• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

About to install KW V3 Coil-overs. Wait and order new top mounts first?

I just picked up a set of KW Variant 3 coilovers and as I've been doing some research on here I stumbled on a few owners mentioning upgrading the top mounts during the install. Tried searching more into this but can't seem to get any solid information. Currently driving a '97 w/ 70k miles. I get the idea of "you're already there, so might as well for maintenance", but at the same time is it actually necessary with the new suspension setup? What's the gain?

Science of Speed option for reference: https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...hock-absorber-top-mount-pair-nsx-1991-05.html

The Science of Speed/iLife top hats are very nice, but you do not have to upgrade to them. They also have urethane bushings which are stiffer and will make the ride a little less forgiving than the OEM rubber bushings.

I think what most people suggest doing is replacing the OEM bushings with new OEM bushings depending on the age of the car. At ~$10 a piece for OEM bushings you should probably just do it (you need 8).

https://www.acurapartsforless.com/v...--6-speed-manual/chassis--rear-shock-absorber

You can also just buy SOS/iLift urethane bushings for the stock top hats. I have these, but will probably go back to stock bushings for a bit more comfort.

Last edited:
Nearly $80 for 8 OEM bushings (2 per side) is not cheap as they don't have a tendency to fail.

I'd better spend some money on the metal sleeves which tend to rust. Part no. 8 4x$0.74.

As I recall, KW sells a top hat kit with ball joints (my guess, not sure) too. But the SoS solution is also very nice.

The top hats have replaceable bushings. When I upgraded to KW I bought non oem replacements for 6 bucks each which include the sleeve, upper/lower bushing, and washer. the hat itself doesn't wear and buying all new oem ones is a rip off. Sorry I do not have a part number but just google it.

Back