• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on buying and the future

First, is the larger engine worth it? This will be a weekend car, and I drove a 94 which was pretty quick.

I was going to by a Ferrari...and might still just to do it once. But drove the NSX and it is pretty amazing. I have a 97 w/5K miles lined up for $60k. I know it's engineered better and is easier to drive...but being a Schumacher fan that Ferrari red gets my blood boiling.

Lastly...what's the latest dope on the replacement model? Specifically...maybe they will make more of them and keep the price the same or less with the V8 power?

What a quandry!

Since you appreciate Formula 1, there is no need to give you any advice on equipment. By reading this board, you will learn that the participants have as much fervor for Honda/NSX as any Ferrari watcher or owner ever had.

I lived with a Ferrari for a while. My standard response to folks who ask for my opinion on sports cars falls to this regarding Ferrari... any vehicle that costs 3K at 15K miles for a "tune-up" is not a "sophisticated" automobile. Yeah, their vehicles make a lot of power, but big deal.

A close friend of mine who grew up in France in a racing family spoke of the front wishbones of the NSX... as artwork.

Enuf said.

Since you appear to have deep financial resources, it would appear that you could get an NSX and experience it for a while. If you don't like it, well...

Anyway, red is just a color... unless it becomes a point of view.

The '97+ has a lot of improvements in addition to the extra 20 hp due to the extra 0.2 l displacement. For example, the six-speed transmission is really sweet. It will also be much faster than any Ferrari you can get for the same money.

Regarding the next generation, it appears to be a couple of years off, and Honda is very good at keeping its secrets to itself. All that has appeared is simply rumor, to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you really want that '97, go for it, and don't worry about what's on the horizon. If you change your mind at that point, you can always just trade in the '97.

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 03 October 2000).]

My 2 cents...

Two weekends ago a good friend of mine from Italy (last name of Ferrari) drove my NSX. As we were going about 100 through the wine country he looked over at me (my eyes were really wide open!) and said this drives better than I thought it would.

Needless to say he hasn't given me anymore grief about the NSX. If the $3K tune up at 15k is not a problem and you want the name go buy the Ferrari. If you want something that starts everytime, doesn't cost a fortune to own and can give Ferrari's a good run for the money in the hills buy the NSX. That's why I have the NSX versus Ferrari. However in all fairness I really do dig that F1 transmission.

Go with a 97 or newer car for sure!!! The transmission alone is worth it IMO. The car has steadily improved with time and the newer cars obviously have this advantage going for them. However, if a coupe is what you desire, you can easily pick up a 94 and mod it out (I don't believe in leaving well enough alone) . This would give you the same or better level of performance as the newer cars, plus add your own personal touch to the mix.

Either way you end up with a great car. One that will never be a Ferrari (very close however IMO), but a car that can be driven across country 5 times with nothing more than a few oil changes!

PS If you feel the need to spend $3k every time your NSX needs a tune-up. Please feel free to make a contribution to the NSXCA. Your money will be better appreciated here!

[This message has been edited by TitaniumVtec (edited 03 October 2000).]

I've been in the same predicament as you, Kevin. I always thought having a Ferrari is the goal of any sports car enthusiast. My true dream car would be the 360 Modena. But I wouldn't stand for Ferrari's reputation for reliability and durability. I wouldn't stand for the car being at the dealer's service department every other week! And the cost for maintenance and repairs. I feel buying an expensive sports car one shouldn't have to worry about the reliability issue, like when I had my '94 NSX. I guess all of us are a little spoiled by the great quality and reliability of the NSX. That's why I've kinda going away from purchasing a Ferrari and thinking about either getting a 2000 or 2001 NSX or wait for the next generation NSX, but I don't think I can wait that long. I'll probably get a new NSX and enjoy it for a few years then get the next generation, if I like it. By then also, Honda would have worked out all the bugs on the new generation. Good luck on your choices!

By then also, Honda would have worked out all the bugs on the new generation.

Actually, Honda seems to do a pretty good job of getting the bugs out before production gets underway. The earliest NSX's were remarkably bug-free. About the only really serious problems in the first year cars are the window regulators (easily prevented with the inexpensive Dali window thingies) and the snap ring transmission problem, which didn't even affect the first few thousand cars built.

Thanks you guys. I got screwed around on the TR deal by a real dirtbag who now has the car up on e-bay. Nothing in his stories added up, so it's just as well.

I wish I had a sense of value for a 97 NSX. Sometimes the "ask" and realized prices are quite different.

I wish I had a sense of value for a 97 NSX.

I think $60K for a '97 with 5K miles sounds like a good deal. Usually for a '97 you're either paying more for that low mileage, or getting much higher mileage for that price.

Does that help?
smile.gif

A friend of mine had his F355 convertible in the shop due to a damage motor because the top got stuck. Not really his fault, but the dealership refused to cover it under warranty and they were total jerks about it. It costed him $7000 + 6 weeks in the shop. I'm treated VERY well whenever I bring my NSX to my dealership or if I have any questions.

Kevin,
A '97 in good condition with only 5,000 miles for $60,000 is really quite a good buy. I've seen several '97 cars sold for that much, or more, with 20,000 or more miles. If you like the color...jump on it...and of course, ENJOY!

Hey Kevin,

You wouldn't happen to be that poor soul that got a reaming in the Ferrari newsgroup eh?

Ferraris are nice, but, damn, what a bunch of snobs.

Cheers!

Michael.

------------------
Michael(Dallas)
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo
JWT intake & ECU
B&B Tri-Flo testpipes & exhaust
350rwhp/390rwtq @ ~13.5psi

That's me. Someone took a swipe then backed off. It's the same in many brand-oriented websites.

While I appreciate history and brand name recognition, as well as sexiness, I don't see a reason not to discuss alternatives. There are people that have had experience with both Ferrari and the NSX.

I just bought a new BMW 330ci on European Delivery, and in fact 30 minutes ago drove in from picking it up at the dealer (Niello BMW in Sacramento...a several hour drive but salesperson Maureen Rielli is a gem)

I would like to get a pure performance car though...and I am on the "list" for an M3. Which will be a bargain at the price. But a two seater beckons. I have not had one for many years.

The 330ci smokes, by the way. It really goes with the new engine. Torque. On the grapevine (a mountain pass) I just tapped the accelerator and it pulls and pulls. I avgd 93 mph.

Originally posted by Kevin Deal:
That's me. Someone took a swipe then backed off. It's the same in many brand-oriented websites.

I don't think that's entirely true. They were just outright mean to you, IMO. If you came onto the Z forum and asked for opinions between the Z and NSX, of course the majority will say the Z is better, but we won't make personal attacks and be outright mean to you. At least, I won't do that.

While I appreciate history and brand name recognition, as well as sexiness, I don't see a reason not to discuss alternatives. There are people that have had experience with both Ferrari and the NSX.

On that note, I always thought the NSX was partly designed in response to the Ferrari 348 and Porsche 911 Carrera. So in that regard, the NSX and TR are in two different ballparks.

I would like to get a pure performance car though...and I am on the "list" for an M3. Which will be a bargain at the price. But a two seater beckons. I have not had one for many years.

I tell you what. I just bought a house so I need something more practical. When you get your M3, I'll trade you my 2-seater 300ZX twin turbo for it...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Michael.

[This message has been edited by mdoan300 (edited 09 October 2000).]

Back