• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

about to buy NSX for $2,000-Has major front end damage, need OPINIONS, Please help!!!

Everything infront of firewall has to be replaced. Acura quoted about $35,000 to
fix. I can do all labor myself and save lots of money, but I would still have to buy
everything. The only thing I am concerned about is the frame. What can I do. I
doubt a frame restor. shop would beable to straighten it. I would have to find and
purchase an entire new front frame section. I really doubt the NSX is multi
chassised, isn't the entire frame all one large section. How would I acomplish
this...Please any help is appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 3
What year is the car? If it is pre-96, I wouldn't even consider it.

I personally would not do it for a vairiety of reasons. I know someone in Dallas who put two cars together to fix a bad wreck and the car was never exactly right. The chassis has to be PERFECT or it will never drive the way it should. As you can get a decent early NSX for less than $35K anyway, I don't think it is a good plan. Besides, jobs like that always cost more and take longer than you think they will.

Attachments

• rsz_20171005_112122a.jpg
    rsz_20171005_112122a.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 11
  • rsz_20171005_125413a.jpg
    rsz_20171005_125413a.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 12
RUN! RUN! As fast as you can the other way. The only way I would even consider this is if you had another NSX and you needed parts from the back end or interior of this one to fix it, then $2,000 might be a good deal. Hell, if it is a 2000, I will buy it for the spare engine, but don't kid yourself that the car will ever be anything other than a nightmare for you.

If I were you, I would buy the car for $2,000 advertise all the parts for sale seperately and pick up another $10K - $15K and put that down on a 1991 that should only cost you about $25K-$30K.

I had a 1981 Datsun 280ZX Turbo that was hit head on like that and did damage equal to half the value of the car. It never drove right again and with the much power and all your handling and control up front, you would be a fool to put that car back on the road.

The sad part about that is that someone will and then a year or so from now we will all get a message to the list... "Hey, I just bought what I thought was a mint condition 1995 NSX-T, but now it doesn't handle so good and I am wearing out front tires ever 1,000 miles and it vibrates really bad above 120mph. What do I do". Our answer will be, talk to "SaxGuy".
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

hey hey,

I would agree with David and G-Man. It's cheap and all, but it's not worth risking your life for...i mean sure it's look cool and all, _but_ if ya get into an accident, and the frame isn't strong and stable, you are pretty much screwed.
If you do buy it, buy it for the parts, and sell the parts on eBay. Like what G-Man said, you can make a bit.

l8z

saxguy, if possible you should get the VIN from the smashed NSX to add to NSXPrime's list of <a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/totalledvin.htm">Totaled NSXs</a>

-Bob ('94 #496)

You're right, you're going to have to cut the front off and weld a new one on. In order to get that you're probably going to need to buy another totalled car that's undamaged in the front. Double check everything from the A-pillars back. The roof is difficult to replace (it's the only panel that doesn't bolt on) so you don't want to get into the project and realize you need to buy a new roof section to weld on.

I wouldn't even consider this project unless you have experience welding aluminum cars and access to the right equipment (laser frame rack, MIG welding rig, etc).

With decent condition higher-mile NSXs going upper-20s I am not sure this project is going to make a lot of financial sense, especially since it will be hard to sell.

If you are still interested I can post some diagrams of the chassis construction. Let me know.

Back