• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C whine?

Today was the first time I used the a/c in my '91. It was converted by the previous owner to R-134a. When on, the a/c compressor made very noticable whining sound, almost like a 6-71 Roots blower. The a/c blows nice & cold, but the sound has me a bit concerned. Is this normal?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Normal for a dying compressor.
frown.gif
I still haven't fixed mine.

-Mike

Originally posted by grippgoat:
Normal for a dying compressor.
frown.gif
I still haven't fixed mine.
-Mike

I'm afraid to ask.... what does a new compressor cost?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Is the ultimate failure mode of a whining a/c compressor benign or catastrophic? In other words, is it okay to use the a/c until it fails, or is the compressor likely to seize and leave me stranded?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I strongly suggest you do not run the AC for one more minute until you have it looked at. By the time it seizes you will have made a real mess of much of your AC system because you will have metal particles floating through everything. This is a real headache and most dealers will only solve it by selling you an entirely new AC system for about $6k.

The compressor will also make noise if you are just low on freon. Continuing to run it with low freon will damage and eventually destroy it.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 18 April 2002).]

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up!

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Can you describe the sound with a little more detail, I know you said it sounds like a blower but are you describing what you hear when you are in the car or from outside the car with the glass up and cover open. The AC system is louder in general than most other cars I have owned. You are sitting very close to the compressor, and the AUX fan on the passenger side of the engine bay seems to only run when the AC is running. I would disconect the AUX fan electrical connector as a test to help narrow down where the sound is comming from. If there is a question I agree with LUD DO NOT USE untill you get it checked out. A compressor is cheeper than a new system.

Best of luck.

Dave

Originally posted by DDozier:
Can you describe the sound with a little more detail, I know you said it sounds like a blower but are you describing what you hear when you are in the car or from outside the car with the glass up and cover open

That's what it sounds like sitting inside the car, with the windows closed, and the a/c blowing. At idle the sound is a distinct mechanical whirring. At speed it really sounds like a Roots blower - the pitch tracks engine RPM so I don't think it's the electric fan. I made an appointment with my Acura dealer today. I'm going to get the timing belt/water pump/tensioner changed at the same time so I'm cheerfully looking forward to this service opportunity.
eek.gif

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 18 April 2002).]

This is the sound my compressor made just before it gave up. Unfortunately, it decided to quit on my out to CA for NSXPO ’99—5k miles w/o AC! $1K for a new compressor installed at my local Acura dealer.

Good luck,

DanO

Back