• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 replacement tires

db

I recently purchased a stock 91 NSX and will need to replace the tires soon. It has the stock 15/16 rims. I use the car as an occasional driver and do not envision driving on a track. I am looking for a reasonable wearing tire that is very safe for the occasional 120+mph runs. Price is a concern as well. Any advice is appreciated, although I am not interested in changing the rims. I am considering the Kumho Supra 712 tires or Toyo Proxes. Comments? Thanks!

Hey Chopsjazz, thanks for the no help! Did you think that I hadn't already looked in the FAQ? Most of the info there relates to the larger diameter 94+ and aftermarket applications and the Kumhos are not discussed.

db - You might want to consider Dunlop SP8000 also judging by your description of what you are looking for in a tire. They are very inexpensive.

Did you think that I hadn't already looked in the FAQ?

Well, you didn't say that you had, either...

Most of the info there relates to the larger diameter 94+ and aftermarket applications and the Kumhos are not discussed.

But some of it relates to the OEM wheels from the earlier cars, and the Toyo Proxes are discussed. Along with other models.

There are some other things you can do to extend the life of the tires, as noted in the "Tire Tech" section.

Well db, I wasn't trying to razz you, but honestly, you'll get a different opinion from each driver. Personally, I love the OEM Yok's. I track the car with them in wet and dry and I haven't found them to be too short lived either. I get about 14K miles out of a set of rears, including 3 (yes, three) track sessions.
Maybe it's just me, but I love my Yok's!
(better answer this time?)

Thanks everyone for you inputs. I have heard many good things about the Yokohama's and believe that Honda teamed with them in the tire design to fit the car. But the price! I have not heard any negative comments about the Kumhos yet and they sell for $400 to $500 for a set. I guess I'll be the guinea pig and post mind findings. Thanks again.
db

I have heard many good things about the Yokohama's and believe that Honda teamed with them in the tire design to fit the car. But the price!

I guess everything's relative. You can get the Yokohama A022H in your sizes for $159 F, $200 R at the Tire Rack. OEM tires for the Corvette and Porsche 911 Turbo can run $300 or more.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 25 September 2000).]

Back