• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A close-up look at our beloved NSX vs. R8 v10 in comparison, Shocking Traits :)

So today I had a couple friends help me out to do a close-up comparison of the 2002+ NSX vs. the R8 v10. Many of you have thought of how they two cars are like distant brothers from opposite eras. A few Prime members like myself are lucky enough to own both cars and today I was able to drive them back to back for the photoshoot.

Besides the obvious differences, I wanted to share a few things that only owners of both cars would understand. I hope some of you find this post as much fun as I had writing about it.

The NSX is a special car that will always be dear to my heart. I say this literally since my wife and I used this car in our wedding and it's been a real adventure with this NSX since I took ownership of the car many years ago. The NSX is a true collectors car and is a very mod friendly car. It responds well to modification and is an easy car most DIY can work on. The R8 not so much but it has all the amenities we wish the NSX has. Bluetooth, NAVI, backup camera, amazing 500+ hp motor, AWD, 6MT tranny option, and can be a daily driver or pushed hard on the race track.

The NSX is the nimble, graceful, soft spoken gymnast that knows how to keep things fun and treats the driver with instant response, raw exhaust note, amazing steering, and a steering feel that is tough to match. I do admit the 2002+ NSX steering has lost some of it's rawness appeal because of the power assist. I love my buddies 94 NSX with no power steering. It's more of pain to drive around town but feels better at speed.

The R8 v10 is a true power house. It masks speed and is capable of incredible acceleration if the driver demands it. Each gear clicks into place and the revs climb very speed. Driven at slower speeds, it almost feels like a normal Audi. Interior is comfortable and the suspension is quite soft compared to my last GT3 which was bone-jarring and always reminds the driver you are piloting a race car. You can take the Audi to Target, buy groceries and even hit Costco if you don't buy too much bottled water. The dual personalities is what makes the R8 everything the modern NSX should be. Almost every car in our stable has been modded but I dare say the R8 is one car I can drive in stock form and be plenty happy. The stance is not too low but sits quite nice. I can clear most garage entry ways and speed bumps. Best of all this is a car I can enjoy with my kids since the front seat is capable of accepting a baby seat!

IF you guys have any questions I'd be happy to answer or if you want to see a specific angle I missed here, just ask!

Let's start with a fun picture, both cars have a lot of doors to open but in this round the NSX wins!

Both mid-engine cars, the powerplants of choice are the V6 from Honda and v10 from Audi:

Butt to butt, the NSX sits lower but this makes it the harder one to drive around town:

The battle is about to face off:

Frontal view:

R8 could use a bigger wing:

Here you can see why the NSX is hard to drive around town front and rear:

Parting shot:

Although the NSX is 3.7" more narrow than the R8 v10, it's surprising to me the R8 is actually shorter visually!

Side profile shot shows the R8's bulging rear side-blades:

Last edited:
Wow, the comparison shots are beautiful. Again, congrats on your purchase.

Love the r8' but dayumm, I am surprised at how much sleeker and better looking your NSX is compared to it.

Congrats on two white beauties ....I'm jelly:redface:

lol,,,,,because allot of the "drive-ability" issues you are having with the nsx are self inflicted:wink:

Very Nice! What is your NSX power level?

My NSX is pretty much stock powerplant, only has a GT5.1 exhaust. Waiting on Cody over at LoveFab on some custom headers and HFC's so that should give the car a bit more "roar" since the car sounds way too tame. I've never felt the NSX lacked power since it's plenty of power for getting around town. Anything more such as what I have in my s2000 takes away a bit of fun factor. FI is nice for power gains but it just makes the car feel different driving it since you can't mash the throttle without being a lot more cautious. I prefer NA over FI if I had to pick.

Can you fit a golf bag in the Audi?

I have not tried but looking at the space, my guess is NO. For me it's about a double roller bowling bag and I think that will fit since the front trunk is pretty deep. But regardless I don't think I'm crazy enough to park either car at the bowling alley. If I did my bowling scores would suck since I'd be thinking about the car.

Love the r8' but dayumm, I am surprised at how much sleeker and better looking your NSX is compared to it.

Congrats on two white beauties ....I'm jelly:redface:

Thanks both cars have it's own attributes and I'm lucky my wife lets me try both cars. To be fair to Audi's corner, the car is 100% bone stock and I have some plans to do basic mods. Problem with the Audi is everything for that car is so freaking expensive! A wing is easy $3k, exhaust is $6k+, wheels don't even ask as it seems very few companies make quality wheels for the car and they all want $8k+

I'm doing the steering wheel, interior tidbits and minor exterior things first since I just want to enjoy the car for now in stock form. Luckily the V10 sounds ok when the exhaust's second valve is opened up.

nice, I like the R8 in white pretty rare I think I have only seen Sheep BMW grey, and black

but that white NSX is so damn fine..... I would die to have a white one my next build is gonna be another white

NH603P though.

thanks for sharing

Nice Advan Model T5's on the R8. Factory knows how to do it

Good point, I was just thinking about how much I like these wheels and will most likely stick with the OEM wheels for once. Advan T5 has a classic look that is pretty timeless! Plus I don't want to spend $8k+ for wheels regardless..haha

nice, I like the R8 in white pretty rare I think I have only seen Sheep BMW grey, and black

but that white NSX is so damn fine..... I would die to have a white one my next build is gonna be another white

NH603P though.

thanks for sharing

thanks shaun, always loved your build projects! This R8 is an Audi "Exclusive" color called Suzuka Grey. Similar to what BMW does with their "Individual" colors in allowing custom factory colors to be offered at additional cost.

Great pics,I love both cars

Very nice picture, is that a Noble on the far right?

both cars look good! congrats!!!

Thanks Mike, appreciate it, now it just makes it tougher to decide which car to pick since I can only drive these cars one day a weekend at most these days.

Nice article. I did read a Road & track (motor trend) etc comparison and found it very interesting how these 2 cars were very similar in design but very different the sole. Thanks for putting this together.

Interesting comparo, thanks for sharing. I think the NSX would be much easier to drive around town if it were stock height as opposed to lowered.

I've sat in an R8, and it just didn't have that go-kart like visibility to me that the NSX does. I would love to drive an R8 to experience how it feels in motion though.

Nice article. I did read a Road & track (motor trend) etc comparison and found it very interesting how these 2 cars were very similar in design but very different the sole. Thanks for putting this together.

Yes they are both mid motor cars but really that's where the similarity ends. After having had the car for a few months now and tinkering with it - I can tell you there are many things about the R8 that makes it unique to say the least. The engine bay on the v10 is decorated in all CF panels which looks cool but when it comes to working on the car, it makes it a real PITA! I was trying to remove some panels to gain access to the dual stage solenoid valve that controls the exhaust valves. I had to tape up every piece of CF to avoid scratches and there is very little room to work in there. I managed to sneak a peek at the coil packs and OMG they were buried in there. I can only imagine a tech who has to service this car!

The R8 I would categorize as a GT type car more than a sports car. Yes it's fast but once you get past the coolness factor, it really drives like any other Audi when not pushed hard. The clutch, shifter and steering wheel are all very Audi TTRS like, in fact the steering wheel is exactly the same since I'm upgrading my wheel and found this out when purchasing. For a sports car there is plenty of room, all the coolest electronic gadgets like bluetooth and backup assist with PDC sensors front and back. The only thing it's missing is the heated massage seats on the A8L which I've been driving around lately. Also the R8 could use the blind spot lane detection due to it's huge side profile.

In motion and on open highways, the R8 swallows miles so fast you have to be careful...triple digit speeds are too easy and it does so with very little drama. Now that I have the exhaust valves open all the time, the sweet v10 roar is only a sort blip away. I am finding it hard to decide if I want to go to an aftermarket exhaust. This car is so fast and pulls extremely hard that I've yet to need to pass 5000k. Torque is plenty and it's got an extreme presence on the road that everyone notices. Right now it's at stock stance but I feel a nice drop would do wonders for this car. The car's underside is very aerodynamic with a tray that pretty much covers the entire bottom of the car.

A few quirks is that this car cannot be jacked up unless you have this special half cylinder device since the jack points are recessed into the body. Interior wise, the panels are well built and it seems to remove any one component requires a ton of patience. I plan to remove the front bumper soon but there are quite a few panels that need to be removed to gain access to it. Overall it's a difficult car to work on in the garage.

The NSX is all about being lightweight and nimble. When I'm in the NSX, it feels like a middleweight boxer where you feel every part of the road. There is no isolation feeling. It's an affordable exotic that works like any normal car, no special tools are needed! The more I drive the R8, the more I appreciate the NSX for it's simplicity. My wife actually prefers the NSX over the R8 but did exclaim the R8 has the looks to back up the price tag. It's a classy car that requires little mods, in fact it begs to remain stock. Whereas the NSX needs to be modified to look good, the R8 does not. I think that says a lot about the car's design.

Right now I'm trying to find some replacement intake filters, this is the view as I was cleaning out the box:

Last edited:
Makes me feel good about modding my NSX to have equal, if not greater power to weight ratio of the R8 V10.

Really transformed the NSX in so many ways that puts a silly smile on my face when I drive it. I used to have a frown on my face with the stock NSX power (really it's the linear power and puny TQ that I was having more of an issue with).

- - - Updated - - -

....I've sat in an R8, and it just didn't have that go-kart like visibility to me that the NSX does. I would love to drive an R8 to experience how it feels in motion though.

I don't thik ANY street legal car will ever challenge the NSX on that "go-kart like visibility". I've sat in a R8 and a bunch of exotics from Europe and it's back to the NSX's forward visibility. Honda just nailed it there.

Right now I'm trying to find some replacement intake filters, this is the view as I was cleaning out the box:

Beautiful car with a perfect body / blade combo colors. I wouldn't sweat the filters too much and just go with K&N. That is what I went with in my Lambo engine and noticed an increase in sound over the stock paper UZI filters. There are some "high performance" Italian filters that were 3X the cost of the K&N's but with a near stock car I can't imagine any worthwhile gain over K&N's.

Both cars look great. I prefer the NSX, however, the R8 just isn't as appealing to the eye.

Steve K.

This. NSX has a longer ass. R8 directly from behind looks better, but the face looks like a TT and the front looks like the engine might be in the front moreso than the NSX.

Back