• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 NSX with 6spd Trans upgrade

:confused: Hi everyone, I heard about a 92 NSX for sale, but it had an upgraded tranny to a 6 spd. what would be the advantages (if any) to do this?

The six-speed reduces the gaps between the gears, which makes your acceleration slightly better overall by keeping your gearing as short as possible throughout the speed range of the NSX. It avoids the wide gearing gap between first and second of the stock USM five-speed and each of the gaps between gears is closer than with the JDM "short gears" for the five speed.

Here are the calculated quarter mile acceleration times for a stock '92 with different transmission gears (but the stock "ring and pinion" gear):

US market '92 - 13.67 seconds
Japanese market '92 - 13.56 seconds
US market '92 with six-speed - 13.56 seconds

P.S. I see in your sig that you own a '97 "NXT". What's an "NXT"? I thought that's the name of a car wax. ;)

CarGuy said:
:confused: Hi everyone, I heard about a 92 NSX for sale, but it had an upgraded tranny to a 6 spd. what would be the advantages (if any) to do this?
Welcome! First of all, welcome. I thought you were the real car guy !!!

You might want to consider changing your handle to avoid confusion.

As to your question, yes, there are lots of advantages to a 6 speed tranny on an earlier NSX.

I have a 6 speed tranny on my 91, and I can tell you it is very sweet. I drove the 5 speed and it doesn't feel as "responsive" as the 6 speed. The 6 speed has better gearing for most conditions, and is just more fun to drive because it feels so flexible. A 6 speed transmission costs $8000+ to upgrade to, so it's a very pricey upgrade, but worthwhile, if you have the money.

Also, you won't have the "snap-ring" issue that the earlier NSX's may have.

Thanks for your input on both counts. The trans. upgrade does sound pricey! I will also change my handle. I didn't bother to check first before starting up.
Thanks

I too did the 6 speed upgrade myself to my 93.

Nice upgrade.

Advantages are the same as having the 6 speed in the newer NSX's, and frankly I would think a 6spd 92 would be worth thousands more than a 5 spd 92.

All and all, if you shop, bargan and trade, (and sell your old 5 speed if it's not worn out) it's not that expensive.

Well worth it for many reasons, but like all subjects on Prime, open to opinion.

david

JetLagSD said:
Advantages are the same as having the 6 speed in the newer NSX's
...but without the bigger engine with its 20 more horses, or the other improvements introduced at the same time (e.g. bigger brakes).

JetLagSD said:
I would think a 6spd 92 would be worth thousands more than a 5 spd 92.
As an observer of market prices for used NSXs, I wouldn't. While I consider the six-speed slightly preferable to the five-speed, I wouldn't expect the market value of a car with one to be significantly higher (less than $1K difference, which means it's basically just "noise" regarding its effect on price).

I am not sure how great a 92 with a 6-speed would be. I know the 6-speed works amazing with the 3.2L engine. The shifts are perfect for the powerband and TQ. Since the 3.0L engine is down a good 20HP or more throughout the rev band, I am not sure how great it would be. I am sure it is better than the stock 5-speed, but it won't make the car perfect like a 97+, IMO.

Back