40 to 60 while another set will be better at 60 to 80. For example, you refer to the stock 5-speed with 4.55 R&P. The 0 to 140 acceleration with that set is almost identical to the 0 to 140 acceleration with the stock 5-speed and the stock R&P.

Originally posted by JChoice:

Anyone care to comment on this? If so, it's certainly much cheaper than a 6speed.

JChoice,
One of the reasons I opted for the additional expense of the 6 speed was to get THE sixth gear. I wanted to have the quick acceleration in the early gears without sacrificing a reasonable cruising gear for the highway. At a 90 mph cruise I was at 4,000rpm in 5th with the stock 5 speed. Now I tach 4,150...a very modest increase and hardly noticable. I ended up selling my 5 speed and the net cost to me for the new 6 speed box was $2,000. The Comptech swap kit was about another $525. The bottom line is, these cars love quicker gearing than is provided with the original configuration. Step it up and have some fun!

Back