• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Accelerator Pedal becomes non responsive at 3000 rpm parking/neutral.

Hi, I like to ask NC1 owners regarding NSX NC1.
Last week, I noticed that my car's (2020 NSX NC1) accelerator pedal was non-responsive if I keep the engine around 3000 rpm (parked/ neutral) for a few seconds. it is like I got into some kind of mode, In that situation, If I release the pedal a bit from 3000 rpm it does not decrease the rpm, even if I floor the accelerator pedal, the rpm is still stuck at 3000. The only way to get out of that situation is to release the accelerator pedal all the way ( foot off the accelerator pedal).
My question is: Is that normal? Is that some kind of mode NSX has that I did not know? Or is something wrong with the car?
The car drives smoothly, can go fast, and can increase engine rpm up (all the way near the redline) if I keep stepping on the accelerator pedal in linear motion without staying at 3000 rpm for a few seconds.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest what you are experiencing is normal. with many cars you can place the trans in neutral and floor the engine. Our cars seem to march to a different drummer. If I place the car in neutral and floor it and the engine is somewhat slow to rev.

I can be driving on my favorite road, floor the accelerator and get an instant downshift followed by the car hauling ass. If I pull my foot from the accelerator quickly, the engine rpm’s remain almost stuck at the high level. The car is anticipating that you want to continue forging ahead and is prepared to support your efforts. I have heard some say that on the track the car will shift in auto mode as well as you can do so manually based upon your braking, turning and accelerating on the straights.

I know that the Corvette allows you to press both paddle shifters simultaneously placing the car into neutral so that you can rev the engine.

Not sure about this but I believe that it tops out at 3000 rpm by design when in N or P in order to facilitate warming up the engine. That way you don't have to modulate the accelerator to hit that. Also capped out when flooring in "launch mode". Will try it on my NSX tomorrow.

Not sure about this but I believe that it tops out at 3000 rpm by design when in N or P in order to facilitate warming up the engine. That way you don't have to modulate the accelerator to hit that. Also capped out when flooring in "launch mode". Will try it on my NSX tomorrow.
An easy way to duplicate that is to put the Transmission in P (parking) and steadily raised the engine rpm, try to hold the gas pedal at 3000 rpm for a few seconds, and then you will see you can not increase/decrease the rpm anymore unless you let your foot off the gas.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest what you are experiencing is normal. with many cars you can place the trans in neutral and floor the engine. Our cars seem to march to a different drummer. If I place the car in neutral and floor it and the engine is somewhat slow to rev.

I can be driving on my favorite road, floor the accelerator and get an instant downshift followed by the car hauling ass. If I pull my foot from the accelerator quickly, the engine rpm’s remain almost stuck at the high level. The car is anticipating that you want to continue forging ahead and is prepared to support your efforts. I have heard some say that on the track the car will shift in auto mode as well as you can do so manually based upon your braking, turning and accelerating on the straights.

I know that the Corvette allows you to press both paddle shifters simultaneously placing the car into neutral so that you can rev the engine.
Hi drmanny3,
Thanks for the reply. I just want to clear some conditions of the symptom.
I was not driving the car. I was testing at the parked position.
In your second paragraph, Car was moving and the transmission was engaged in gear. In that case, even if you let your foot off the gas, the engine will still rev high because the engine and wheels are engaged with one of the 9 gears at that moment.

Back