• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91-01 NSX Type R Hood Thread; End All Threads

I've been reading up on the NSX R Vented hoods for the NSX 91-01 Front end, not 02+.

I personally am a big fan of both ViS and Seibon products,however, just like with any car, the brands quality can vary some on differing vehicles. I'd like to assemble a thread to end all threads if you will, containing the most informative and hopefully most conclusive verdict of the best fitting, best quality for the money hood for the 91-01 front end.

Also I'd like to note from those of you with FIRST hand experience, which hoods are a direct-compatible fit for the OEM or Downforce Radiator Duct Shroud, that attaches under the hood, as some have commented about other hoods not being compatible.

So the contenders we have, in no particular order:

1. Vis Racing - Readily available
2. Seibon - Readily available
3. Carbon Creations / Duraflex - ? Unknown availability
4. Downforce - ? Last I heard they had fit issues, remolding.

I believe that procar might also offer a OE replica of the hood, but that may not prove readily available, plus it's international...

and lastly, Evof575gtc has also had some hoods for sale I've seen, unknown on their availability, fitment, and some forum issues he has had in the past so those might also be gone for good.

Discuss...

Last edited:
The Procar one exists but very few examples have been produced (last I heard five were known to exist). Super pricey but obviously up to their usual standard of quality. I know of one for sale, PM me if interested.

My Vis Racing NSX-R replica hood fits as good as OEM on my 91 NSX. A professional body shop painted and installed it. It required 30 seconds of light sanding on one corner near the windshield to make it as close to perfect as possible, and the installer did a great job of fitting the windshield washer nozzles so that they look OEM as well. I have no idea about the duct shroud, but I've got LoveFab chassis bars installed so that wouldn't be an option that I'd be able to explore with this application.

I bought a DF NA1 hood, shroud, side vents, rear wing, underbelly pan (s), rear window garnish and sill plates from DF.
I promptly identified a poor hood fitment to DF and 3 years later I received a replacement hood that was damaged in manufacturing but shipped anyway and adding insult to injury still had the same passenger's side fitment issue.
To put the time frame into perspective I taught my then 15 y/o how to drive a manual on the car with the first hood installed and when I received the replacement he had already finished his freshman year of college.
YMMV...

The Procar one exists but very few examples have been produced (last I heard five were known to exist). Super pricey but obviously up to their usual standard of quality. I know of one for sale, PM me if interested.

Not sure why I always find wrong informations here.
5 hoods does exist?

Well, actually Procar hoods with production no 86 + 87 are produced and ready for shipment.
no 87 is an NA1RR Hood, which will be shipped to UK.

You cant imagine how much work we spent to make that real.

The real JDM NA2RR hood from 2003
photo-11474-eac87795.jpg

2 year later, after we have sold over 20 units of the NA2R hoods, we started with an OEM NA1 aluminum hood and NSX-R airduct section
photo-11475-d0a30260.jpg

photo-11476-bddafdf8.jpg

photo-11477-24091f35.jpg

Later we integrated the NSX-R JDM hood screen, which is aluminium. In the meanwhile we do produce our own version in CF.
photo-11438-7282915e.jpg

This are our actual products. NA1RR and NA2RR hoods in latest specs

photo-11545-ebb64413.jpg

photo-11546-b843be5a.jpg

photo-11537-42865e61.jpg

photo-11538-d11bb141.jpg

photo-11539-5f82b85f.jpg

photo-11540-74beecf2.jpg

photo-11541-1d1278c1.jpg

photo-11543-117975a3.jpg

photo-11544-ac2a20fc.jpg

This picture is from 2006, our 1th production unit of the NA1R cf hood (spec1)
Looks like even that 'old' hood fitted very well, even better as eth OEM hood with smaller gaps to the fenders.

photo-11551-bc5ec113.jpg

One of our hoods installed at an UK customer car.

photo-11552-b0914bbe.jpg

Some of our hoods (NA2R) installed at an australian customer with paint and UK car.......and so on......

photo-11553-3bfee42c.jpg

photo-11554-fc669b08.jpg

Last edited:
the most informative and hopefully most conclusive verdict of the best fitting, best quality for the money hood for the 91-01 front end.
The stock hood.

The stock hood is also the least expensive (since it comes free with the car) as well as the best looking IMHO.

Procar hoods are pure sex IMO. The things I would do for one!!:rolleyes: On another note, there was a Taitec deep vent hood in classifieds awhile back for 1500.00. More than your cheaper aftermarket but still likely worth it. I've almost bought it on several occasions but my VIS does fit quite well after some dremeling the hinges and minor adusting.

I have a VIS hood and couldn't be happier. Fitment is a 9+/10. It was ~ $500 and much better fitment than the 3 DF hoods I have seen at 3x the price.

2013-12-26 10.11.49.jpg2013-12-26 10.12.02.jpg

Why do you refer to your hoods as NA1 and NA2? Is it merely an incorrect shorthand for popup versus fixed headlights?
It's definitely incorrect to do so. OP NSX1145 refers to them correctly as "NSX 91-01 Front end, not 02+". Popup vs fixed headlights is also a correct shorthand, since those features were correlated with those model years.

The only NSX-R hoods I've seen that fit properly are the ones by Procar.

I have a VIS hood and couldn't be happier. Fitment is a 9+/10. It was ~ $500 and much better fitment than the 3 DF hoods I have seen at 3x the price.

View attachment 108615View attachment 108616

As good as that looks, the vent on the VIS and Seibon hoods is shorter than the original NSX-R hoods, therefore, not compatible with the NSX-R radiator duct. Is there a company that makes a duct that is compatible with the VIS or Seibon hood?

As good as that looks, the vent on the VIS and Seibon hoods is shorter than the original NSX-R hoods, therefore, not compatible with the NSX-R radiator duct. Is there a company that makes a duct that is compatible with the VIS or Seibon hood?

Yep, the VIS & Seibon vents are designed to retain storage of the spare...... The Procar and JDM version obviously don't. I used a VIS for a couple of years (popup) and the fit was good but not perfect. I now have the Procar on my 02+ conversion which I am happy with...and the JDM style hood duct from Downforce..

Mine works quite well with the duct. Yes I like the deeper vent but nonetheless the shorter vent works well and doesn't look out of place.

I have the Vis hood, the fitting was pretty good but after a few track days one of the front corners lifted just a bit so I put some mini latches on it to keep it down flush, so while not perfect it is a pretty good fit for the money. It fits nicely everywhere else.
I prefer the OEM hood but I did the hood, wing and complete underbody with radiator ducting for track aero, not for looks, the hood works fine with the radiator duct it is just not as deep for reasons outlined above.
If I had the spare cash I would buy the Procar one it is hands down the best quality, I have some of Detlef's work on the car now and you just cannot fault the workmanship.

It's definitely incorrect to do so. OP NSX1145 refers to them correctly as "NSX 91-01 Front end, not 02+". Popup vs fixed headlights is also a correct shorthand, since those features were correlated with those model years

Thats the correct type description from Honda, I know, but I've never like that.
If I do place parts order from Honda, I do respect that.

For the Procar hoods I only have 2 numbers and people who knows my stuff, knows that or could ask.

NA1RR for NSX 91-01 hoods
NA2RR for NSX 02+ hoods

The only NSX-R hoods I've seen that fit properly are the ones by Procar.
Over the years, I had the most other hood brands here into my shop from other customers who desided to replace them with my stuff.

So I know the advantages and disadvantages of each hood, the main advantage of the others is the price.
If quality and fitment doesnt play a main rule or arent very important, I can understand that.

For the small rest of NSX owners, I'm here since over 12 years now and sale my high end parts.

BTW:
I do need over 40 hours for 1 single hood, plus material + 12h stove + clear coat + 5 hours for polishing and fitment test.

Last edited:
I got a downforce NA1 gen 2 hood through SOS. they confirmed it was the second attempt. Drivers side fitment not very good- it sticks up a bit. Also, the finish was pretty bad- ditto on the NSX--R wing i got from them. Whoever does the cleanup at the factory sanded through the outer layer in places. The body shop i used for paint had to do a lot of work, including coating with gel coat prior to paint to get it to look good. Overall, i am happy but it bugs me to see one side sticking up a bit.

well.....what do you think Soichiro Honda would do?

Dont wanna be arrogant but do you think he would allow to install a VIS hood on a Honda (Acura) NSX?

IMO a high end car like the Honda NSX (still one of the best driving machines worldwide) requires only the best parts with no compromisses.

Thats the way I always try to go......with all my passion.

Think he would have fun to see my parts and feel the upgrade in performance through my systematic weight reduction system.

Honda Racing Europe did that with their NSX-R race cars too some years ago, still my best reference.

I got a downforce NA1 gen 2 hood ... Drivers side fitment not very good- it sticks up a bit... Overall, i am happy but it bugs me to see one side sticking up a bit.

I feel the same way about the 2 hoods that they sent me but the side that sticks up on both of mine (made 3 years apart probably gen 1 and gen 2) is the passengers side and in particular right above the wheel arch. So you see the arc of the wheel well, then the arch of the fender above it, then the arch of the hood which takes a completely different arch from the fender arch- which it should follow. In fairness the rest of the products that I received from DF were top-notch but the hood situation wasn't and they walked away from it.

Procar, please remind that this is not your sales thread...:rolleyes: NSX1145 wants opinions from people who fitted the different options. That's what this thread is all about.

I have a VIS, very happy with the hood. Based on what I had read it's supposed to fit well and mine does. Only issue the clear coat is looking pretty bad in some spots and has only been on the car a little over a year. The car is parked in a garage, so it doesn't see much sun. I'll have to have it painted soon.

Back