• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice Please

In california is there any down fall from puting a momo steeing wheel on your car an taking the oem off,meeing the insurance co ......................thanks ..bill

Last edited:
I think it might depend on which insurance you're talking about. Auto insurance should not have a problem with it that I can figure. But health/life insurance might. If you are injured or killed in an accident, I would imagine they might have questions about why the vehicle did not have the factory-installed, federally mandated safety device present.

That said... as you know, I have a MOMO installed.

J

There's only one small issue that I can see. The insurance company might have a problem paying the surgeon for the life long facial scars received during a possible frontal collision. Heck, might as well remove the seat belts too that way a person wouldn't have to deal with a possibility of survival.

I'd stick with the small bit of safety built into these fragile little cars.

What setup are you looking at? I found a good source for NRG parts.

Yes I've been looking at a Momo 350mm wheel and Quick release/short hub setup but really hesitant for safety reasons too. The airbag deployment on the passenger side might also be affected, we never know.

I did this setup on my old s2000 and the horn stopped working. You won't believe how much you need the horn till it breaks! :(
Then after 4 months my airbag light came on mysteriously....not to mention I lost my cruise control buttons on my s2000.

All of this has me thinking twice about doing this mod....

**Side note, does the nsx steering wheel tilt or does it only extend?

rick

90% sure it tilts and extends.

You airbag light came on probably because the resistor/jumper for the airbag you put it came loose.

Not sure about the S2k, but cruise control can be maintained with the NSX.

Passenger airbag deployment should not be affected if the resistor/jumper on the driver bag is done correctly. Then again I don't know for sure and have not read or heard in any instances where it didn't work.

Anyone crash their nsx with dual airbags but had the driver bag removed?

What setup are you looking at? I found a good source for NRG parts.

Hey! I guess i am not going to do it,but i was going with the tuner 320mm and nrg quick release kit 2.5 oh will. i had a head on at 85 in my 2002 bmw.and hit a deer at 80 in my nsx. It's good to hear from you.............................bill

i had a head on at 85 in my 2002 bmw.and hit a deer at 80 in my nsx. It's good to hear from you.............................bill

Bill,
Did both of these events happened recently? Are you OK?

Hey! I guess i am not going to do it,but i was going with the tuner 320mm and nrg quick release kit 2.5 oh will. i had a head on at 85 in my 2002 bmw.and hit a deer at 80 in my nsx. It's good to hear from you.............................bill

Did the airbag(s) deploy during your deer encounter in the NSX?

J

http://www.10news.com/slideshow/news/15904481/detail.html

Hey Bill, just in case you or anyone else were still thinking about taking out that air bag for that slick Momo Steering Wheel, check this out. If you look closely, you can see the whole steering column and airbag lying in the middle of the street. It came from an NSX in San Diego today at 3PM.

Wow, that NSX was torn apart like a coke can. I don't know if the airbag made any difference in this incident. You're right, it's better to have one for safety.

edit: Wow! Can't believe the guy is still alive. I'm glad he made it.

Last edited:
Street racing no one ever wins but OMG that is a crazy crash!

I think it's safe to say god was watching over him since no airbag will save you from that accident!

I like how it says "police searching for a civic with tinted windows and roll bar...that just about covers half the Civics in LA I'm sure with those ricer kids!

I'm keeing my airbag and steering wheel intact btw.

rk

Bill,

I just finished installing the Momo Tuner 320mm. It really made a big difference with my manual steering. Feels great, perfect view of all gauges and no SRS lights on. It reminds me of driving a Go-Kart. No complaints here.

Except for the obvious.... no air bag. Also, taking off the heavy OEM wheel was time consuming.

Moving on to the next project- Keyless entry.

Last edited:
good news gabe, I'll see it at the next meet......bill :biggrin:
Here are some pics.
DSC01448.JPG

This is my actual view of the wheel while driving.
DSC01443.JPG

Note: the horn button "H" is red, it's just my camera/flash.

Back