• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice for Exhaust

I'm planning on ordering sport cat downpipess, exhaust and JB4 for my NSX. The downpipes and JB4 will be SOS but I'd really like to go for a titanium exhaust (LHT or Boostlogic). My concern is that these exhausts do not have provisions to reattach the factory heat shields. If the downpipes have the heat shields, how critical are the ones for the exhaust?

I would recommend you ask SOS as they have done some extensive work on the car. They are also close to the factory and converse with the engineers. Things are pretty tightly packed back there. I really don't think you want to risk the damage that could result from not having the heat shields. I suppose that you could wrap the exhaust with the special fabric tape that acts like asbestos and insulates the pipes. I recall a lot of people would use the wrap on Headers in place of heat shields. The tape would perhaps allow the transfer of the heat retained, to the muffler which could then become a problem. The heat needs to come out somewhere.

Have you talk to LHT about having them build the provision so you can mount the shield? They build the exhaust, im sure they can incorporate it in.

I REALLY wanted to buy one of their titanium exhausts, but he doesn't want to ship. Insists on getting installed there. I'm a 3 day drive away from him, so...

While I do not have the JB4, I would venture that it will not impact (turn off your check engine light) following your removal of the cats. The SOS Downpipes are really solid and allow more than twice the volume of exhaust to flow. I have not experienced a check engine light yet for what it is worth. Did you have downpipes fabricated without the cats, or did you remove the cats from the OEM downpipes?

While I do not have the JB4, I would venture that it will not impact (turn off your check engine light) following your removal of the cats. The SOS Downpipes are really solid and allow more than twice the volume of exhaust to flow. I have not experienced a check engine light yet for what it is worth. Did you have downpipes fabricated without the cats, or did you remove the cats from the OEM downpipes?
Neither option yet but I was planning on fabricating some, I own a fabrication shop for a living. Good to hear “sport cats” aren’t triggering the light. I did some 200 cell downpipes on a Ferrari 488 before and the CEL came on weeks later. Maybe I’ll just have to throw some 200 cell cats in the nsx downpipes.

Back