• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Light

Hi! Need some advise. My ABS light comes after about 2-3 minutes of starting the car. When I turn off the engine, the light goes off but will come back on after 2-3 mins when I re-start the engine. Got the car checked at the Honda workshop and they said that I need to replace the Power Pump Module. Moreover they said that this item may not be available even in Japan. What are my options? Thanks

Use the service check connector to determine what the stored error codes are in the ABS system. The procedure for code retrieval along with a list of the error codes are described in the brake section of the service manual

https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

The error codes and the service manual will allow you to confirm the nature of the problem.

The most reliable source for NSX parts is probably Amayama. Amayama still shows the pump assembly as being available. However, it is subject to updates and stuff can disappear.

Absアキュームレーター for Honda NSX 1 generation 09.1990 - 11.2001 - Honda Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

Use your vehicle VIN to confirm that you are looking at the correct parts page - I am guessing that you might have a right hand steer car which has some differences than left hand steer cars. If you had the failure diagnosed by a Honda dealer, the other option is to ask them for the relevant part numbers. You can do a part number search on Amayama to determine if the part appears to be available. Unlike the Honda / Acura critical parts order process, parts delivery from Amayama is fairly quick if the part is available.

You can completely delete the ABS system. There are threads discussing that on Prime. You can also update the ABS modulator to the more modern / compact / generally better in every way modulator that was used on the NSX starting in 2000. You can also install the modulator from a Honda S2000 which is similar to the 2000+ NSX modulator. The advantage of the S2000 modulator is that you can find salvaged units on EBay and other places for a lower cost than than a new NSX 2000+ modulator. The retrofit requires some fabrication. You can find threads on Prime describing the S2000 and NSX 2000+ modulators.

Science of Speed sells a complete package for upgrade to the later NSX modulator. Not inexpensive.

ScienceofSpeed NA2 ABS System Upgrade - Brake Accessories & ABS System - Brake Products - NSX, 1991-05

It might be cheaper to purchase the parts individually from Amayama and source the wiring harness from Science of Speed.

Last edited:
Use the service check connector to determine what the stored error codes are in the ABS system. The procedure for code retrieval along with a list of the error codes are described in the brake section of the service manual

The error codes and the service manual will allow you to confirm the nature of the problem.

The most reliable source for NSX parts is probably Amayama. Amayama still shows the pump assembly as being available. However, it is subject to updates and stuff can disappear.

Absアキュームレーター for Honda NSX 1 generation 09.1990 - 11.2001 - Honda Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

Use your vehicle VIN to confirm that you are looking at the correct parts page - I am guessing that you might have a right hand steer car which has some differences than left hand steer cars. If you had the failure diagnosed by a Honda dealer, the other option is to ask them for the relevant part numbers. You can do a part number search on Amayama to determine if the part appears to be available. Unlike the Honda / Acura critical parts order process, parts delivery from Amayama is fairly quick if the part is available.

You can completely delete the ABS system. There are threads discussing that on Prime. You can also update the ABS modulator to the more modern / compact / generally better in every way modulator that was used on the NSX starting in 2000. You can also install the modulator from a Honda S2000 which is similar to the 2000+ NSX modulator. The advantage of the S2000 modulator is that you can find salvaged units on EBay and other places for a lower cost than than a new NSX 2000+ modulator. The retrofit requires some fabrication. You can find threads on Prime describing the S2000 and NSX 2000+ modulators.

Science of Speed sells a complete package for upgrade to the later NSX modulator. Not inexpensive.

ScienceofSpeed NA2 ABS System Upgrade - Brake Accessories & ABS System - Brake Products - NSX, 1991-05

It might be cheaper to purchase the parts individually from Amayama and source the wiring harness from Science of Speed.

Thank You very much. That's really super informative.

Dear [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION] . Was reading over your post and was wondering if you know of a list with all the part numbers for the ABS upgrade. The kit provided by the shop mentioned above is backordered with several months of wait time. Might have to give your Amayama suggestion a shot! Any and all help is appreciated.

Dear @Old Guy . Was reading over your post and was wondering if you know of a list with all the part numbers for the ABS upgrade. The kit provided by the shop mentioned above is backordered with several months of wait time. Might have to give your Amayama suggestion a shot! Any and all help is appreciated.

I can't help you with the upgrade details because I have a 2000 which came with the the later ABS unit from the factory. I believe that [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] has / is doing the ABS conversion on his project car. He may be able to help you with part numbers. His complete project is here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-Type-S-Zero?p=1976594&viewfull=1#post1976594

So. Good news and bad news. Bad news is that you need to buy the LHD pipes, which are not available from Amayama IIRC (they only sell the RHD). However, good news is US Acura does sell them. However, I got all of my LHD ABS pipes from ATR Parts in Austria, since [MENTION=9710]austrian type-R[/MENTION] had them at a better price than anyone.

So. Good news and bad news. Bad news is that you need to buy the LHD pipes, which are not available from Amayama IIRC (they only sell the RHD). However, good news is US Acura does sell them. However, I got all of my LHD ABS pipes from ATR Parts in Austria, since @austrian type-R had them at a better price than anyone.

Sounds like a plan! Reached out to @austrian type-R via email. Looking forward to the upgrade! Cant handle the clicking sound anymore...
Have a great week,
J

Amayama does sell RHD and LHD (EU Style) https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/honda/nsx

The ALB can be discretely disabled by shorting the wires that go to the pressure sensor. No dash lights, no clicking...

They list the LHD parts, but they are unable to be purchased. I think Honda places a restriction on selling non-JDM market parts outside of Japan.

Back