• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternator replacement cost

What did you pay to have your alternator replaced at the dealer?...Mine is starting to whine a little. Called the dealer and got a quote of $1100 parts/labor!!..This definitely looks like an easy do it yourself job.

Does whining mean that it needs replacement?

Do you have the tools and the expertise to replace it yourself? For example, do you know exactly how tight the belts ought to be?

If you feel comfortable doing it, then go for it! Of course, you will be required to "self-warranty" your own work in the event of any problems...
wink.gif

The alternator lists for $895 and the book says it can be replaced in 1.1 hours. You can definitely save on the parts by getting them mail-order (heck, you could even join the NSX Club to get the member discount on parts at Niello Acura, and the savings will more than pay for the membership). OTOH it may be worthwhile being friendly with the folks in your dealer's parts department and seeing whether they might be willing to take something off the price, particularly if you tell them how much you can get one for from A&H or Niello.

I've heard good things about your local dealer's NSX service (Leith).

All points worth considering...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 February 2002).]

Originally posted by ilya:
There is also one on ebay from time to time. You could spend a few hundred instead of 1K.

Doesnt the CT supercharger kit come with a different alternator?

Perhaps you can get a hold of the "original" alternator from someone whose installed the kit?

Originally posted by JoeSchmoe:
Doesnt the CT supercharger kit come with a different alternator?

Perhaps you can get a hold of the "original" alternator from someone whose installed the kit?

That's exactly the source of the one's on ebay. Same guy sells the intake manifolds as well. Better grab one quick, CT won't be selling many SC once the BBSC hits the market!

Does an alternator have a finite lifespan like other parts, or do they usually last the life of the car?

I ask this because I don't see it being replaced on a schedule the way a timing belt or a water pump is...

Yes an alternator does have a finite life, like any other part. The reason there is no service for the alternator is you can usually watch the ammeter on the dash board to see if it is not working, and if it does go out it won't damage the motor, like in the case of the timing belt which has no indicator of the condition of the rubber etc. and if the water pumps go out, well Ken you know what will happen then. And when the alternator goes out you will still be able to drive the car, depending on the condition of the battery that is.

------------------

Yeah, I don't think it needs replacement yet..Everything seems to be working fine from an electrical/gauge standpoint. I'm pretty good mechanically and I have the shop manuals to do the job...Wrenchhead lists the same part for about $300....As far as my local dealer (Leith), they are excellent and I have had all my major service done there...If I do end up needed an alternator, I may just do this one myself...Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by DaveJP:
Yeah, I don't think it needs replacement yet..Everything seems to be working fine from an electrical/gauge standpoint. I'm pretty good mechanically and I have the shop manuals to do the job...Wrenchhead lists the same part for about $300....As far as my local dealer (Leith), they are excellent and I have had all my major service done there...If I do end up needed an alternator, I may just do this one myself...Thanks for the replies.

The only difficult thing about removing replacing the alternator is tensioning the belt. The trick is not to get it too tight. Too loose and it will squeal, but too tight and it is bad on the alternator bearings.

Buy a used one and DIY in less than an hour for 1/4 the cost.

The only thing you even have to halfway engage your brain for is to make sure you tension the belt correctly, but it's not exactly rocket science. The spec for a NEW belt is deflection of 7mm - 9mm at a force of 89N using a belt tension gauge in the middle of the section of the belt loop towards the front of the car.

Once it has run for a while check the tension again. Tension should be 12mm - 14mm once it the belt has broken in. In other words it will loosen up a bit as you run it.

If you believe your belt is currently adjusted correctly, you can just get a feel for how hard it is to twist the belt 90 degrees and make the new one a little tighter, then check it again in a little while. Like I said it's not rocket science.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 February 2002).]

$895 for an alternator??? wow is it made of titanium?? I assume at that price the alternator is specific to an NSX (that's curious, why not use a standard honda altenator?

As far as failure modes, most often is bearings (quite probably the whine you here), second most common is brushes. Diodes fail much less often. On Many American cars the alternator can be rebuilt.

Wow, I have a new respect for my altenator now that I know what it costs, I think I will go shine it up now!! I could always use it to pay the mortgage if times get tough!
hg,

I assume that if you get a used alternator, its expected lifespan is reduced by however long it was used. One more thing to consider.

And another sentence fragment. And another. And another...
wink.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Does an alternator have a finite lifespan like other parts, or do they usually last the life of the car?

I ask this because I don't see it being replaced on a schedule the way a timing belt or a water pump is...

Speaking with Shad at Comptech, he said he has never replaced an alternator other than for the SC mod. Sounds like they should last a long time.

Just curious guys how can you tell if your Alternator starts going? Do you get a check Engine light or Battery light.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Please do not take this as gospel because I cannot verify the accuracy of this information but I was told by a reasonably reliable source that the alternator for the NSX is the same as the Prelude. The only difference is the NSX alternator has a small bolt hole built in to mount the black "belt cover". If you don't mind elimiating that cover you may be able to save several hundred dollars.

Again, this is second hand info. and may not be accurate.

Back