• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

93's 4AT Tranny >> 6MT Tranny

Hi guys,

I'm wondering is there anyone here in prime, ever attempt to convert your 4AT to 6MT tranny? If you do, from where did you get the 6MT assembly from? And most importantly, what are the possible parts which are required for the conversion?

Thank you very much.

It is doable, but very expensive unless you can do alot of work yourself. The only way to do it economically (vs selling car and buying an mt) is to find a donor car in a salvage yard, and make a good deal for all the parts.
You will need, pedal assembly, hydraulic system, shifter bucket and cables, ecu, and ecu / engine harness as well as the stuff on the tranny like slave cylinder/damper/hose(s) and left mount. The cars body and chassis is already drilled and embedded for these parts.

I,d call SoS for the tranny, unless it comes with the donor car of course.

This procedure is not reccomended for the faint of heart or budget.

MB

NSXTech said:
It is doable, but very expensive unless you can do alot of work yourself. The only way to do it economically (vs selling car and buying an mt) is to find a donor car in a salvage yard, and make a good deal for all the parts.
You will need, pedal assembly, hydraulic system, shifter bucket and cables, ecu, and ecu / engine harness as well as the stuff on the tranny like slave cylinder/damper/hose(s) and left mount. The cars body and chassis is already drilled and embedded for these parts.

I,d call SoS for the tranny, unless it comes with the donor car of course.

This procedure is not reccomended for the faint of heart or budget.

MB

Hi NSXTech,

Thanks a lot for willing to help me. Well, I really wish I could get it cheaply, especially get one from the junkyard... But unfortunately, in my country-Brunei, there are only 20 NSX of us available, and all of them are still on the road. (Including mine of course :biggrin: ) So, for me, I have to outsource it from elsewhere, thus, the $$ wise, more or less I do make preparation that the cost sure will be very high...

So, however is it, if I could get one with a reasonable price, I don't mind and will go for it.

C30A4 said:
Hi NSXTech,

Thanks a lot for willing to help me. Well, I really wish I could get it cheaply, especially get one from the junkyard... But unfortunately, in my country-Brunei, there are only 20 NSX of us available, and all of them are still on the road. (Including mine of course :biggrin: ) So, for me, I have to outsource it from elsewhere, thus, the $$ wise, more or less I do make preparation that the cost sure will be very high...

So, however is it, if I could get one with a reasonable price, I don't mind and will go for it.

I guess if money is an issue, this must not be the Sultan lurking on NSX Prime.

slashmatt said:
I guess if money is an issue, this must not be the Sultan lurking on NSX Prime.

LOL. If I'am His Royal Highness, I would prefer to buy HSC, instead. Why wasting money on 6MT tranny upgrading for 12 years old car?

4AT -> 6 MT is a fairly common upgrade in Japan nowdays.

Since you are in Brunei, you could probably have your car shipped to Japan to have the work performed there and then shipped back again at a more reasonable cost than buying and importing the parts and then finding someone competent enough to do the work in Brunei...

Then again labour rates are significantly cheaper in Brunei than Japan so it may not work out cheaper at all??? :confused: But it is another idea of course... Depends how badly you want that MT.

AU_NSX said:
4AT -> Then again labour rates are significantly cheaper in Brunei than Japan so it may not work out cheaper at all??? :confused: But it is another idea of course... Depends how badly you want that MT.

Yupe, you are right. The labour charge here is so much cheaper than in Japan. Plus, counting in the cost of getting it shipped to Japan and back, it will cost another heaps. Also, i know one of the workshop here is capable in doing this job... So, I think it might not be worth to spend the extra $ to get everything done... Anyway, thanks for your input, mate! It inspired me somehow, but too bad is that, I don't think it work... :frown:

1TITENSX said:
Info has been posted here before. You might want to PM NA1 #2853 (Ray) since he has done this before.

I really appreciate you for getting that link for me. It was very helpful and informative. However... I think I'm convinced to give up the thinking of converting my auto tranny to 6MT tranny, now... It just cost too much and I don't think it is really that necessary for me (Since, we have no track here in Brunei. I have just realised that performance is not really that important, but drivability is some what becomes important. Especially, for daily driving pleasure and left leg friendly when getting caught in the traffic jam :biggrin: ).

But However, I have another new idea now. I'm thinking to "upgrade", "improve" & "streghthen" my 4AT tranny. Well, upgrading the torque convertor is a must. But how about upgrading the final drive gear of the 4AT? I wonder is it the same as manual tranny's Final Drive Gear and do they fit in each and another? Is there any performance gear set available for 4AT tranny?

I know my question might sounds stupid, absurd and crazy. But I really wish there are options for 4AT tranny, and I'am certainly sure that this will be a good news for all 4AT NSX owner.

Looking forward to read from you guys, soon.

Cheers,
C30A4

The r&p cannot be upgraded, because while an m/t ring gear will fit on the diff hsng of an a/t, the pinion gear is part of the countershaft which has to be a/t or m/t To have a custome countershaft desighned and cut, would probabally come close to the value of the car.

MB

One thing that stopped me from doing it was that you will spend a lot of $ with NO HP increase. For the $ that it takes to convert a 4AT to a 5/6 MT, you would be better off adding a 6lb CTSC vice doing a conversion. It will be cheaper than the conversion and faster than any stock 5/6 MT :tongue:

If $ is not an issue, then it really doesn't matter....

1TITENSX said:
One thing that stopped me from doing it was that you will spend a lot of $ with NO HP increase. For the $ that it takes to convert a 4AT to a 5/6 MT, you would be better off adding a 6lb CTSC vice doing a conversion. It will be cheaper than the conversion and faster than any stock 5/6 MT :tongue:

If $ is not an issue, then it really doesn't matter....

Yes, What you have wrote is correct. The reason why I ever think of doing the conversion, because I was worrying that my current 4AT tranny could not be able to coupe up or withstand the tremendous increased power from stage 3 N/A Tuning. I heard some said that the reason why 4AT tranny NSX is detuned and having low RPM rev limit, is because the tranny itself are not capable to withstand the power of original NSX engine (non detuned engine like - manual tranny engine). Also, for the sake of increasing the smoothness of driving and longevity of the Auto tranny, then only the engineers have decided to detune the engine of auto tranny NSX. So, that is why there is such a differences in performance between auto tranny and manual tranny NSX.

If longevity of the tranny is really the matter of why they detune the auto tranny engine, then, is it really ok if we modify the auto tranny engine to be more powerful in HP and torque by force induction, or NA tuning with increased displacement capacities, without causing too much stress & harm toward the auto tranny itself? Anyone here has any experiences with FI or NA tuned onto 4AT NSX? So far, is there any problem occur to the auto tranny, after you have done the engine modification?

Cheers,

C30A4

Back