• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Light - New Pump or Upgrade

MJK

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I took the car out for a drive today and got the dreaded ABS light. Brakes do indeed lock up (rears). After some troubleshooting per DanOLand, I think my ABS motor is done. It does get power when the relay is jumped, but doesn't make a peep. No clicks, no pressure, nada.

This is not entirely unexpected as the pump has been getting noisier for years despite me bleeding it occasionally. No leaks. It does hold pressure for weeks/months.

So, I think my options are a new motor (57310-SL0-003) for $450 or the Mita 2000+ upgrade kit for $1800.

Anyone been down this road before? Am I missing anything? What did you do, or would you do if you had it to do again?

Thanks in Advance,
Mark

Last edited:
I went with the SOS kit...but bottom line the newer kit sans solenoids is neat and tidy. No more needing to exercise...

Thanks Doc.

Does it drive any different (road or track)?

Not really...just no more goofy noises...

I think I'd be happy if it worked as well/quietly as it did years ago, so theoretically the new pump should sort me out.

..unless of course the rest of the system is ready to fail too. So, who knows. I'm going to mull it over.

I appreciate the input. Best to you and yours in 2021!

Abs

Just went through the same thing and if you can get a new pump, you’ll still have a first gen Honda system, good when it was new but you’ll still have the same problems down the road. I just bit the bull it and did the upgrade swap. No more problems.

Cheers
nigel

Hi All,

I took the car out for a drive today and got the dreaded ABS light. Brakes do indeed lock up (rears). After some troubleshooting per DanOLand, I think my ABS motor is done. It does get power when the relay is jumped, but doesn't make a peep. No clicks, no pressure, nada.

This is not entirely unexpected as the pump has been getting noisier for years despite me bleeding it occasionally. No leaks. It does hold pressure for weeks/months.

So, I think my options are a new motor (57310-SL0-003) for $450 or the Mita 2000+ upgrade kit for $1800.

Anyone been down this road before? Am I missing anything? What did you do, or would you do if you had it to do again?

Thanks in Advance,
Mark

The 2000+ ABS is night and day difference from the old ABS in terms of pedal feedback and responsiveness. I did the upgrade in my 91 and was impressed, especially in the snow. The car was far more controllable in a slide. Also, if you drive aggressively on the circuit, the new ABS is much, much better than the old one, which scared me to death when it activated before a corner.

That said, if you don't drive your NSX in the snow or hard on the track, the upgrade isn't really necessary. Just preferable. The old system works fine for its intended purpose.

Thanks all. I do want ABS, so some sort of repair is in order.

In reading your observations, is it fair to call the 2000+ ABS more 'S2000 like'? I would describe my former AP2 as having a lighter pedal and a less aggressive 'kickback' when the system is activated. Also it seemed like the wheel speed management was more nuanced/responsive and able to recover the slipping wheel sooner. Is that the gist of the upgrade?

The car has 65k and a good maintenance history. If replacing the pump buys me many more years of reliable Gen 1 level performance then I think I'd just do that. I like the heavier pedal and if I somehow get the time/funds to resume track trips it likely won't be with the NSX. It is just my weekend happy car now.

On the other hand, if replacing the pump just hits the snooze buttonuntil the next 27 year old component fails - then it is time for this whole system to go. I'll replace it with the 2000+ while the OEM Honda components are still available to do so.

Abs

You’ll have to find a new pump motor. They’re almost, if not impossible to find and after sending and taking mine to several auto and aviation overhaul shops for overhaul the parts just don’t exist to do the overhaul.
Look long and hard and maybe you can find a new motor but good luck.
I have two motors that need overhaul so if you succeed let me know. Both my ‘91 Preludes have bad pumps, (the same part number for the pump) and I’ve tried with no luck.
The one in my NSX still works but after doing a ton of upgrade / update work I just went with the new system and done with it.
I think you’ll find Mita Motorsports has a better price for the complete new system and wire harness assy.

Cher’s
nigel

Last edited:
I think the 57310-SL0-003 contains motor and pump, and I have a line in to Amayama to confirm availability. I'll let you know what they say.

If it is NLA, then I think the Mita upgrade is the only logical choice and I saw Warren's DIY.

Cheers guys, and Happy 2021!

gotta be better than craptastic 20....

Amen to that.

I am hoping '21 is our reward for surviving '20, but at the very last I am going to fully embrace my socially distant garage therapy and put more than a couple hundred miles on the NSX.

You know I love to derail thread topics....but I like to post like a chat....A pandemic really separates the have and have nots/ its like a forest fire that kills the scrub but allows the evergreens to flourish. It thins the heard, but we are more than cattle...

Last edited:
Thanks Doc.

Does it drive any different (road or track)?

Better, more modern ABS feel. 3x the pulses. I have used it on the track and it provides a lot of confidence. The original ABS never had anything left for the second corner, if you used it on the first corner.
I recommend the SOS kit. I provided a write up on NSXPrime for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, agreed. I think (and hope) everyone here is extremely lucky in life.

Even then, 2020 touches us all to varying degrees. There was a lot to be a learned, and I hope we all did learn at least some of it. More science/logic/fact, more proactivity, more empathy, and hopefully more appreciation for all the good you ignore when things are 'normal' and you have your nose to the grindstone. Also how staggeringly far things can go wrong if good people don't stand up. Whatever everyone else's 2020 lessons are, let's hope at least some of it applies itself and we all make 2021 a little better.

As for the chat, I remember those days fondly. One or two good people can make a hell of difference in the world. Hence the Len signature. But forgive the philosophical diversion - 'tis that time of the year.

Best to all you guys in 2021. Will let you know how the whole brake thing shakes out, and I do appreciate everyone's two cents.

Thanks for spending more time on Prime!

Warren, I saw the writeup. Thank you for that and the reply.

I may upgrade to 2000+ sooner or later, but for now I just want it back to the way it was. I placed an order with Amayama for a new pump assembly (57310-SL0-003). It was $440 delivered.

Last edited:
A little late now since you got a new Pump assembly, but an s2000 retrofit works as well. Total cost is roughly 7-800 depending on how much you spend on a used S2000 ABS unit and where you get the hoses/lines.

Will let you know how the whole brake thing shakes out, and I do appreciate everyone's two cents.

For posterity's sake: the new motor and pump has everything operating as it was before.

Back