• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All-electric NSX???

I found it interesting that the Honda VP that presented during NSXPO 2023 in ATL asked for a show of hands on how many current owners would be interested in an all-electric NSX. The response was definitely a subset of the attendees.

I found it interesting that the Honda VP that presented during NSXPO 2023 in ATL asked for a show of hands on how many current owners would be interested in an all-electric NSX. The response was definitely a subset of the attendees.
What really shocked me was how many NA owners were interested in the EV NSX, while few of the NC owners were. But I was also surprised how many NA owners I ran into that also already had a Tesla Model 3.

Count me in by the way.

I will wait until the EV NSX gets bad press and no love like the NC1 did initially…….and then grab one when the price drops….BUT before it goes back up…..if people buy an BMW I8, why wouldn’t they buy a better Honda product (fanboy feedback 😃)

Last edited:
I read an interesting article about Norway and how they are rethinking pushing so hard for electrification because there is still a vast barrier between the idea of EVs and building actual affordable vehicles.

Why Norway is rethinking its reliance on electric cars - Vox

And this: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/1...ectric-vehicles-ending-collaboration-with-gm/

There is no affordable EV currently that people want to buy, and the market for the 25k EV is a tough one because anyone looking for a 25k car isn't likely to shell out 3k for charging infrastructure or want to take the risk of having their only vehicle be EV.

I've also done some back of the napkin math using CA as an example and it looks like this:

- 18.4M adults live in a single family home
- 2022 census 55% are owner-occupied housing units.
- So 9M roughly have the ability to buy and install a charging unit for their homes.
Cant really find income+housing data together easily.
- Of the 30M cars on the road in Cali, 425K are currently registered EVs. 1.4% (Thanks Wild Turkey)

- But even if all 9M of those single family, owner-occupied houses buy EVs and install chargers in the next 7 years they won't hit their 50% number. And if they can't nobody else will come close.
- New homes in CA require 220v outlets in the garage.
- New homes in CA desert regions require solar also.

We would have to hire and train a TON of electricians in the next 3 years just to come close to the numbers they want to hit. Not saying it's not possible, it's just a very big task that doesn't seem to be anyone's real focus.

Last edited:
Honda's execs have said that they make a NSX when they have something consequential to say. Gen1 was "reliable exotic" (a Ferrari anyone can use everyday) and Gen2 was "exciting hybrid" (they don't have to be boring Priuses). I just feel like a BEV is not a consequential statement, at least anymore. Tesla captured that statement several years ago, so Honda doing it now is kind of "meh."

My money is on fuel cells. A workable H2 system is the kind of thing Honda would want to say through a NSX, since everyone is bagging on the tech in favor of batteries. Obviously there are infrastructure challenges, but it's the same for BEVs.

<rehash>
I want an EV McLaren or Lotus. I want doors that get out of the way in tight parking...gull, scissor, vertical, or butterfly. I don't care, as long as they get out of the way in super tight clearance situations...not whatever Koenigsegg is doing. Cars are getting bigger and parking spots smaller, so traditional pivot doors for me will be a 100% absolute deal breaker.

The NA NSX was a simple car and the NC was not; it seemed to be an exercise in "complicate and add weight". Honda should have built the C8 as simple cheap fun speed.

The packaging is vastly more important than new tech which is generally not as reliable as existing. Heck, the NA NSX got the VTEC as an afterthought....it was all about the packaging and execution.

Is it really too hard to ask for a BEV with the simplicity of a McLaren with the parts bin engineering of a Lotus? I like minimalist interiors, no garnish exterior, with simple voluptuous styling like a 917/918/SP3/Ultima. I suspect the problem is that most people like the opposite.

425,000/30M is 1.4%, not .14%. We seem to have more than that in London, Ontario. I don't have stats for the entire province, but it sure seems higher than that. Definitely a lot in Toronto where they can drive in the HOV lanes.

I think the EV market has reached a stasis in the US...Folks are selling Tesla stock right now hard, because you will have to cut prices further to get the next wave of buying. The Big 3 will need to keep building ICE for a long time to support their EV aspirations and their workforce.

Back