• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

96 NSX Oil Change Video

I'm sure almost everyone on here knows this simple stuff, but there are some out there who don't so we try to do some short vids on how to work on your own car. I'm also aware that I'll get flack for A) having a fram filter on there to begin with and B) using Royal Purple oil (from those who don't like it). LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsoUv03iToo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsoUv03iToo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice video man! Keep up the good work :cool: Any chance of scoring some RiceBoy Bumper stickers?

Last edited:
Did I get it correctly: The oil was changed with the engine cold?

I've always jacked up the right rear to do the oil change, it looks easier from the rear, I'll try that next time.
I always change oil when the engine is warm , not hot, so it flows better. Good tip about filling the filter before starting the engine, I've been doing that for decades on my cars but many people don't know about it. It helps build oil pressure immediately, when starting the engine, very important tip.
Another trick that I came up with, is to pour about 1/3 qt of new oil into the engine, while you're draining the old oil, that will flush out any dirty oil that's near the drain hole inside the oil pan.
Excellent job, I look forward to the next video !

Last edited:
Tip: The engine oil should be hot. Or do it right after an extended drive so the debrid sedimented in the engine gets loose and so gets a chance to get out too. :wink:

Tip: The engine oil should be hot. Or do it right after an extended drive so the debrid sedimented in the engine gets loose and so gets a chance to get out too. :wink:

+1 do it when it's hot/warm. So you don't burn yourself use the thicker nitrile gloves and you can use a socket and mini extension to remove the drain plug so HOT oil doesn't get on your hands. Keep it tilted up so the tools/plug don't drop into the pan. OR, once you get to the end of the threads pull the plug away QUICKLY so oil doesn't get on your hands/gloves.
Also, wipe the underside of the oil cap and the area on the valve cover as junk accumulates there...be careful not to knock it into the motor!! Lastly, consider getting a Kics or equivalent magnetic drain plug.

Jeff

Last edited:
wow. remove wheel? too much work!

I usually drop the car from the jack until it just touch the oil drain bucket so more of the oil will drain out.

I have read a lot of material lately that 3000 miles on oil change for modern engine is too often. Bad for the enviroment. With synthetic oil a lot of folks is OK with 1 yr or 10000 miles. Most European cars have adopted similar schedule for years. but that is another topic.

Good job on the Vid :cool:

A tip I wish I had the first time is to cover the lower control arm & frame with aluminum foil, folding the front and rear edges to channel the oil from the filter over the components and into the drain pan.

I have to do this on the Honda Pilot (and old MDX) as well.

Bill

Next:
"How to cut your own hair".

By popular request:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ic7mliw4Udw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ic7mliw4Udw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is very helpful to those of us who have never done this. thanks!

Why am I paying the dealer $125/ change?

Where do we get new crush washers? Anywhere or are they specific to the drain plug?

That is very helpful to those of us who have never done this. thanks!

Why am I paying the dealer $125/ change?

Where do we get new crush washers? Anywhere or are they specific to the drain plug?

You're paying $125 :eek: I just had my oil changed at a dealer and used Mobil 1 which they provided. It cost $80.00. They also changed my air filter which I furnished.

Dear Rikdaddy,

Please post the picture of you , with the phone taped to your head.
It is one of my all time favorite pics of you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
Wil ...

Back