• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A little history..and some help.

So I’ve been into fast cars since I could walk, and have been driving them since I could drive. I’m looking into getting an nsx simply because I appreciate not only the joy of driving but the history behind it. I want to get an earlier year and model it after the 98 jgtc car. This is not to say..decals and straight pipes (there will be no euro wing). But I believe in my heart of hearts, this represents the purist of the nsx’s. (Plus..we all know it was there best season)

The only car that ranks as high in nsx history to me is the twin turbo lemans car (that would have won) that was forced out due to “track issues”.

I’m hunting for images of the 98 jgtc GT500 nsx to use as a model. I know how I was with everything else I drove, so I’m sure a couple of current owners could toss me a link or two.

My thanks for your help, please forgive this being my first post. But as I do not currently own the car, I see my presence (unless to ask for assistance in purchasing the car or parts) somewhat ….useless.

Aother simple question, that has been bugging the hell out of me, is whom provided the rims for the Honda jgtc team in 98?

God I wish I knew…anybody?

Until then, my thanks. –Nick

no, I'm a sponsored driver.. I dont rice, I race.

the fact of the matter is I viewed this as a farely tight knit comunity. the car in question is rather exclusive and as such I exected a better responce then this. next time try helping...then being an asswhole... and maybe I'll listen.

as it stands the question stands. I need reference material on the 98 jgtc team. I would very much apreaciate any help on this. Acuras/Hondas are new to me. I'm not into "that" scene. I'm into this car.

another question I'll ask as long as I'm back is.. does factorX have a running website? also does anyone have a tuner the recomend for NSX's in the Houston area.

my thanks (except to qirex who insulted the project of somone without even offering reason)

until then

archangel0585 said:
no, I'm a sponsored driver.. I dont rice, I race.

the fact of the matter is I viewed this as a farely tight knit comunity. the car in question is rather exclusive and as such I exected a better responce then this. next time try helping...then being an asswhole... and maybe I'll listen.

as it stands the question stands. I need reference material on the 98 jgtc team. I would very much apreaciate any help on this. Acuras/Hondas are new to me. I'm not into "that" scene. I'm into this car.

another question I'll ask as long as I'm back is.. does factorX have a running website? also does anyone have a tuner the recomend for NSX's in the Houston area.

my thanks (except to qirex who insulted the project of somone without even offering reason)

until then

Attitude and spelling are two very important characteristics on this site. I see that you're twenty years old, I have underwear older than you (don't wear them, use them as car rags), and I think that you don't want to start off on the wrong foot on this site. The people here are as great as their cars, so try and throttle back a little on the attitude, and you'll find that everyone is more than willing to cut you some slack and help you out.

Welcome to euphoria! :biggrin:

archangel0585 said:
So I’ve been into fast cars since I could walk, and have been driving them since I could drive. I’m looking into getting an nsx simply because I appreciate not only the joy of driving but the history behind it. I want to get an earlier year and model it after the 98 jgtc car. This is not to say..decals and straight pipes (there will be no euro wing). But I believe in my heart of hearts, this represents the purist of the nsx’s. (Plus..we all know it was there best season)

The only car that ranks as high in nsx history to me is the twin turbo lemans car (that would have won) that was forced out due to “track issues”.

I’m hunting for images of the 98 jgtc GT500 nsx to use as a model. I know how I was with everything else I drove, so I’m sure a couple of current owners could toss me a link or two.

My thanks for your help, please forgive this being my first post. But as I do not currently own the car, I see my presence (unless to ask for assistance in purchasing the car or parts) somewhat ….useless.

Aother simple question, that has been bugging the hell out of me, is whom provided the rims for the Honda jgtc team in 98?

God I wish I knew…anybody?

Until then, my thanks. –Nick

Welcome and hope this helps.

I beleive you can find the body kit from SOS (Science of Speed), they are active member and product developer for the NSX on the prime, you can also check kout Route-KS in Japan, for they specialize in NSX and S2000 mods.

As to the performance issues, there are many different approach that had been discuss on prime, weither NA or force industion, we have extensive discussions and documentation on both subjects here on the prime.

Therefore, a little search goes a long ways here.

I was sponsored by next evolution racing. I hope you'll forgive the chip on my shoulder but I picked up my sponsorship when I was 17 (18 on paper) and lost it right when I turned 20. I've always caught flack about my age, and since I've had some imports ( I've had 2 eclipses(best bang for buck ever) and a 240sx to my name in that community) I've always kind of had a red button with the entire.. kid ricer thing. Hard to believe a 20 year old man would still have a chip huh?

I earned my job but lost it because of "image" issues when the shop moved. Basically, I was 20 and the people with the money weren’t, I liked dsm's they liked Hondas. They moved.. I stayed.. we don’t talk.

I got my sponsorship on street credit through the shop owner’s son. Basically, back in the day I had an 1982 s10 that I worked very hard to make run (we've all had one right), and one day Brad(who I went to community college with..no joke) just told his dad... “you gotta meet this kid.” Rest is history.

I've driven in autoX and 1/8 and 1/4, legally. I've done some other things, which are more directly tied to my sponsorship but I regret.

(*stern voice... Don’t race on public roads)

Again, I'm sorry if my attitude may start me off on the wrong foot... sigh.. I’m trying. haha

ohh as far as the hit list to answer xxx, I've raced: 3 "true race only", a 67 rs/ss(built that one), a "god knows when" dodge, a 70 Chevelle, an fd & fc (shops rotarys), a 2000 z28 ( a non spo car a friend built), my personals (read car's I've had the pinks on) a 82 s10 with nothing legal about it, a 95 eclipse (auto x car), a 95 240sx (got out when drifting came around) and a 96 gst(first fast daily driver I had). There have been others, but these were the cars I spent time in.

Now that I'm not sponsored anymore, basically before I get done with college and I cant justify it, I want to do it right..from scratch.. just once.

The NSX is a tempting platform for this. There may be two ways to say it, but there is only one way to spell aluminum. The motor is clean and has infinite possibility.

I want to build a car and not care what others think, just for me this time. I entertained the notion of a bmw or going with a factory twin turbo. But they’re just so common, I think, although I’ve not decided, that the NSX will be my next car.

Mind you minus the ford Taurus I drive everyday…. Fast cars= sore backs.haha

So any help for the reference material or factorX’s website…if it exists, would be greatly appreciated. I’m just a car guy looking to build another car. I’m lucky enough to have grown up with parents who didn’t mine loud motors and now I have a girlfriend who’s ok with my “life size hot wheel collection”.

So this is my last lap before I make it, “just a hobby”.

Hey if I can ask, you seem to have a clear head. What’s your story RPM217, when did the bug bite you?

Until then -Nick

You know, I've worked on muscle cars and I've worked on imports. I've done the euro thing and the true exotic thing... but one thing I've noticed. Car guys are car guys and it reaches a point (that I know I'm at) and that anyone who would modify a car like an NSX has to admit... it's in the blood and it's not changing.

archangel0585 said:
I was sponsored by next evolution racing. I hope you'll forgive the chip on my shoulder but I picked up my sponsorship when I was 17 (18 on paper) and lost it right when I turned 20. I've always caught flack about my age, and since I've had some imports ( I've had 2 eclipses(best bang for buck ever) and a 240sx to my name in that community) I've always kind of had a red button with the entire.. kid ricer thing. Hard to believe a 20 year old man would still have a chip huh?

I earned my job but lost it because of "image" issues when the shop moved. Basically, I was 20 and the people with the money weren’t, I liked dsm's they liked Hondas. They moved.. I stayed.. we don’t talk.

I got my sponsorship on street credit through the shop owner’s son. Basically, back in the day I had an 1982 s10 that I worked very hard to make run (we've all had one right), and one day Brad(who I went to community college with..no joke) just told his dad... “you gotta meet this kid.” Rest is history.

I've driven in autoX and 1/8 and 1/4, legally. I've done some other things, which are more directly tied to my sponsorship but I regret.

(*stern voice... Don’t race on public roads)

Again, I'm sorry if my attitude may start me off on the wrong foot... sigh.. I’m trying. haha

ohh as far as the hit list to answer xxx, I've raced: 3 "true race only", a 67 rs/ss(built that one), a "god knows when" dodge, a 70 Chevelle, an fd & fc (shops rotarys), a 2000 z28 ( a non spo car a friend built), my personals (read car's I've had the pinks on) a 82 s10 with nothing legal about it, a 95 eclipse (auto x car), a 95 240sx (got out when drifting came around) and a 96 gst(first fast daily driver I had). There have been others, but these were the cars I spent time in.

Now that I'm not sponsored anymore, basically before I get done with college and I cant justify it, I want to do it right..from scratch.. just once.

The NSX is a tempting platform for this. There may be two ways to say it, but there is only one way to spell aluminum. The motor is clean and has infinite possibility.

I want to build a car and not care what others think, just for me this time. I entertained the notion of a bmw or going with a factory twin turbo. But they’re just so common, I think, although I’ve not decided, that the NSX will be my next car.

So any help for the reference material or factorX’s website…if it exists, would be greatly appreciated. I’m just a car guy looking to build another car. I’m lucky enough to have grown up with parents who didn’t mine loud motors and now I have a girlfriend who’s ok with my “life size hot wheel collection”.

So this is my last lap before I make it, “just a hobby”.

Hey if I can ask, you seem to have a clear head. What’s your story RPM217, when did the bug bite you?

Until then -Nick

Been a "car guy" since I was two (matchbox), and it just evolved from there. First car was a 1965 Mustang with a 289 high performance engine and the old Hurst T10 shifter. Done the 79 RX7, 82 Supra, 88 Legend Coupe with Kaminari package, BMW 328IC, 2000C5 convertible, and now, the best so far 2002 NSX, don't know what comes next, still enjoying this. This is an incredible group of people, lots of diverse backgrounds, and reasons for being here, but all willing to help. Keep the attitude in check and you'll be blown away by the willingness of someone you never met, on the other side of the country, willing to drive an hour or two to see a car for you, before you waste the time and money to go and check it out for yourself. Be a friend to the community, and it will reward you 100 fold!
BTW, nice reversal on your attitude, keep up the good work! BOL on your search :cool:

you know, you're first car is my girlfriends current one. Yeah how nice is that, what did it take to find a woman who would support my hobby....a woman with a "similar" but "different" one. She’s in a hunter green 65 mustang right now. So sexy haha

As far as the since you were two thing... I use to set my ramps down the banister or my house..many Ferraris and Porches have met grizzly ends bouncing off my mothers old piano.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

archangel0585 said:
Actually you might be pleasantly surprised about that...well, on a stock car anyway. Once you soup up the suspension for racing I'm sure it'll require weekly visits to your chiropractor. :) In any case, welcome to the cult. Take lots of pics of the conversion!

thanks for the welcome.

Here is the deal:

About once a week, someone shows up who is in their early 20's (nothing wrong with that...) and to be blunt, doesn't have the income to buy an NSX, let alone modify one.

They always ask the same list of questions: Where can I get the widest body kit, where have I get the largest wheels, where can I get twin turbos, 500hp, blah, blah, blah. It's always rather entertaining, since they never seem too concerned with the $60k, $80k, or $100k they lack, only their trouble finding the website, or phone number, or shop where they can purchase $40k worth of aftermarket parts (they usually already have them picked out, though they rarely seem to know much about them).

Maybe you're that guy for this week, or maybe not.

Either way, let me provide some free advice. You're 20! No need to explain to some old guys all the great things you have learned and done. Instead, it's time to keep increasing that knowledge and preparing for the experiences to come. If you aren't just bad at math, and you actually have the cash to pull off these big JGTC NSX plans...then get your A$$ out of "community college" and use your big bills as a down payment on your future.

I mean you no offense. In fact, I spent some of my time explaining this community's situation to you. Good luck in whatever you do.

u00mem91 said:
Here is the deal:

About once a week, someone shows up who is in their early 20's (nothing wrong with that...) and to be blunt, doesn't have the income to buy an NSX, let alone modify one. I mean you no offense. In fact, I spent some of my time explaining this community's situation to you. Good luck in whatever you do.

Lets not "diss" on the early 20 crowd. Im a part of it too. I say, go for it. Get 7 Credit Cards with High spending limits and go to town. Nothin wrong with wishful thinking or planning for the future (even the far future). Many of us have done it. I had my plan for the NSX since I was 18. I even knew exactly what my first mods were going to be :biggrin:

By the way, welcome to our CLUB! everyone is real chill here so stay around and lurk for awhile.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Lets not "diss" on the early 20 crowd. Im a part of it too. I say, go for it. Get 7 Credit Cards with High spending limits and go to town. Nothin wrong with wishful thinking or planning for the future (even the far future). Many of us have done it. I had my plan for the NSX since I was 18. I even knew exactly what my first mods were going to be :biggrin:

By the way, welcome to our CLUB! everyone is real chill here so stay around and lurk for awhile.

i second that, i'm an early twentysomething too. good luck with the project

har har, although i love the irony of these guys sometimes

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Get 7 Credit Cards with High spending limits and go to town.

I don't think going to get a bunch of high limit cards and maxing them out is the best thing to do if he wants to get an NSX. JMHO

92NSX said:
I don't think going to get a bunch of high limit cards and maxing them out is the best thing to do if he wants to get an NSX. JMHO

not smart but oh so fun... I did it once and now I down have any credit cards :biggrin:

When I had just turned 19, I got an AMEX Optima card with a 5k limit. I was stupid and maxed it out. Took me several years of working two jobs to pay it off. I learned my lesson, painfully but completely.
That is why I only have one card now and that is strictly to rent a car on vacation.

Careful, my friend, you only get one chance at a first impression...
so i'd check the attitude at the login screen :wink:

Anyway, Good luck with getting the car and welcome to the boards!

u00mem91 said:
Here is the deal:

About once a week, someone shows up who is in their early 20's (nothing wrong with that...) and to be blunt, doesn't have the income to buy an NSX, let alone modify one.

They always ask the same list of questions: Where can I get the widest body kit, where have I get the largest wheels, where can I get twin turbos, 500hp, blah, blah, blah. It's always rather entertaining, since they never seem too concerned with the $60k, $80k, or $100k they lack, only their trouble finding the website, or phone number, or shop where they can purchase $40k worth of aftermarket parts (they usually already have them picked out, though they rarely seem to know much about them).

Maybe you're that guy for this week, or maybe not.

Either way, let me provide some free advice. You're 20! No need to explain to some old guys all the great things you have learned and done. Instead, it's time to keep increasing that knowledge and preparing for the experiences to come. If you aren't just bad at math, and you actually have the cash to pull off these big JGTC NSX plans...then get your A$$ out of "community college" and use your big bills as a down payment on your future.

I mean you no offense. In fact, I spent some of my time explaining this community's situation to you. Good luck in whatever you do.

I understand where you're coming from, you think I liked talking to the hondaphiles at every car meet, but if you truly believe this..there is no need to say it. Wait it out and I'll disappear wont I. Also, I met Brad when I went to community college, I go to Baylor..so don’t you dare talk to me about my future. I bust my ass for it every day. I started at a community college because I had to work while I went to school; I got a transfer scholarship to move up to Baylor. On the off case you've never heard of the school, it's the oldest university in Texas, founded in 1850.. I work for my future everyday, but I don’t forget to live the days as they come. What do you do?

I respect your opinion, but you're car will never buy my respect..nor will your age. You need to work on your attitude a bit. I've been sinking money into cars for a long time. This is the natural progression of my obsession.

For the record, I'm extraordinary at math but my major is political science. I'm pre law. What did you major in?

I've worked for my money and for the level my life is at. I never asked for your understanding, I asked for reference material, became curt, apologized and then now I have to deal with you. So as far as your advice, it's noted. But you're attitude is un requested, un welcome and I find your summery judgment of me offensive. Come on man.. lighten up.

I'll manage my life and my finances, my time at school and all that entails. I know how good a community like this can be as a resource. so the question is are you just a sad guy clinging to a 90k steering wheel… who's forgotten what it was like to work on a fire damaged car, drive something with a salvage title, or make a ford deuce fly.

I'll be your buddy if you'll let me, and you'll find that I know my stuff, but know how to listen...that’s how I've learned. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm just me. 20 at a university, not a JC. I'm not a flash in the pan and if I go this route.. I'll go it all out. it's the way I work.

So are you done passing a judgment…or do you need a few more post rebuttal.. because we can be cool man. I’ve liked everyone else here and I’ve toned my attitude down.

let's just get along and try again... Hi, I'm Nick.

archangel0585 said:
For the record, I'm extraordinary at math but my major is political science. I'm pre law. What did you major in?

let's just get along and try again... Hi, I'm Nick.

I majored in nothing, i have no education :tongue: :biggrin:

bodypainter said:
I majored in Computer Science, I have no social skills.

Oh, and Nick, welcome to the cult.

thanks for the welcome

archangel0585 said:
thanks for the welcome

Nick,

Good luck with the NSX.. I purchased my 91 last week and couldn't be happier.

Just a nickel's worth of free advice; don't tell people any more than they need to know online.. If you had just jumped on asking about the JGTC information no one would have given you a hard time. People always have an agenda and will find something to pick at no matter what you do or say. If you stick around for awhile you'll know who you want to talk with..

In so far as the NSX motor; it is certainly not abounding with potential horsepower. I am not that knowledgeable on the subject, but have some opinions.. Lets talk about the 3.0L motor, because that is most likely what you'll end up with. Out of the factory it should dyno at about 235 hp at the wheels, and the standard intake/header/exhaust/chip will put you up to 260, if you are lucky. Ok. Great.

So then you get more crazy and change the cams, port/polish the heads, ditch the chip and go engine management.. Now what.. Ok, maybe you are pushing 280, 290 if you rea really lucky.

Now lets look at the bill, assuming second hand part for exhaust/header

1000 exhaust
1000 header
300 intake
1000 EMS system
1500 cams
500 head work

$5,300 total.. granted, that would be a very fast normally aspirated motor, but I hope this makes it clear that a unorthodox approach will be needed. I haven't researched forced induction, but the price will be closer to $10,000 after debugging the system; certainly not cost effective, IMO.

What might work out better, would be a custom turbo setup.. We know the amount of boost the motors can take via all the supercharger work out there, so why do a turbo kit :) You'll need a good fabricator; hopefully a friend that will work for free :)

Other than that.... I guess you can go NOS, but I have no advice for you here, that seems like cheating to me. :tongue:

-Jer

Back