• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Almost New Owner...low mileage car, long drive home. Need advice

Hello all,

I'm about to buy my dream car and it's a relatively low mileage example. (1991 MY with 48K miles). The car has only had about 4000 miles put on it in the last 6 years. It is bone stock with a new battery, age appropriate timing belt and water pump, out of snap ring range, and up to date with services. All service records since new and the car has been well maintained and looked after it's entire life. My main concerns are how little the car has been driven in the last 6 years and the tires are from April of 2015.

For the drive from it's current home of Ft Worth, TX to it's new home in Atlanta, GA would be right about 900 miles in 2 days.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? All shipping company quotes are telling me it could easily be 6-8 weeks before the car can be trucked to ATL. If I can get it home in 2 days without mechanical or tire issues, then that is much more preferable.

Looking forward to becoming an active member of the community and hearing from the brain trust on this issue...Honcho, looking at you man!

You should be able to do this as long as this NSX is mechanically sound…and then change the tires when you get home. 2015 is old, but not ancient. Just don’t do any top speed runs.

I did the same upon purchase of my NSX some years ago, but then mine was freshly serviced including timing belt as part of the purchase cost.

Enjoy the drive and congrats on your new NSX!

My car was similarly kept for the 5-7 years prior to when I bought it. A few hundred miles per year if that, old tires, but other than that very well maintained. I wanted to drive it home from Florida to NY, but ultimately ended up towing it with a UHaul car hauler. One thing I would check is make sure the alternator is working properly. The pervious owner of my car would drive it 10 miles or so every month to keep things moving, but unbeknownst to him, the alternator was completely shot. He never drove long enough to fully drain the battery. Once home he would hook it back up to the battery tender. We unfortunately discovered the bad alternator together when I was down in Florida seeing the car for the first time, but we easily could have missed it if we didn't take it for a longer drive and get stuck roadside. You would obviously not want to discover something like this 20 miles into your maiden voyage.

Another minor/easy thing that could cause a bigger issue: You may want to check that the two clutch pedal bumpers are intact. They get brittle and tend to fall out. One bumper pushes the switch that allows you to use cruise control, the other bumper if broken or missing will cause the car not to start. There are few threads on this topic (https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/dreaded-clutch-switch.202118/), but for peace of mind you could pick up a set very cheaply and just keep them in the glovebox.

Hoping you have a great first ride!

Check the oil and other fluid levels in addition to the tires.
An oils change may be worthwhile before a long road trip.
Dallas summers can be hard on tires as well, check the age of the tires as much as the tread depth.

I have driven my NSX several times on 1500+ mile road trips, but at 30 years old now, would also want to check bearings, CV joints and struts before a long trip now.

Hello all,

I'm about to buy my dream car and it's a relatively low mileage example.
From someone who's approaching the 10 year anniversary of being in your spot, I highly suggest pulling off somewhere safe the moment you're out of eyesight of the seller (which to me was the first moment I felt like the car was really "mine" finally) and while your heart is still racing, and spend a few moments to take it all in.

Adjust the seat and mirrors to how you feel comfortable, in case you forgot to do so moments prior (or if the seller had convinced you to adjust a few things the way he suggested is best).

I recommend: keep a grip of the wheel with both hands, take a few deep breaths, feel how good the seats hold you in place for the next 2 days ahead, and take a sweeping look around the cockpit, at the spoiler in the rear view mirror, and then the view over the hood ahead.

Oh, and no radio for the first 15-20 minutes. You'll never forget that first half hour. I still remember taking the time to do that and I remember some of the sounds and sensations. I can almost guarantee you'll crack a smile like Burt did in Smokey and the Bandit. I know I did. :D

Safe travels and consider posting photos to this thread along the ride home!

Oh and take notice of how all the cars next to you in intersections are 2-3x as tall as your car. You can see them but not as many will notice you as easily, so drive defensively!

Hello all,

I'm about to buy my dream car and it's a relatively low mileage example. (1991 MY with 48K miles). The car has only had about 4000 miles put on it in the last 6 years. It is bone stock with a new battery, age appropriate timing belt and water pump, out of snap ring range, and up to date with services. All service records since new and the car has been well maintained and looked after it's entire life. My main concerns are how little the car has been driven in the last 6 years and the tires are from April of 2015.

For the drive from it's current home of Ft Worth, TX to it's new home in Atlanta, GA would be right about 900 miles in 2 days.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? All shipping company quotes are telling me it could easily be 6-8 weeks before the car can be trucked to ATL. If I can get it home in 2 days without mechanical or tire issues, then that is much more preferable.

Looking forward to becoming an active member of the community and hearing from the brain trust on this issue...Honcho, looking at you man!
LOL I have been summoned. :)

I think you'll be fine. Most of the issues that will crop up on a long, sustained rpm drive like this will be things like fluid leaks from dried out rubber seals like the valve covers and CV joints. But, none of those will prevent you from driving.

The two key things I would check are the coolant hoses and the tires. Failures on either one will leave you on the side of the road. If the tires are old, low tread or iffy-looking, I'd replace them before leaving. With the hoses, inspect them and look for bulging. The rubber should feel firm and rebound stiffly. Squeeze them and if you feel/hear cracking or they feel really flimsy, it might be worth shipping the car. If the hoses feel and look ok, I think the car will make the trip no problem. One of the best things you could do for it is drive it 900 miles, actually. Long highway cruises are really good for the powertrain because it circulates hot oil through everything, which cleans and lubricates all the mechanical parts. I recommend all NSX owners do at least 1 hour of highway driving per month to ensure this.

**EDIT** Just saw the tires are from 2015- that's old but not dangerous. Just make sure they are properly inflated and you should be ok. I also like the advice from other posters on checking the clutch and brake pedal stoppers. They are cheap- maybe buy a couple at your local Acura dealer and take them with you to Texas just in case they decide to crumble in the middle of your trip. :) A lot of guys do long trips with a spare main relay too.

Last edited:
Have fun with your new toy.....as everyone else has said just check the safety issues, tire tread wear and pressures and oil level.I'm a goof about things so I would even retorque the wheels to 80 ft/lbs..

Wow I am truly humbled by the support and enthusiasm for yet another new owner thread. Thank you all for such a warm welcome. The camaraderie on this forum is second to none!

So based on all the advice, this sounds like this will be a go/no go decision on the day of which I am fine with. I was able to find a shipping company that appears to have lead times of 2 weeks max if I see suspect components or conditions that would prevent the car from making the trip without issue.

I genuinely appreciate all the advice and will sit down later to make a list of things to check. This foum has made this entire process so far so much less intimidating.

The nsx is so well made for the time that it suffers very specific limited failures of age.You'd be surprised what condition cars folks drove many miles to nsxpo's over the years some on near bald tires and they still got home..

The nsx is so well made for the time that it suffers very specific limited failures of age.You'd be surprised what condition cars folks drove many miles to nsxpo's over the years some on near bald tires and they still got home..

Agree. 99% the car gets you to Atlanta as-is. It's a Honda. :)

12`
From someone who's approaching the 10 year anniversary of being in your spot, I highly suggest pulling off somewhere safe the moment you're out of eyesight of the seller (which to me was the first moment I felt like the car was really "mine" finally) and while your heart is still racing, and spend a few moments to take it all in.

Adjust the seat and mirrors to how you feel comfortable, in case you forgot to do so moments prior (or if the seller had convinced you to adjust a few things the way he suggested is best).

I recommend: keep a grip of the wheel with both hands, take a few deep breaths, feel how good the seats hold you in place for the next 2 days ahead, and take a sweeping look around the cockpit, at the spoiler in the rear view mirror, and then the view over the hood ahead.

Oh, and no radio for the first 15-20 minutes. You'll never forget that first half hour. I still remember taking the time to do that and I remember some of the sounds and sensations. I can almost guarantee you'll crack a smile like Burt did in Smokey and the Bandit. I know I did. :D

Safe travels and consider posting photos to this thread along the ride home!

Oh and take notice of how all the cars next to you in intersections are 2-3x as tall as your car. You can see them but not as many will notice you as easily, so drive defensively!
I love this...I will definitely make sure to mentally photograph that moment wherever it happens, because that will be a moment decades in the making.

now you need a username change to the flying scalpel..;)

I drove a 175k moderately maintained '92 from Sacramento to Wisconsin and had a blast with no issues.

My only issue that's left me stranded was a tire failure on a later drive due to high temps and a long stretch on the highway. Since you're going through an area which might have some heat I would suggest a tire change before you hit the road. While you can check depth, it's not always easy to determine the life of the tire outside of that, and you're right on the bubble of an ok or not ok tire. Day of inspection should help, but having a tire change set up for day of pickup removes a possible issue on the way home.

Alternator check would be good as noted above, so have a multi-meter in hand to verify DC voltage to the battery with the car running at idle.

Downloading and having the shop manual on hand just in case is another good pre-trip idea.

Good luck!!

Given that the vehicle appears to have been well maintained and likely has not been beaten up by a previous owner you are probably going to be just fine. If you haven't driven the car, I suggest that you scope out the Acura dealer in Ft Worth. After you take possession of the car drive around Ft Worth in close proximity to the dealer for 100 or so miles listening for things. If something goes bad you may be able to make it to the dealership to have it addressed. Similarly, know where the Acura dealerships are on the route home in case something happens.

Having a service manual along for the ride is excellent advice. I prefer paper; but, .pdf on a lap top will work. Take a minimalist tool kit with you - screwdrivers, some box and open end wrenches, pliers - slip joint and needle with wire cutter, length of wire, electrical and duct tape. Balance of probability says you will not need any of this. Just makes you feel better.

If there is no service record of the main EFI relay being replaced, planning for its replacement would be an excellent idea. Rockauto used to sell them for a nice price. You can carry it with you as a spare; but, you will need that tool kit if it fails en route and the service manual that tells you where it is hidden. The clutch interlock switch 'button' failure is a reality. Having a couple of spares might be useful; but, the reality is that if the button drops out while are filling up with gas you are not going to be replacing it in the parking lot. The length of wire and knowing where the jump start terminal and the starter solenoid terminal are will get you around the button dropping out.

Does the car still have its original collapsible spare and the air compressor? Might want to think hard about whether that spare still holds air. Having one of those tire plug kits and confirming that the compressor still works might be a better choice and save you the hassle of a tow job if you pick up a nail on the road home or when you are just out driving around 3 years from now.

Driving at speed that distance, might be well advised to put some temporary protection on the front end of the car. I am somewhat OCD and the idea of rock chips is appalling to me. I once took a Porsche from Chicago to West Virginia at speed and was amazing at the damage to my front hood. Depends on your sensitivity on that matter.

Driving at speed that distance, might be well advised to put some temporary protection on the front end of the car. I am somewhat OCD and the idea of rock chips is appalling to me. I once took a Porsche from Chicago to West Virginia at speed and was amazing at the damage to my front hood. Depends on your sensitivity on that matter.
I covered the nose of my '93 with simple plastic and blue painter's tape for the 6 hour ride from Long Island to Pittsburgh in 2013. It wasn't pretty but I wasn't the one looking at it from the outside. Besides doing a great job protecting the front (cheaply), it did the Clark Kent / Superman trick of letting me go rather anonymous and attract little attention on the way home (I assume everyone thought I had just another Corvette) because the first week I took the plastic off and drove around au natural, I was amazed at the attention it got (and still gets).

So based on everyone's feedback, this should be fine with a few deal breaking exceptions. I don't get a ton of PTO so here's what I'm thinking.

Wednesday is the big day. I'm flying to Houston, so bringing tools would be sketchy at best regarding TSA. I've been forced to throw out coffee in line in the past so...

I've found a shipping company with much more satisfactory shipping schedules. I'll spend the summer getting the car used to being driven regularly again with a fresh set of tires and address any mechanical issues that may arise due to age or whatever.

THEN, later this year (maybe fall) once it's all mechanically sorted and the car and I have had a chance to get used to each other, take a long weekend and drive the Cherohala Skyway. Sounds like a good compromise right?

Anyone wanna tag along?

I hear you. I believe if the car is too perfect, I won't want to drive it. But there's many other scenarios I'd be much less irritated if it got some "memorable scars". I also am open to the idea of a painter's tape wrap.

Last Fall I drove an 83K-mile '91 from the Twin Cities to NC (1,200 miles) and made it fine. Things that were less than ideal:

-The speedometer is inaccurate and needs a rebuild (leaking capacitors). I wondered why I was overtaking people at such a large delta despite an indicated +9 mph over LOL!
-I hit a re-tread at 1 AM outside of Chicago. It did surprisingly little damage but bummed me out for a night of bad sleep until I repaired it about as good as new in the morning.
-While overtaking a dump truck it threw a rock that chipped my windshield mildly.
-The ABS system was acting up and I didn't always have a very firm pedal (this was mildly stupid).

Would I do it again? Yes. Could any of the damage happen on any drive close to my house? Yes, although I don't tend to drive the NSX at night or when tired. So, the retread is less likely to have happened to me. Did I buy a "driver's car" on purpose so that I enjoyed the experience? YES!! Good luck!

Lol along those stories of nsx Lore

At a previous xpo at VIR I fried my clutch on the skidpad and during the hpde it quit so I was able to and coast into the pits..I was able to have a guy rape my wallet and trailer it home, I was left with trying to get back to Pa. Just so happened Another of our NE crew bought a kinda ratty, sight unseen 91-93 coupe.....voila I drove it home..shanky in some ways but it worked just fine..

take a long weekend and drive the Cherohala Skyway. Sounds like a good compromise right?

Anyone wanna tag along?

If you know the area and set something up around NSXPO week I would love to do it. My car isn't track worth yet and so for the track portion of the xpo setting something up for a run up there would be great. I've done it on my Africa Twin, but not in a car, probably one of my favorite roads in the US.

I just bought a 92’ that had only been driven 300 miles in about 7 years, south of Tampa Florida, drove it all the way home back to KC Missouri, didn’t miss a beat! Hope you got yours home alright.✌️
Congrats on the purchase! I hope you've been loving yours as much as I've loved getting to know mine over the last few months. Long story short, I was able to buy mine in Dallas on a Wednesday and have it in Atlanta on Sunday afternoon. I decided to ship it mainly due to my concern of the aging tires, my inability to get through TSA with even basic tools, and lack of PTO if anything happened on the drive home.

So far the NSX ownership experience has been a total dream come true. It needed some deferred maintenance work and I have addressed it all through a local NSX guru (shout out Eiffel). The BrianK updates will be completed shortly and then I can and will put the next chapter of this car's life through it's paces. It's been a total dream to drive and everything I hoped it would be when I promised my 11 year old self when I first saw one, that some day, I would own an NSX.

For a relatively new owner...my god what a car. I still go out to garage at least every other night to either stare at it or sit in it on nights when can't drive it for whatever reason.

Back