• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

97-01 OEM Springs (51401-SL0-961 F/52441-SL0-961R) & Bilsteins on 91-94?

Hi all,

Has anyone tried the combination in the title? If so, would you please share your insights and what you thought of it?
Currently trying to find OEM springs to un-lower my 92 and wondering if anyone has tried using OEMs from later years on the early cars. Looking mainly to get back to a stock/close-to-stock setup and it seems that's harder to do with the bell of discontinuation tolling louder as the years go by. As far as I can tell, the springs from later years should fit just fine, but if I'm hallucinating, please say as much.

Thanks.

natcc99 beat me to it. Agree with his post. Noffin, reach out to me via PM I think I can help you out.

Best,
Jeff

Looks like I'm too new to PM unfortunately, but thanks Jeff. If possible, I'd also like to keep the info public and searchable :smile: I imagine others will eventually run into similar situations as time goes on and the early OEMs in circulation start to wear out. If you'd prefer to chat privately, please send me an email at [email protected].

It's easy enough to just order the newer springs and slap them in, but that costs money and shipping takes time; I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has opinions on how this combo feels, especially compared to full stock or to KWs/other more expensive aftermarket setups.

For anyone lurking/in the future, I ultimately wound up consulting the below thread and will try to get back to 100% stock. If you're wondering what some common combinations feel like, definitely worth the read--
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/122696-A-Tale-of-Suspense(shun)?p=1174412#post1174412

Also for the record, I spoke to Mita, and they can apparently source new full OEM suspension sets from Japan to match any of year/revision (at least, at time of writing)--
https://www.mitamotorsports.com/1st-gen/oem-suspension

Thanks all.

For anyone lurking/in the future, I ultimately wound up consulting the below thread and will try to get back to 100% stock. If you're wondering what some common combinations feel like, definitely worth the read--
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/122696-A-Tale-of-Suspense(shun)?p=1174412#post1174412

Also for the record, I spoke to Mita, and they can apparently source new full OEM suspension sets from Japan to match any of year/revision (at least, at time of writing)--
https://www.mitamotorsports.com/1st-gen/oem-suspension

Thanks all.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread earlier. I have the full 02+ Type-S suspension on my 1991 and I LOVE it. I think if you went full OEM suspension (damper and spring) from a later NSX setup you'd be fine. I would probably try to stick to the OEM suspensions that were offered on coupes but that's probably more of a mental thing to me than actually mechanical. Although all of that said, if you are looking to stay 100% pure 1992 OEM setup let me know. I have the full setup that came off of my 1991 at 40k miles so it's in excellent shape and I have no need for it.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread earlier. I have the full 02+ Type-S suspension on my 1991 and I LOVE it. I think if you went full OEM suspension (damper and spring) from a later NSX setup you'd be fine. I would probably try to stick to the OEM suspensions that were offered on coupes but that's probably more of a mental thing to me than actually mechanical. Although all of that said, if you are looking to stay 100% pure 1992 OEM setup let me know. I have the full setup that came off of my 1991 at 40k miles so it's in excellent shape and I have no need for it.

Unfortunately, I'm still too new to PM. Would you mind sending me an email at [email protected]? I'd potentially be interested in picking up the shocks if you still have them. Thanks.

At least back in the day, Konis were considered stiffer and a little better suited to the Z springs.

I have had this combo for a long time, along with stiffer sway bars and NSX-R bars. It is a very sharp street/track-able setup *if* the roads in your area are decent. Perfect for canyon carving.

Back