• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A Supra owner finally saw what its all about... drove an NSX for the 1st time

First off, My name's Jeff and I'm a 25 year old workaholic with a serious addiction to awesome cars of all breeds and pedigrees.
Back in high school I ended up with a 1987 Supra Turbo and the modding bug hit me and after dozens of go-rounds with blown up 7M-GTE's over the years I decided to jump into the MK4 Supra world and I currently am in the process of building up a '95 black/black cloth hardtop into a purist TT/6-spd driving monster. That being said, I've had the wonderful fortune to have driven a wide variety of my friend's various sports cars, from Ferrari 355s, Z06s, 300ZXTT's, MR2 Turbos, LS1 Trans Ams, Mustang Cobras, Vipers, 350Z's, etc and all of them truly have something special to offer. But I'd not had the opportunity to drive an NSX before despite having a healthy respect for them.

Enter my friend Chuckie (Viper Driver here on NSXP I believe), a local NSX owner/F16 pilot/Ninja Badass that previously owned a black '91 on gold Volk GT-C's that was the subject of a great deal of my driving fantasies and recently picked up a 2002 NSX-T 6-spd that currently wears a set of IForged Retros.

Last night I was at a local car meet BBQ and just as the party was winding down and everyone is hopping in their various cars to go for a cruise, I was walking across the parking lot to go home and Chuckie rolls up in that new silver NSX of his with the top off - the first time I'd seen it in person, thanks to my 80 hour weeks and the corresponding lack of time to make it to local events over the past few months.
I hop in the passenger side and tell him that everyone's going for a cruise and to follow the gang. We catch up and as he's driving the first thing I notice is the remarkable lack of body flex despite his roof being off and the Tein coilovers he has installed - Supras with a targa top removed are a flopping noodle in comparison without extensive aftermarket reinforcements.
We follow the gang and I'm enjoying the symphony of an engine the NSX has and I start to appreciate the car more and more. After the first leg of our cruise and we're standing around a parking lot getting everyone regrouped, Chuckie does the unthinkable - he throws me the Keys to his NSX.

It was hard to play it cool, it really was. Sitting in the drivers side I absolutely awed at all the evident details marking her as a true drivers car - pedal placement, wheel/shifter placement, the stock seats, and all with great visibility all around the car!
Driving the NSX out of the parking lot I immediately notice the awesome steering feel and throttle response. This car was conceived, developed, born & raised to be driven like a monster, but she was taught to speak politely! While I was negotiating the parking lot I got the feeling like I was on a first date with a girl that I just *knew* would be amazing in the sack.
Pulling into the pack of our friends in our delightful diversity of cars ranging from a Supercharged 350Z to an '03 Mustang Cobra to Supras and Camaros and Vettes and 300ZXTT's, etc - the NSX still stood out like a cute blonde at a goth party.
Some indeterminable amount of time passes, and between the perfect top-off nighttime cruising weather and the sheer joy of having such an amazing car under my heel & toe a huge shit eating grin finds itself plastered on my face like so many bugs on the windshield of a Mack truck. I joke to Chuckie that he's going to need a crowbar to pry me out of his car and he laughs.
The rev range kept tantalizing me, as the laid back cruising nature of our outing with friends left little opportunity to really make that C32B sing to me.
Finally, on a straightaway safe enough to minimize the risks involved, I give her a jolly romp and she sings like an F1 machine all the way through to the top of 3rd (or was it 4th?) at which point Chuckie laughs and says 'That's enough!'. Her brakes respond like they'd been waiting all this time to actually *do* something, the initial bite and pedal feel being remarkably predictable despite having never driven an NSX before.

A day later I can't seem to scrape that shit eating grin off of my face - Chuckie, if one day I wake up and the Supra projects are gone and there's an NSX there to replace them... I'm blaming you for corrupting me! LOL.

So, theres my long-winded introduction and recollection of my all too short first date with an NSX - wish me luck at staying away from buying one! :biggrin:

Jeff

Last edited:
Nice Jeff! Too bad you didn't get the chance to buy Chuck's 1991....I did though and I'm the one who's shipping it to Dubai. Chuck is a very good NSX owner and he seems to know the right mods for the NSX.

Let's put it this way when Chuck first gave me the keys to my NSX I was utterly speechless for the day. The driving dynamics, feel, etc. are awesome. The first thing I noticed when driving the car was the outward view from the windshield and the two hood humps (wheel wells)...

I predict you'll want an NSX sooner rather than later. Just imagine Chuck's NSX with a Comptech Supercharger....mmmmmmm

Cheers,
Jetpilot

Ha ha, great story! You know, a decent '91 is in the high-20s these days. Maybe there's room in your garage one day for the beauty (NSX) and the beast (Supra)?

I definitely don't whore my car out (she's much too good of a girl for that) but I knew you'd be a guy who would appreciate her. And Jetpilot, don't worry, your new baby didn't get very many opportunities to have others drive her, either! I think I could count the number of people on one hand who have driven her since I owned her, all supervised w/me in the right seat, of course.

Prediction: In the not-too-distant future, you'll be posting in the Owner's forum! :tongue:

That post was a pleasure to read. You should write for some auto mag! or do you? That was so well written that it gave me goose bumps reading it! It reminded me of the first time I drove an NSX, and it refreshed all of the reasons why I'm going to own one someday (roughly 5 years from now, I'm 24). Hope to read more of your future posts here on Prime!

Nice Jeff! Too bad you didn't get the chance to buy Chuck's 1991....I did though and I'm the one who's shipping it to Dubai. Chuck is a very good NSX owner and he seems to know the right mods for the NSX.

Let's put it this way when Chuck first gave me the keys to my NSX I was utterly speechless for the day. The driving dynamics, feel, etc. are awesome. The first thing I noticed when driving the car was the outward view from the windshield and the two hood humps (wheel wells)...

I predict you'll want an NSX sooner rather than later. Just imagine Chuck's NSX with a Comptech Supercharger....mmmmmmm

Cheers,
Jetpilot
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves looking at the hood/fender humps on each side while driving.:biggrin:

Hi

Great story. Now get that boy a nice NSX.

I remember the feeling when Gheba handed me the keys in this story. A great feeling thats for sure.

Looking forward to seeing you in a NSX soon and letting us now here on Prime.

Regards

Hi, Jeff

I'm glad you've been bitten by the NSX bug! I've been bitten twice... I currently have a 2001 and a 1991. You can see both of them cruising the streets of Albuquerque.

If you're ever serious about buying one you may want to contact me. My '91 is a great example of an unmodified and pristine condition car.

Philippe

Sounds to me like you'll be a great NSX owner.

Let me be the first to welcome you, in ADVANCE. You cant stop it now, one drive is all it takes.

Sounds to me like you'll be a great NSX owner.

Let me be the first to welcome you, in ADVANCE. You cant stop it now, one drive is all it takes.

LOL thank you for the pre-welcome, BioBanker! :biggrin:
And thanks to the rest of you Gents for the warm reception - I had a feeling that my case of NSXitis wasn't unique and that I was likely to find other folks here that suffer from the same plight!

Yes, the NSX bug has bitten me quite convincingly - and literally, as no less than 4 hours after the amazing opportunity to drive Chuck's NSX I was in a fever, nauseated and sweating from what would later be discovered to be none other than a black widow bite on my ankle! (no joke) Yet despite that rather miserable experience I still had enough motivation and command of the language to start this thread because frankly, I couldn't quit thinking about that car!
Another friend of ours joked that he threw the spider in the car out of jealousy :) Personally, I think Chuck is secretly cultivating some swarms of attack spiders that bite people with the NSX bug!

Phillippe, I'm delighted to learn that a nice local '91 might become available for the right buyer in the future, but my big dark secret is that I'm a glutton for punishment and my favorite punishment by far is fixer-upper project cars that need (lots of) love. So, chances are a well maintained all original gorgeous example like your '91 would probably not have enough room for my big idiotic head - because its outside my juvenile realm of understanding to buy a car that needs nothing! :biggrin:
Though, hopefully in a year or three I'll grow up and get financially comfortable enough to have two sports cars (Supra and NSX... which one is the beauty and which one is the beast, I mean, really?)
In the meantime I'll stick around here as an occasionally verbose wallflower until the right gir-I mean, NSX comes along. :)

...Another friend of ours joked that he threw the spider in the car out of jealousy :) Personally, I think Chuck is secretly cultivating some swarms of attack spiders that bite people with the NSX bug...

Actually, the Spider is an Anti-Theft Mechanism (or Anti-Theft Organism for that matter) :biggrin:

On a serious note, hope you are doing better now and get well soon, my fellow future NSXer.

If thats the case, than you can always pick up a salvaged NSX and make it road worthy again. We have a few members who was determined enough to save a hand full of these cars. Its better that those cars gets picked up by people like you than to rot in the bone yard.

Great story...hope you get a NSX soon.

I've owned a 94 Supra TT rare hardtop 6 spd for a few years. Raw power but lacked the handling/agility of the NSX. Sold my 91 NSX after 3 years of ownership and some bolt on/tranny mods. Bought another 92 NSX heavily modded w/ widebody/SC/I/H/E/brembos/HKS coilovers etc. and she'll be with me for a lifetime.

Jeff

Hey, Jeff

I live in Corrales Heights, Rio Rancho; very close to Intel. You're welcome to come by and chat/drive if you want to. I'm always happy to share the NSX experience with an enthusiast. PM me if you're interested.

Philippe

Supras with a targa top removed are a flopping noodle in comparison without extensive aftermarket reinforcements.

Great story!

Interesting. You should take a drive in a fixed roof NSX! :)

Incidentally, after 2 months of Supra ownership, I really appreciate the design of the NSX top. I used to think it was a pain to remove it, but it's nothing compared to the Supra. I've still not figured out how to stow the Supra top yet (so I'll have to read the manual). :redface:

ViperDriver are you really an F16 pilot?

If thats the case, than you can always pick up a salvaged NSX and make it road worthy again. We have a few members who was determined enough to save a hand full of these cars. Its better that those cars gets picked up by people like you than to rot in the bone yard.

Only if the NSX is salvaged due to theft and not damage. IMO picking up a salvaged NSX that has substantial damage is a big no no especially if it has frame damage since these aluminum cars can never be straightened to 100% once it has been in a substantial collision.

LOL thank you for the pre-welcome, BioBanker! :biggrin:
And thanks to the rest of you Gents for the warm reception - I had a feeling that my case of NSXitis wasn't unique and that I was likely to find other folks here that suffer from the same plight!

Yes, the NSX bug has bitten me quite convincingly - and literally, as no less than 4 hours after the amazing opportunity to drive Chuck's NSX I was in a fever, nauseated and sweating from what would later be discovered to be none other than a black widow bite on my ankle! (no joke) Yet despite that rather miserable experience I still had enough motivation and command of the language to start this thread because frankly, I couldn't quit thinking about that car!
Another friend of ours joked that he threw the spider in the car out of jealousy :) Personally, I think Chuck is secretly cultivating some swarms of attack spiders that bite people with the NSX bug!

Phillippe, I'm delighted to learn that a nice local '91 might become available for the right buyer in the future, but my big dark secret is that I'm a glutton for punishment and my favorite punishment by far is fixer-upper project cars that need (lots of) love. So, chances are a well maintained all original gorgeous example like your '91 would probably not have enough room for my big idiotic head - because its outside my juvenile realm of understanding to buy a car that needs nothing! :biggrin:
Though, hopefully in a year or three I'll grow up and get financially comfortable enough to have two sports cars (Supra and NSX... which one is the beauty and which one is the beast, I mean, really?)
In the meantime I'll stick around here as an occasionally verbose wallflower until the right gir-I mean, NSX comes along. :)

Great story, and excellent writing. Welcome to the forum for "the thinking man's Ferrari" so to speak. I take that as a compliment BTW.

Back