• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adjustable Cam Gears..

I bought Comptech's cam gears because of the locking feature. Since it's such a pain to adjust the gears (see here), I didn't want there to be any chance of the gears slipping out of adjustment after they have been set.

As far as I could tell, Toda's gears allow infinite adjustment, but they don't lock absolutely securely into that position. Comptech's gears don't allow as fine adjustments, but once they have been set, the timing cannot slip out of adjustment. At least that was my reasoning.

I bought Comptech's cam gears because of the locking feature. Since it's such a pain to adjust the gears (see here), I didn't want there to be any chance of the gears slipping out of adjustment after they have been set.

As far as I could tell, Toda's gears allow infinite adjustment, but they don't lock absolutely securely into that position. Comptech's gears don't allow as fine adjustments, but once they have been set, the timing cannot slip out of adjustment. At least that was my reasoning.

I was wondering, did you have the Comptech Cam Gears installed yet?

From the story at the link you posted, installed and degreeing the cam gears is not only a lot of work, but is also a job for a very qualified mechanic.

If you have done them, did you gain anything from it?
Would be very nice to know what the possible gains would be on a NA NSX with high-lift cams like you have.

Last edited:
Rob's page is one of the main reasons as to why I'm adding cam gears to my setup -- What kind of high lift cams are you using? And how is your engine setup?

Also, any other opinions on these two cam gears from any one else?
All the input is most appreciated!!

No, I haven't installed the cam gears yet. I bought them about a year ago when Comptech was going out of business because I wanted to be sure I had a set on hand the next time I change my cam belt. I haven't changed my cam belt yet so the gears are still sitting in my basement. Since CT Engineering is offering them again, it turns out I wouldn't have had to buy them so quickly after all.

Even though I look into the FI forum, my engine is NA. I have a 3.0 with an airbox, air filter, and high-lift camshafts from Comptech. The low speed lobes on the camshafts are stock - Comptech only modified the VTEC lobes. Comptech also ported and polished my cylinder heads and milled them to increase the compression ratio a little. My intake manifold was Extrude-Honed, I have Cantrell headers, an HKS muffler, and Autothority custom-programmed an engine management chip for me.

Since my heads have been milled, the valve timing has to be off, so I hope the adjustable cam gears help me find a few horsepower. Since my engine is not FI, I don't expect it to be very many, however.

There are two cam gears available for our cars... the CT-Engineering and Toda Racing's..

Which one would you go with, and why?

I like the lock on CTs but after looking at a set from Toda I would still buy CT :smile:

The Toda set looked porous maybe sand-cast? not milled.

The Toda gears are factory gears that are drilled and tapped to accept the rotating inner discs. The Comptech / CT-Engineering gears are lighter and the locking feature in my experience is far superior. Toda gears = $1280, CT-E = $1095.00. We've used over 10 sets of these and each set has worked perfectly. Keep in mind that these must be installed by a knowledgeable installer with the proper tools to set the gears properly. Unless you have modified camshafts, these will likely not be of help to you.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Back