• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura ZDX???

I did not really understand why anyone would want a BMW X6.... and now Acura follows the similar direction, too?

This car answers a question that no one had asked... Is there really a demand for cars like this? Why would you get this car over an MDX or go for the RDX?

Not sure if I agree with Acura's press release, "it will bring a new level of prestige to the Acura lineup". Perhaps, I am completely missing something here...

2010_zdx_2_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/20/officially-official-acura-releases-2010-zdx-crossover/

-----
PRESS RELEASE

All-New 2010 Acura ZDX Four-Door Sports Coupe Will Feature Dramatic Styling, Outstanding Performance and Advanced Technology

All-new Acura model on-sale this winter

The all-new provocative 2010 ZDX four-door sports coupe will arrive at Acura dealerships with dramatic styling, outstanding performance and the latest in advanced technology. The segment bending ZDX features stunning coupe-like styling with the added benefit of a commanding presence and flexible utility. Staying true to the prototype model that debuted at the 2009 New York Auto Show in April, the production ZDX will feature the key design highlights of a panoramic glass roof, hidden rear door handles and bold fender flares.

Along with head-turning styling, the ZDX will boast outstanding performance from its 3.7-liter V-6 engine mated to an all-new 6-speed automatic transmission. The 3.7-liter SOHC V-6 all-aluminum engine will generate 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque for immediate acceleration response, outstanding low- and mid-range torque and superior high-rpm power. The 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters gives the ZDX excellent acceleration while also enhancing fuel economy. Standard on the ZDX is Acura's exclusive Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system. The SH-AWD® system expands the ZDX's appeal by providing outstanding handling as well as superior all-season capability. Standard on the ZDX are 19-inch, 7-spoke alloy wheels; the largest standard wheel in the Acura lineup.

Inside, the ZDX exhibits the highest levels of refinement and sophistication. Every ZDX interior will feature a hand-stitched leather dash, panels and sculpted center console. The rich leather appointments give the ZDX a warm and inviting feeling while creating an intimate cockpit for the driver and passenger.

The ZDX's flexible utility enables customers to have great utility coupled with sleek styling. The ZDX can seat up to five adults while maintaining a generous amount of cargo space behind the second row of seats. The cargo area can also be expanded to accommodate longer objects, such as golf bags, by removing side panels in the cargo-compartment sidewalls. As an added bonus, there is an integrated under-floor storage area.

When the ZDX goes on sale this winter, customers will have the choice of three distinct trim levels: ZDX, ZDX with Technology Package and the ultra premium, ZDX with Advance Package. Like all Acura models, the ZDX will come generously equipped from the start. The panoramic glass roof with moveable sunshades, hand-stitched leather interior, HandsFreeLink™ Bluetooth® connectivity, power tailgate, and a high powered audio system with CD player, AM/FM/XM radio and USB audio interface with iPod® integration are all standard features.

The ZDX with Technology Package adds several features including a Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, an Acura/ELS Surround® premium audio system and a new multi-view rear camera. The Advance Package boasts additional customer enhancing technologies like a blind spot information system, a Collision Mitigating Braking System™ (CMBS™), and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).

When the ZDX goes on-sale, it will bring a new level of prestige to the Acura lineup. The ZDX will be priced and positioned between the MDX luxury SUV and the RL luxury sedan. Pricing and additional details will be released at a later date.

Agree 100% with your assessment. To me, the BMW X6 always screams "I have some money and I don't know anything about cars". I can't figure out what their purpose is, never mind how they justify the price against the other options that are out there. This ZDX seems to be following down the same path. Fortunately it has the smiley grille, so I think we can consider this vehicle a strong and important contribution to building the Acura brand!

Agree 100% with your assessment. To me, the BMW X6 always screams "I have some money and I don't know anything about cars".

+1 The two owners I know fit this to a tee.

Luxury makers are finding their new cash cow, per se, in these higher margin vehicles.

to me it looks like a 2006+ euro civic that ate too much :)

Last edited:
They should just fire everyone at Acura and start over. Their entire line looks like crap. It is a sad day when every previous model they had looks better than the one that replaced it.

1. Acura needs to fix the front end on all their new cars. It looks like crap.
2. They need to scrap this new thing and try again.

I loved the concept when I saw it in pictures, but the official press release has me serching the picture for changes that I should circle like the childs game "Spot the Changes". I can't place my finger on it (other than the headlights are now ultra bland) but the press release looks horrible! As often is the case, I fall in love with concept cars only to be completely let down by the production version. Look at what happened to Ian Callum's georgous Jag before Ford "toned it down". Damn it, why do cars consistantly have to be "toned down for the public"? :confused:

Spot the Changes!
phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

The BMW X6 and cars following that line are a total combination of sports car, performance, SUV clearance, SUV like storage & cargo. I feel there is a huge market for these vehicles.

It's like BMW designers said; we want something that doesn't handle like the current SUV's, fast and powerful, and can still handle off road terrain. It feeds every market at the same time.

I love these fastback styled SUV's. It looks like BMW took one of their sketches and went straight into production. Looks very aggressive.

Don't judge it till you see it on the road!

Last edited:
Once the "styling updates" are made to the MDX and RDX Acura will not have a car in their entire lineup that I find visually appealing. Not one.

My wife and I have owned 7 Acura vehicles since 1990 and I honestly don't see us in the market anytime soon for another.

Horrible.

The BMW X6 and cars following that line are a total combination of sports car, performance, SUV clearance, SUV like storage & cargo.

How is an X6 anything remotely even potentially possibly slightly approaching a sports car?

:confused:

The BMW X6 and cars following that line are a total combination of sports car, performance, SUV clearance, SUV like storage & cargo. I feel there is a huge market for these vehicles.

It's like BMW designers said; we want something that doesn't handle like the current SUV's, fast and powerful, and can still handle off road terrain. It feeds every market at the same time.

I love these fastback styled SUV's. It looks like BMW took one of their sketches and went straight into production. Looks very aggressive.

Don't judge it till you see it on the road!

Valid points.

However, my logic is that those who can afford cars at this price range probably own multiple dedicated cars including SUVs, sedans and sports cars.

When I test drove the X6, it definitely felt sportier than other SUVs. However, it was nothing close to pure sports cars or sports sedans in terms of driving dynamics. In addition, the rear passenger space felt small and the trunk area was almost neglible because of the roofline.

My big question is whether consumers, shopping for cars in this price range, would go for something that is a jack of many trades, but a master of few (if none).

My instinct tells me that this kind of concept would probably work better for those consumers that are looking for cars in the $20k-$30K bracket, but not for those in the $50k-$70k bracket.

The storage and cargo part is just not true. These vehicles have limited head room in the back, virtually no behind-seat storage (in the trunk area), and really don't offer the same kind of storage capability of a typical sedan, much less an SUV.

An X6 handles well, from all indications, but it's never going to feel like a car that's 500 lbs lighter, 8 inches lower, and has a CG that's 10 or 12 inches lower.

What you have is a tall, fast wannabe that doesn't do much except potentially look stylish in all weather conditions while providing a relatively quick and relaxed way to get from Starbucks to Harrods.

How is an X6 anything remotely even potentially possibly slightly approaching a sports car?

Well a TT 400hp V8 and a 6-speed with paddle shifters sounds fun to me. :redface: It's more about the evolution from current SUV standards, ie: why can't an SUV drive more like a sports car?

"...with its sharper than SUV responses yet SUV stature, the X6 makes for an even more confidence inspiring on-board feel than any SUV."

Valid points.

However, my logic is that those who can afford cars at this price range probably own multiple dedicated cars including SUVs, sedans and sports cars.

When I test drove the X6, it definitely felt sportier than other SUVs. However, it was nothing close to pure sports cars or sports sedans in terms of driving dynamics. In addition, the rear passenger space felt small and the trunk area was almost neglible because of the roofline.

My big question is whether consumers, shopping for cars in this price range, would go for something that is a jack of many trades, but a master of few (if none).

My instinct tells me that this kind of concept would probably work better for those consumers that are looking for cars in the $20k-$30K bracket, but not for those in the $50k-$70k bracket.

Strutting around in an X6 is to make clear that you value highly the spacious front seat accommodation and commanding driving position of an SUV over, say, the 6 Series coupe. It says that you enjoy SUV qualities but don't need the space or want the practical image - that you don't want the ‘utility' in ‘sports utility'. It also says that you have the money to exercise these subtle preferences of yours and spend roughly $20k more than a 3 Series that does the same job (presuming you drive on the road, not off it).

Last edited:
You're right, it is the answer to the question that nobody asked. However it will still sell. They are only planning on about 30k of these per year. I've already has people express serious interest in it.

I used to have the dimemsions, but can't find them right now. Basically, it's as tall as the RDX and as long as the MDX. (Actually a little bit longer than the MDX if I remember right) It will fit in somewhere between the SH-AWD TL and the MDX. Most of the interest I'm getting right now is from business people who take clients out. They don't want an MDX because that's what their wife drives and the TL is still a little too tight in the back seat for their guests.

Personally I wish they would have just canned the RL 2 years ago and completely redesigned it into a true LS, S Class, etc... fighter instead of focusing their efforts on this. We need a real flagship car.

I actually don't think it's that bad. Change up the wheels and it's a looker. Hope the engine is powerful enough.

3742879141_5de3bb61fa_o.jpg

Who changed the picture? It's lowered and someone put a regular door handle on the back door.

They added a door handle, color matched the top of the front grill, lowered it, added bigger wheels, and changed the overall color as well (it's darker).

It actually looks pretty good that way, to me. It's still useless, though. :D

Back