• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Am I in a world of trouble ?

Would you buy it ?

• No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
>Actually, right now it's more likely that I won't buy the car, but there are still some factors we're checking to bring the final conclusion.

I'm unclear on why you are not just considering a flip?

Should be a solid $5k in net profit, likely +$10K.

I agree you are in well over your head on bringing the car into service. But the barriers are low for a flip...

Because additional 5k or even 10k won't allow me to buy a good used one, or another one (at least here) at all. Which was my primary wish, to own one, not to profit off one.

There is a lot of good advice here, and as a long-time owner who is a retired nuclear engineer who can do just about anything on my NSX, I would be reluctant to buy this car myself. And that is knowing that everything that is needed to be done to get this car back on the road is probably within my capability (minus evacuating the Air Conditioning system) on jack stands in my garage.

And, yes, evacuating the A/C system will need to be done since the refrigerant charge (and this is a US 1991 NSX, so the default is R-12 (freon) for the refrigerant) is something that you need to get right in terms of the proper number of grams of refrigerant that should be in the system. And that is just to start troubleshooting/verifying the system is operational.

Since you can do basics like oil changes and spark plugs, but not much beyond, labor costs are a big issue. I would budget 100 Euros/hour (and that is a pretty good labor rate). Just the Timing Belt/Water Pump (and if the car hasn't really ran in the last 10 years, it's due) will run you between 1000-2000 Euros - depending on what else you do at that time (timing belt, water pump, plugs, valve adjustment, coolant flush and fill, fuel filter, alternator belt, A/C belt, transmission oil change, engine oil change, brake fluid flush, coolant hoses, evacuating and recharging the A/C will also be likely just to start troubleshooting the A/C system) - in labor alone. And then you gotta get the parts. Sadly, some pretty important parts are discontinued from Honda. But as a reference on parts costs, I'm already starting to build up my parts bin for my next Timing Belt/Water Pump service isn't due for another 3-4 years. I just got a new water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner pulley, timing belt tensioner spring, and lower timing belt cover gasket for 635 Euros...and that is EU export (no VAT/other taxes) and before the 4/1 price increase. And that doesn't include parts like the coolant itself (expect to pay 50-100 Euros just for the coolant alone), the oil filter/cooler pedestal gasket, the special bolts for the oil filter/cooler pedestal, special bolts for the water pump, valve cover gaskets (another 210 Euros right now), various o-rings, grommets, crush washers, filters, and oil.

And if you do the coolant hoses (since I'm willing to bet a beer that the hoses are 29-30 years old)...that will run you - depending on where you get the hoses - several hundred euros in parts. And the labor time for the hoses will probably land somewhere in the 10-15 hours range..."book time" in the US is 14.5 hours to do all 22 coolant hoses on a 1991 MT NSX...an experienced NSX mechanic may quote a little less, but still expect 1000 Euros in labor minimum for the coolant hoses

Just to get that car on the road safely, I would budget between 5,000 and 10,000 Euros parts and labor. That's on top of the 30,000 Euros or so that the owner is asking.

There just seems like so much that will need to be done just to get the car to even start to become a car you can just hop in and take for a drive without any concerns for reliability.

Now, if you do decide to pull the trigger and buy this car, we will be here. The community is very helpful when it comes to finding rare/discontinued parts as well as providing maintenance guidance. But I also think you'll find out the saying, "The most expensive NSX I ever bought was a cheap NSX"

Lower windshield molding:
74202-SL0-000
Clips for molding (qty 8 needed)
74207-SL0-000
Right A Pillar Trim:
72420-SL0-003ZC
Left A Pillar Trim:
72460-SL0-003ZC
Window guards (qty 2 needed):
72430-SL0-003
Bolts for window guards (qty 2 needed):
90130-SL0-003
A pillar trim screws (qty 24 needed, 12 per side):
90128-SL0-003

$1700 without shipping just for these little bits...ouch.
:redface:

If it's been sitting for 10 years there is a REASON it's been sitting for 10 years.

Any car that has been sitting for 10 years will have MANY more issues than you predict, and the cost to fix each issue will be MUCH higher than you predict. Your windshield trim quote is literally just a tiny tip of the iceberg.

Sitting for 10 years AND and has been cannibalized for parts during that time? Only if the owner considered the car junk would he allow it to be cannibalized for parts.

I'm solidly in the "Run, Forrest, run!!!" category here.

I am a little amazed that this thread still has legs. Aside from that, the two big $ items in your list are no longer available from Honda so that cuts your costs to less than $100. On the up side, unless the metal on the A pillar trim is damaged, I think SOS sells replacement rubber strips for those pieces (which is what gets damaged / deteriorates) and their price is pretty low.

[MENTION=37643]NoobSX[/MENTION], good luck whichever direction you take.

Unrelated - has anyone else gotten suspicious pop-ups when clicking the photo hosting site from the 1st post? I got a pesky “Your Flash must be updated” pop-up, viewing on an iPad nonetheless. Just sharing with the OP, maybe beware that site...

Aside from that, the two big $ items in your list are no longer available from Honda so that cuts your costs to less than $100.

They are available new elsewhere...

@NoobSX, good luck whichever direction you take.

Unrelated - has anyone else gotten suspicious pop-ups when clicking the photo hosting site from the 1st post? I got a pesky “Your Flash must be updated” pop-up, viewing on an iPad nonetheless. Just sharing with the OP, maybe beware that site...

Thanks.
Not sure what's going on with your popup. Flash is long dead as you may know. I've been using that site for a long time with no issues, but then again, I do use system-wide ad, scam, popup and phishing blocker, so I may as well not be aware of it.
If anyone else reports problems, let me know and I'll remove the pics.

I totally understand if the price of this NSX represents to you the fastest way to obtain an NSX.
Maybe you should just buy it and fix it. If it bites you in the ass, think of it as a life lesson.
If you gave yourself a timeline of a few years and put 5k a year into it, after 3-4 years maybe you'll end up with a car that will keep appreciating.
I personally wouldn't buy it but that's just me.
I would rather buy a high mileage car than a low mileage hotel for spiders. hehe.
If you buy it and restore it to it's former glory, hats off to you and respect..

I totally understand if the price of this NSX represents to you the fastest way to obtain an NSX.
Maybe you should just buy it and fix it. If it bites you in the ass, think of it as a life lesson.
If you gave yourself a timeline of a few years and put 5k a year into it, after 3-4 years maybe you'll end up with a car that will keep appreciating.
I personally wouldn't buy it but that's just me.
I would rather buy a high mileage car than a low mileage hotel for spiders. hehe.
If you buy it and restore it to it's former glory, hats off to you and respect..

Agree

>If you gave yourself a timeline of a few years and put 5k a year into it, after 3-4 years maybe you'll end up with a car that will keep appreciating.

With this premise: one is far better off to put the money in an index fund for two years, add in $5K a year, and THEN go buy a complete & maintained NSX.

This example where the delta between purchase price+repairs is so close to a good condition complete car: This car will be a money loser for ANYBODY that has to outsource the repairs. Storage is also expensive, that alone might make it untenable.

>I personally wouldn't buy it but that's just me.

Based on indicated condition: *I* would purchase the vehicle because I can do all the repairs myself and/or is a money-making flip. It would still be tight. And if the main train is junk: Tesla conversion project for me! Then again: I have a large shop with free space too.

If you are not going to purchase the car, you should at least extend the contact info for somebody else to try.

This isn't a 1965 Shelby Daytona coupe that is being sold for $35K.

Even something like this complete car is a money loser and should be immediately put on the auction block for somebody who can't do the math.

>If you gave yourself a timeline of a few years and put 5k a year into it, after 3-4 years maybe you'll end up with a car that will keep appreciating.

With this premise: one is far better off to put the money in an index fund for two years, add in $5K a year, and THEN go buy a complete & maintained NSX.
Pretty much what I was saying, but thanks for quoting me. :smile:
I agree with you drew, but sometimes passion can out weigh logic. I bought my high mileage (100k miles) NSX in 2007 and many people back then thought I was making a mistake.
As it turns out now, I own an Australian delivered manual nsx that is worth twice what I paid.
If i'd of listened to logic, I wouldn't of bought it, but I'm so happy I did. It's been 14 years of trouble free driving pleasure.

Last edited:
Back