• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Spring Installation Cost...$1,200???

So I get quote from the local dealership of $1,200 to remove my OEM springs, install a set of H&R's (that I am providing) and an alignment!?!?:eek: That's about $400 to $500 more than I expected- but maybe it's reasonable? Am I being taken for a ride or is that price in line?

OH my God, that's crazy. I would pay about 250-400. $400 is pushing it, okay maybe $500 since its an NSX. When I had a performance shop install springs for the G35, it cost me $150 then alignment is $90.

I thought $150 is decent but still pretty expensive for my taste so when I had to lower the NSX, I asked my friend to help me out and $50 bucks later I'm done. =)

My suggestion, go find some tuner shops and ask around about their work. $1200 is ridiculous man.

niM

Last edited:
Why not find a reputable front end shop to do it. That is not something that has to be performed by a dealer.

Those shocks are gonna turn to soup with the new springs. Why not get some Bilsteins or Koni shocks too? Regardless, that quote is stupid high. I suggest finding a few other owners who turn their own wrench and see if they'll assist for the price of some pizza/BBQ and beer. It's can be fairly tough but not impossible to do. The magic tool is a 2-3 ft long 2x4 piece of wood seriously. Make it a saturday project, a late morning through late afternoon thing. Shouldn't take you more than 4 hours or so and total expenditure of $200 for food/beer and alignment.

Oh and keep your old springs. You may want them later. They're cheap, fairly easy to find, but sometimes never in your area.

Old stock stuff is a pain to get out, anything else is cake to get in/out.

Last edited:
Wow! :eek: That job is way too easy to spend that kind of money. (x2 on the statements above^^^) Do a little research in the DYI section and save yourself the cash for some new shocks or coilovers... :cool:

The installation runs around 3-4 hours to R & R the shock assembly and .5 hour to use a spring compressor to swap the springs. Expect to pay $80-100 for an alignment after. Their quote is exorbitant and borderline shameful. You'd be better taking it to an experienced independent shop. The NSX suspension is quite easy to work on to do a spring install.

Last edited:
Sometimes a dealer (or even an independent mechanic) will give you a quote that's ridiculously high, because they've never actually done the work. Maybe they're anticipating problems, maybe they just don't know how long it will actually take. Either way, that's not a good place to take your car.

I'm not an expert on how long this takes, but I've heard people say four hours for springs and/or shocks, and 1-2 hours for the alignment. Dealer rates these days are typically $100-120 per hour, so you can see that the quote you have is much higher than what it ought to be, based on that.

Where (what city or metropolitan area) are you located? You don't show your location in your profile, so there's no way to tell. If we knew, we could probably recommend a place in your area with NSX experience.

I also agree, somewhat, with Koolaid's point. I don't agree that your stock shocks with "turn to mush", but I think you're better off replacing the shocks rather than the springs. Especially if they've been on your car for a while. The Bilstein shocks are a nice way to go, and if you're thinking of springs because you want to lower your car, the Bilsteins have a lowering perch you can use for that purpose, lowering by 7/8". (You can also use them at the stock ride height.)

So I get quote from the local dealership of $1,200 to remove my OEM springs, install a set of H&R's (that I am providing) and an alignment!?!?:eek: That's about $400 to $500 more than I expected- but maybe it's reasonable? Am I being taken for a ride or is that price in line?

OMG. they only charged me 895 bucks for a timing belt & water pump service. changing spring gonna cost 1200??? i remembered that i spent 70 bucks to get my 3rd brake light's wire up for my previous prelude in a HONDA dealer. after that, i told an independent shop owner what i did. he said that i was the fool who got ripped off. :biggrin:
stay away from dealer

Crown Acura in Richmond just did my shocks last week for $600 labor + ~$150 alignment. Obviously the process is pretty much the exact same to change the shocks or springs.

Give me $600.00 and I'll have it done in 4-5 hours. Removing and installing new shocks/springs. I've removed and installed my set up 2 times on the same car.

Last edited:
Those shocks are gonna turn to soup with the new springs. Why not get some Bilsteins or Koni shocks too? Regardless, that quote is stupid high. I suggest finding a few other owners who turn their own wrench and see if they'll assist for the price of some pizza/BBQ and beer. It's can be fairly tough but not impossible to do. The magic tool is a 2-3 ft long 2x4 piece of wood seriously. Make it a saturday project, a late morning through late afternoon thing. Shouldn't take you more than 4 hours or so and total expenditure of $200 for food/beer and alignment.

Just 2x4 and a little 4" wooden block worked for me. Don't need second helper, except to hand you the beer and some tools.

Well I'm glad to hear I was right to question the quote they gave me. It just didn't seem in line with what I thought I remembered others here say they've paid in the past. I'm in Kansas City and the quote was from Jay Wolf Acura. Thanks Jond for the confirmation, I'm going to keep searching for a tuner shop to install the springs and then take it to the dealership for the alignment. Oh, I'd consider the Bilsteins that you are suggesting Ken but I already bought the springs off another Prime member for a good price so I'd like to make them work if I can.

Last edited:
I'm going to keep searching for a tuner shop to install the springs and then take it to the dealership for the alignment.

Keep in mind your car may not fit on a standard alignment rack after the new springs are installed. You may have to find a shop that has surface-level alignment rack. :smile: With only a 7/8" drop on my car, I couldn't come close to making it on a standard rack... :wink:

so how long did it take you guys on here to install shocks? did you guys use air tools or by hand? Im going to try to install my own this weekend.

350$ :smile:

in think 1200$ included "the 3 hour test drive" and "learning" the nsx :biggrin:

275.00 in atlanta 3 hrs....75 for alignment

so how long did it take you guys on here to install shocks? did you guys use air tools or by hand? Im going to try to install my own this weekend.

The first time I did mine it took two days of painstaking labor (about 3-4 hours each day) and a a friend's helping hands. The second time it took me, alone, about an hour and a half to do all four corners. I was on a pretty steep learning curve.

I never take my car to the Stealership - never!

Im the Sales Manager of an Acura dealership and I send my NSX's to Larry B for service. I just got the Zanardi back as a matter of fact. Like everything, there are some good shops and some not so good shops. Depends on what you need done, we have 2 great NSX techs and service alot of NSX's but I like going to someone who goes the extra mile and knows the car inside and out.

Im the Sales Manager of an Acura dealership and I send my NSX's to Larry B for service. I just got the Zanardi back as a matter of fact. Like everything, there are some good shops and some not so good shops. Depends on what you need done, we have 2 great NSX techs and service alot of NSX's but I like going to someone who goes the extra mile and knows the car inside and out.

Exactly. Find an independent NSX shop or expert to do the work because they will treat your car as their own. We are fortunate to have Shad here in NorCal. BTW- its not the NSX techs I'm concerned about, it's all about customer service and price gouging.

Last edited:

If you have decent mechanical ability this job should take approximately half an hour per corner. Also, I wouldn't advise using air tools, but it does make the job a little faster. If you do use your air tools, remember while putting your components back on, take the time to start everything by hand... :cool:

Exactly. Find an independent NSX shop or expert to do the work because they will treat your car as their own. We are fortunate to have Shad here in NorCal. BTW- its not the NSX techs I'm concerned about, it's all about customer service and price gouging.

Well in KC, that's easier said than done. While there are some nice cars here, it's not exactly the car capital of the world.:frown: There are two Acura dealerships, maybe pricing at the other one will be more in line. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Find an independent NSX shop or expert to do the work because they will treat your car as their own.
Independents are fine for routine work. For more complicated tasks (which doesn't really include the installation of shocks - I'm thinking more of timing belt replacements, etc) you really want someone with a lot of NSX experience. If you live in an area where the guy with the most NSX experience is an independent, great, but that's not true everywhere.

And some dealers offer the best customer service around, too. When my NSX engine was being replaced, the dealership NSX tech doing it (who happens to be the best in the Chicago area) came in on a couple of Saturdays, his day off, not only to get the job done sooner but also because of the pride he takes in his work. Granted, that's not true of all dealers, maybe not even most dealers, but I know of a fair number that offer that same level of service and pride.

Back