• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adding factory keyless entry to 96- successfully

I'm in the process of doing some updates to my flawless 96 NSX, and wanting to keep it all stock. It lacked keyless entry, so like many before me I searched in vain for the factory kit to add it, which is long discontinued and stocks exhausted.

I've learned quite a lot in this process, much from NSX Prime members and eventually I found suitable parts through a member.

To save others the long search, I'm posting what I've learned.

1. Most any after-market system has the risk of interfering with your factory security system, and your needing to disable it- while an Acura system will generally cause no problems.

2. The optional kit that was used by Acura dealers to add keyless entry to the NSX (and is listed as only for the NSX) is unavailable anywhere. ( I queried dealers overseas as well a a wide search in the US). However, it is not the only Acura system that is NSX compatible, at least with my 1996.

3. These systems use a rectangular two button remote. One button is labeled "Arm/Disarm", and this unlocks or locks each time it's pressed. The second button is marked ext/panic. THESE REMOTES CANNOT BE FIELD PROGRAMMED AS YOU WOULD DO WITH MOST CARS! They are frequency matched at the factory- so buying a spare remote off ebay is useless. On the back of each remote and on the back of the control module is a number in addition to the part number. This is a frequency code, and they must match to work. I did find one site that said you can get another remote, which must be ordered from a special service of Kenwood Electronics and is only available through an Acura dealer. You must provide the frequency code to do this, either from the control module or a working remote. No mention of the price, but I assume it would be stiff.

4. Some of the Legend controllers do work! The parts needed are the control module with antenna, the cable which joins the module with the car's wiring harness and the remotes. If you have those, it's a plug-n-play that will take about 15 minutes to install, and your original security system will think it was always there. Here's the parts I used:

Control module- 08E65-SL0-2000-F1
Cable- 08E61-SL0-2000-02
Remotes- 08E61-SL0-2000-01 (that is the remote part number, not the FCC ID or frequency codes which are also on the fob)

All numbers are taken directly from the parts I used. I've found the same and similar control modules on Ebay for $30-40, but none had the remotes or cable with them, and no cables were listed separately. There is at least one Prime member who has offered to make up the cables at $100 so that can be done. I think a number of Acura control modules would work, but obviously the major barrier is getting matching remote fobs.

The control module mounts behind the glove box, near another module. If your car does not have remote fobs and you want to check for a previous installed system, remove the glove box and look for two control modules. The one with an antenna wire about 8" long is the keyless controller. Note this is not the same a lock controller, which operates locks based on door switches.

Other little mods to this car will be shown later with pics. They include a custom double-din console with cup holder and a modification that adds ipod and USB inputs on a panel inside the ashtray. It has a reverse camera displaying in the Alpine nav/stereo, but I added a forward camera too. This is to allow you to see just how close you are coming to a parking block or anything that might drag on the air dam. This camera is turned on my depressing a small momentary switch on the console which redirects power and camera display information through relays and displays the front view for as long as you hold the button down. Used only for a few seconds in the parking or entering a drive that may create a problem, but good for saving that $150 skirt.

These are Awesome cars- and I think the re-introduction of the 2016 will raise awareness and interest in the original models too- and that will increase the value of your NSX!

Thanks for this. It looks like my 95 has an aftermarket Clifford alarm but no remotes, so I'm trying to decide if I can buy remotes for the aftermarket system or see if the factory system is installed. I guess it's time to take apart the glove box and see what my options are.

I was able to add an OEM to my 1996 NSX today as well. However I did not have a wiring harness so I DIY'd it from a diagram by UnHuZ:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Circuit.jpg

You can reprogram the control module by opening it and flipping the switch inside to Learn.

1. Flip the internal switch to "Learn" (you have to unscrew the housing first)
2. Turn the ignition to on (you don't have to start the engine)
3. Push the unlock button (I held it down for 10 seconds and also pushed about 10 time in rapid order) Not certain if there is a combination
4. Turn off the ignition and test the FOB transmitter. (it worked immediately for me)
5. Flip the Learn switch off
6. Put the housing back together and mount

The FOBs can be reprogrammed as well. If you have one sync'd to the control unit you can get another one and retool it. You have to open it and physically punch or reconnect the holes on the circuit board. Punching is easy. Reconnecting is a little tricky but not impossible.

There are 16 positions on the circuit board. Each represents a number. There is (usually) a sticker on the circuit board with a number as well. This is the number that the FOB is configured with. You basically need to make both FOB's circuit boards look the same or have the same number of punched out positions. Since you can reprogram the control unit, it's possible to use the FOB that has the simplest configuration and make the second one like it. I have not done this part yet, but Joe Scavone on Facebook has.

The numbers on the circuit board go in this order

1, 2, 3, 4,

5, 6, 7, 8,
13, 14, 15, 16,
9, 10, 11, 12

They are representing the following number pattern:

1, 2, 4, 8,
16, 32, 64, 128,
4096, 8192, 16384, 32768,
256, 512, 1024, 2048

If you add up the numbers that are NOT punched out they will add up to the number that is stuck to the circuit board.
This is the code for the remote. The serial number on the outside has nothing to do with it.

Back