• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Am I in a world of trouble ?

Would you buy it ?

• No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Hi everyone. New user. I come from a non-English speaking country, so pardon my grammar mistakes.

I've been wanting to have a NSX for a long time now. A decade ago it was just a distant wish with no hope of ever getting it for real, however things have changed drastically since then, and fast-forward to the present... I managed to find one Acura NSX for cheap, it's the 91 coupe, manual. :)

THE BAD:

The guy hasn't been driving it for the past 10 years or so. He says he'd occasionally run the engine just so it doesn't lock up.
It's in a garage, full of dust and spiderwebs, down on deflated old tires.
No battery inside.
No spare wheel in front. Hook for the bonnet arm is missing, so the arm is just hanging down freely.
No windscreen wipers.
ABS doesn't work.
Both gas shocks for the engine window have given up.
He says he painted the front bumper because someone scratched it a long time ago.

A friend of the owner has been chopping off small bits off of it for the past few years (for his own NSX), so it lacks a windshield washer nozzle and these parts that I don't know the name, so if you could please help me out, I'd be grateful.
I've circled them in Paint with red color (images are from the internet):

Besides that, he pulled out the radio because since it's Acura, and the radio was for American frequencies, it allegedly didn't work here, so he got rid of it, and now there a hole there.
There are a few other minor flaws inside, but nothing that can't be fixed rather cheaply.
There's probably more flaws, but these are just the ones we were able to see during the first visit, which had to be kept short since we travelled a lot just to see it and had to get back in the same day.
Also, the idiot owner was so uninterested, that he didn't even bring the battery so we can check how it runs, do popup headlights work, etc.
Unfortunately we weren't able to see under the car either, because it's tucked away in the corner of his garage and covered with cardboard, so there's a lot of stuff that would need to be moved to move the car or to get under it, and there's no car lift there as well.

THE GOOD:

The car doesn't seem to have had any significant damage. Apart from the front bumper, the rest is stock paint. No dents or so. Minor scratches here and there, but that's normal.
The car is 100% stock with real mileage (46k).
The interior is in good shape, seats as well. Doors, trunk and front bonnet close normally and are lined up.
The engine compartment is clean, no oil stains, etc.
Shifter works like a charm
It's always been garaged and serviced (while it was in use).
The price is very attractive ($35K), the car is very stock and very rare, which is the only reason I'm considering getting into this world of pain.

My friend tells me it's a true "barn find" and that we can fix it up easily, so that I can actually enjoy and drive it (not sell it).

If you were in my place, would you go ahead with purchasing it?
If yes, what can I expect in terms of forthcoming costs ?

Thanks

Last edited:
With that mileage, I wouldn’t hesitate for $35k USD. You will need to get the engine refreshed obviously, all belts, WP,TB, hoses etc. your concerns all appear to be minor. Sounds like owner isn’t too interested in selling the car or the car itself if they didn’t put any effort into showing it to you. I typically take tools, including battery in situations like this.

Bottom Line Up Front: Don't! Unless you have mechanic skills and are willing to do a lot of things yourself...

A car that hasn't been running routinely for 10 years will need a lot of work to get on the road soundly. Just from what you said here is what I think you're looking at:

1. You first have to verify that everything works with a battery hooked up; chances are it doesn't; windows will be slow to go up and down so regulators probably need a rebuild at this point - $400 USD roughly ? could be high on this number
2. No spare tire, ok who cares unless you're a purist; free weight savings.
3. The hood prop rod holder is only $2 USD
4. The lower molding on the windshield is $100 USD
5. The outer A Pillars (including screws, etc) will set you back another $1000 USD
6. Windshield washer arms (plus all components on the arms) $400 USD
7. Replacement OEM radio (used, maybe working condition) $500 USD....brand new is something like $2500 USD.
8. Good guess the speakers and sub don't work so the amps probably need to be repaired; there is a guy in Europe that will do them; I'm not 100% on cost but expect around $300 USD....if you buy all new OEM audio components it's around $2000 USD
9. You say there are other flaws inside that are fixed cheaply...do NOT be so confident; even the most unassuming part can cost a lot of money.
10. Other interior issues to worry about...CCU unit, if the A/C and Heating system even fully works. This could cost THOUSANDS, let's give you benefit of the doubt and say $2000 (new evaporator/heater core unit and CCU), but if the compressor is shot you're looking at another $2000 for a compressor and new A/C lines to upgrade to R134
11. Chances are it's a good idea for the cluster to have it's capacitors replaced as well, probably $300.
12. ABS doesn't work; so a used unit is going to set you back $700-$1000; brand new it's closer to $5000; or upgrade to the 00+ system which will set you back around $2000 for parts alone.
13. The brakes need to be completely overhauled or brand new brakes purchased. Expect to pay about $300 for overhaul parts, not including labor. You'll need new pads too so don't forget that.
14. Chances are the brake master cylinder will need to be replaced after sitting that long; might as well do the clutch master and slave as well. Expect to pay $500 USD for all of that in parts
15. Gas struts for the rear glass aren't bad, you can ship them to several vendors to have them regassed for a small fee.
16. All coolant hoses will need to be replaced and might as well replace the radiator and coolant overflow tank as well. If you go aftermarket for the radiator the parts for the hoses and radiator will be around $1000 USD...if you go with an OEM radiator it'll be closer to $2000 USD
17. You'll want to drain the gas, drop and clean the gas tank and probably replace the fuel pump. Not hard or expensive to do yourself but tedious. If you have a shop do it, expect to pay some money, it's labor intensive b/c part of the interior has to be taken apart. Probably only $300 USD in parts thought.
18. Engine Refresh: Timing Belt, Water Pump, LMA's, Cam plugs, seals, alternator belt, a/c belt, tensioner, pulley, etc. is going to set you back probably $6000 USD if not more if you can find a shop wiling to do it.
19. You're probably in the market for new suspension; used stock sets are about $400-$600; brand new could be closer to $2000; at which point there are a lot of aftermarket solutions for cheaper.
20. I'd venture to guess almost EVERY rubber seal on the car needs to be replaced...again looking at over $1000 USD to replace all with new rubber.

Back of the envelope low end numbers on everything listed above (most of which is just parts and does NOT include shipping or labor) I'm already guessing you're looking at an additional $15k fixing what you already know. Then there are the unknowns, if it were me, I'd plan another $5k if not more for that. Again some of those parts I listed as new you can probably find used for cheaper. But your location in Europe is going to make things difficult from a shipping and reliable/experienced mechanic perspective. Unless of course you're doing all the work yourself.

Dig around on the forum and you'll see a lot of advice where people say "The cheapest NSX will always be the most expensive" and they aren't wrong.
@Honcho , @Old Guy , @goldNSX , @docjohn , @VANSXTC , [MENTION=33247]MotorMouth93[/MENTION] what am I missing or forgetting...or am I way over thinking this?

Since you've told me where you're located in Europe I figured it would be worth another opinion...

Hey [MENTION=9710]austrian type-R[/MENTION] if this guy buys this car and gets it to you in Austria, given what's in the post, what is your rough estimate to get him back on the road safely?

Sorry for not reading it thoroughly but where are you located and where the car?

It really comes down to this. Can you do the work yourself?

If the answer is “no” hard pass.

If you can fix it yourself and get the parts. There is plenty of sweat equity left in the car to make a nice ride out of. Did you check to see if it is in snap ring range? Prices listed above are paying someone who charges a ton and Mark up parts. You can shop around and find much better deals then your typical Prime vendors. Parts have a massive price fluctuations because they are rare or perceived to be rare.

For instance I found a new OEM Steering rack shipped to my house for less then half what it cost to buy new threw a vendor here or have one rebuilt by them. Do you have the patience and the skill to source and replace the parts it needs. If not do not buy it. Buy one for more that needs less.

If you are not going to do the work and pay someone then work backwards from the current value of a good working nsx in Europe - a signed estimate to complete work, then offer the difference to buy the car.

With that mileage, I wouldn’t hesitate for $35k USD. You will need to get the engine refreshed obviously, all belts, WP,TB, hoses etc. your concerns all appear to be minor. Sounds like owner isn’t too interested in selling the car or the car itself if they didn’t put any effort into showing it to you. I typically take tools, including battery in situations like this.

Hey Hass, thanks for your answer.
I will guess that WP means water pump and TB timing belt? If so, then yes, I'm aware it'll need to be replaced.

Bottom Line Up Front: Don't! Unless you have mechanic skills and are willing to do a lot of things yourself...

A car that hasn't been running routinely for 10 years will need a lot of work to get on the road soundly. Just from what you said here is what I think you're looking at:

1. You first have to verify that everything works with a battery hooked up; chances are it doesn't; windows will be slow to go up and down so regulators probably need a rebuild at this point - $400 USD roughly ? could be high on this number
2. No spare tire, ok who cares unless you're a purist; free weight savings.
3. The hood prop rod holder is only $2 USD
4. The lower molding on the windshield is $100 USD
5. The outer A Pillars (including screws, etc) will set you back another $1000 USD
6. Windshield washer arms (plus all components on the arms) $400 USD
7. Replacement OEM radio (used, maybe working condition) $500 USD....brand new is something like $2500 USD.
8. Good guess the speakers and sub don't work so the amps probably need to be repaired; there is a guy in Europe that will do them; I'm not 100% on cost but expect around $300 USD....if you buy all new OEM audio components it's around $2000 USD
9. You say there are other flaws inside that are fixed cheaply...do NOT be so confident; even the most unassuming part can cost a lot of money.
10. Other interior issues to worry about...CCU unit, if the A/C and Heating system even fully works. This could cost THOUSANDS, let's give you benefit of the doubt and say $2000 (new evaporator/heater core unit and CCU), but if the compressor is shot you're looking at another $2000 for a compressor and new A/C lines to upgrade to R134
11. Chances are it's a good idea for the cluster to have it's capacitors replaced as well, probably $300.
12. ABS doesn't work; so a used unit is going to set you back $700-$1000; brand new it's closer to $5000; or upgrade to the 00+ system which will set you back around $2000 for parts alone.
13. The brakes need to be completely overhauled or brand new brakes purchased. Expect to pay about $300 for overhaul parts, not including labor. You'll need new pads too so don't forget that.
14. Chances are the brake master cylinder will need to be replaced after sitting that long; might as well do the clutch master and slave as well. Expect to pay $500 USD for all of that in parts
15. Gas struts for the rear glass aren't bad, you can ship them to several vendors to have them regassed for a small fee.
16. All coolant hoses will need to be replaced and might as well replace the radiator and coolant overflow tank as well. If you go aftermarket for the radiator the parts for the hoses and radiator will be around $1000 USD...if you go with an OEM radiator it'll be closer to $2000 USD
17. You'll want to drain the gas, drop and clean the gas tank and probably replace the fuel pump. Not hard or expensive to do yourself but tedious. If you have a shop do it, expect to pay some money, it's labor intensive b/c part of the interior has to be taken apart. Probably only $300 USD in parts thought.
18. Engine Refresh: Timing Belt, Water Pump, LMA's, Cam plugs, seals, alternator belt, a/c belt, tensioner, pulley, etc. is going to set you back probably $6000 USD if not more if you can find a shop wiling to do it.
19. You're probably in the market for new suspension; used stock sets are about $400-$600; brand new could be closer to $2000; at which point there are a lot of aftermarket solutions for cheaper.
20. I'd venture to guess almost EVERY rubber seal on the car needs to be replaced...again looking at over $1000 USD to replace all with new rubber.

Back of the envelope low end numbers on everything listed above (most of which is just parts and does NOT include shipping or labor) I'm already guessing you're looking at an additional $15k fixing what you already know. Then there are the unknowns, if it were me, I'd plan another $5k if not more for that. Again some of those parts I listed as new you can probably find used for cheaper. But your location in Europe is going to make things difficult from a shipping and reliable/experienced mechanic perspective. Unless of course you're doing all the work yourself.

Dig around on the forum and you'll see a lot of advice where people say "The cheapest NSX will always be the most expensive" and they aren't wrong.
@Honcho , @Old Guy , @goldNSX , @docjohn , @VANSXTC , @MotorMouth93 what am I missing or forgetting...or am I way over thinking this?

Hey NSX n00b, looks like we have similar nicknames :)
Thanks for your thorough answer.
It scared the shit from me :D
I wouldn't be surprised if all the things you listed needed replacing.
I can only pray that some of them are actually in good shape and working (like AC unit), but in the worst case scenario, I'm screwed.
First, there is no knowledgeable Honda shop anywhere in this area. I mean, there is a Honda shop, but those guys were born after the NSX stopped being produced. This, in my opinion, is the biggest problem, because it's related closely to my second remark:
Second, I don't know how to work on a car, at least not the job of this magnitude. I can change the oil, air filter, and spark plugs, but that's about it when it comes to my abilities.
Third, having all the necessary Acura parts shipped here from America is gonna be costly due to shipping and tax expenses, so unless there's a shop in EU, I'm screwed about that too. (I see you mentioned some Austrian shop, thanks for that, I'll have to talk to them if I decide to purchase the car).

I'm still weighing whether I should pull the trigger or not, so it's good to know all the troubles that await me if I do.

Sorry for not reading it thoroughly but where are you located and where the car?

Hey goldNSX, I'm in Europe. For now I can't disclose more information, but if I buy it, there'll be a new thread describing everything.

It really comes down to this. Can you do the work yourself?

If the answer is “no” hard pass.

If you can fix it yourself and get the parts. There is plenty of sweat equity left in the car to make a nice ride out of. Did you check to see if it is in snap ring range? Prices listed above are paying someone who charges a ton and Mark up parts. You can shop around and find much better deals then your typical Prime vendors. Parts have a massive price fluctuations because they are rare or perceived to be rare.

For instance I found a new OEM Steering rack shipped to my house for less then half what it cost to buy new threw a vendor here or have one rebuilt by them. Do you have the patience and the skill to source and replace the parts it needs. If not do not buy it. Buy one for more that needs less.

The answer is no.
I'm an IT guy and as I stated above, I can change oil, air filter and spark plugs but that's about it. :redface:
Thanks for your input, now I have to weigh in all the + and - you guys mentioned.

Your going to eat up that savings paying someone else to fix what it needs to get the car right real quickly. In the end it’s low mileage so it may still be worth it. But you are going to spend what it’s worth fixed one way or the other. I don’t know what the market looks like in Europe. But I think you would be better off finding one that has up to date maintenance. Then again if you have all the work done you know what you got.

Last edited:
First, there is no knowledgeable Honda shop anywhere in this area. I mean, there is a Honda shop, but those guys were born after the NSX stopped being produced. This, in my opinion, is the biggest problem, because it's related closely to my second remark:
Second, I don't know how to work on a car, at least not the job of this magnitude. I can change the oil, air filter, and spark plugs, but that's about it when it comes to my abilities.
Third, having all the necessary Acura parts shipped here from America is gonna be costly due to shipping and tax expenses, so unless there's a shop in EU, I'm screwed about that too. (I see you mentioned some Austrian shop, thanks for that, I'll have to talk to them if I decide to purchase the car).

Your first 2 points should tell you all you need to know. Unless you're willing to learn how to do the work or ship the car to a shop that can do it reliably and you have the budget for it. But I think you're looking at your $35k turning into what it would take (if not more) to buy one elsewhere in Europe with up to date maintenance but slightly higher mileage.

First item!

My friend tells me it's a true "barn find" and that we can fix it up easily, so that I can actually enjoy and drive it (not sell it).

I am sure he is a good friend; but, he is being too enthusiastic with your money. Maybe find someone else to help you with the valuation. In the age of the internet, there are no longer true barn finds. Just dirty un maintained cars that people have been motivated to try and fob off now that the market value has taken a hike..

We on this side of the Atlantic don't know what the market value of a 1991 NSX is in Europe which will determine the relative value of this car compared to some other 1991 NSX which can actually be driven. As docjohn noted, once you have that value you can work backwards to calculate the amount of money that can be put into restoration before this becomes a financial loss.

There are a few other minor flaws inside, but nothing that can't be fixed rather cheaply.

As an observation, 'rather cheaply' should never be used in a sentence when referring to the NSX. It is not a Ferrari 355; but, it is not really a Honda either. Unlike Civics and Accords there are no significant aftermarket suppliers for parts. If you need parts you almost certainly be sourcing them from Honda. Also, unlike Civics and Accords there are not a lot of mechanics who are skilled in working on the NSX. Those that are likely come with an NSX tax.

@NSX_n00b has given you a good list of potential items and associated costs. Some of his items on the list like rubber parts and suspension may not be a problem or an immediate problem and can be deferred. I suspect that there are a lot of 1991 NSXs running around with the original suspension components If you want to check on parts availability, this website has good diagrams and will allow you to find part numbers for the North American NSX.

Discounted Genuine Acura Parts | Acura OEM Parts

Amayama's website also has diagrams with part numbers; but, I find their parts catalog a little harder to work from.

Genuine Japanese Car Part Imports - Amayama

Once you have a part number you can search on Amayama's site using the part number. Amayama still lists trim and other parts that are de listed from the Honda USA vendors. You generally will not find new OEM parts at a lower price from any other vendor and since you are going to face shipping costs for and replacement replacement parts if you select the Japan Post / EMS shipping option the shipping costs will be as low as they are ever going to get (much lower than shipping from North America). You can use these websites to figure out what some of your potential costs may be for restoration.

The fact that you were not able to start the car and drive it is a huge red flag for me. The C30 engine is expensive to repair. Even if the engine will start and seems to run OK, not being able to drive it is a problem because there are lots of other expensive things that you can't check if you can't move the car. @DRIFTER mentioned the snap ring range issue. If the transmission number is in the snap ring range and the owner cannot provide you with documentation that the problem has been fixed you have a huge unknown problem that is really expensive to fix. An unresolved snap ring problem will have a serious effect on price if you try to sell the car in the future to someone who is knowledgeable about the NSX.

Two questions. The first is I don't know what the market value of this car is in Europe which would establish how much you should be willing to pay for it before it becomes a bad cost decision. The second is that I don't know much free post purchase cash you have available to put into restoring the car. The worst possible scenario is that you purchase the car, find out that it does not run or has some other serious problem and you don't have the cash available to fix the problem. In that case, somebody else's collection of NSX parts becomes your collection of NSX parts.

I would be inclined to walk away from it because it is currently a non runner.

Finally, your English grammar is just fine.

Last edited:
Your first 2 points should tell you all you need to know. Unless you're willing to learn how to do the work or ship the car to a shop that can do it reliably and you have the budget for it. But I think you're looking at your $35k turning into what it would take (if not more) to buy one elsewhere in Europe with up to date maintenance but slightly higher mileage.

I see your point and you're right, however, the closest car I could find here in Europe with similar mileage costs over €61K ($72K) and that's the money I don't currently have, hence why I'm looking at this pile of (possible) problems :)
It will give me the opportunity to own a NSX and repair it down the line as I get some money for the repairs.
One day she will be like-new with everything replaced and in working order, but it'll take time. That's the price I have to pay for not being able to buy a better one right away.
On the positive, as the Drifter said, "if you have all the work done you know what you got." - that's what I'm hoping to achieve.

I'm an average human who likes to drive my cars..I spent wayyyy too much time recently replacing a silly alternator....so there's that ....:wink:

I'm an average human who likes to drive my cars..I spent wayyyy too much time recently replacing a silly alternator....so there's that ....:wink:

Doc, you're far from average!!!

Rog, flattery will get you everywhere...:biggrin:

It will give me the opportunity to own a NSX and repair it down the line as I get some money for the repairs.
One day she will be like-new with everything replaced and in working order, but it'll take time. That's the price I have to pay for not being able to buy a better one right away.

The problem you face here is you don’t know what needs to be done NOW and what can be deferred “down the line” so you may be putting your self in a situation where the car will have to sit in your garage for a very long time until you have the money to fix it. And unfortunately parts and service are only going up in price with time.

It sounds like your mind is made up and you will be purchasing the car regardless. If that’s the case the community will always be here to try and help you as best we can. But please be sure you are ready to spend a substantial amount of your savings on something that might not be road able for a period of time.

however, the closest car I could find here in Europe with similar mileage costs over €61K ($72K) and that's the money I don't currently have, hence why I'm looking at this pile of (possible) problems :)
NSXs in Europe are a little bit overpriced from what I observe that a lot of cars are for sale for years...Also their condition variies wildly. If you can find a cheap one you'll end up at EUR 50k minimum if all the repairs have been done (DIY). No offense, but I'd stay away from many NSXs in Europe that are for sale, too pricey. You get a better bang for the buck in the US, but it's an Acura then...

Good Luck in your search. There is lots a great support here and the 'Old Guy' is not average. Keep reaching out if you have questions!

The guy hasn't been driving it for the past 10 years or so. He says he'd occasionally run the engine just so it doesn't lock up.
It's in a garage, full of dust and spiderwebs, down on deflated old tires.
No battery inside.
No spare wheel in front. Hook for the bonnet arm is missing, so the arm is just hanging down freely.
No windscreen wipers.
ABS doesn't work.
Both gas shocks for the engine window have given up.
He says he painted the front bumper because someone scratched it a long time ago.

I didn't read too much of the other responses but I do want to ask you: do you love the car enough to restore it and drive it more than the current owner? Restoring it will certainly cost something and you are basically gambling with that money if you don't know what you're getting into.

That being said, I could live without a spare tire, ABS, windshield wipers, spray nozzles, and working engine hatch struts. I don't drive the car in the rain and the NA1 ABS isn't great and is disabled on mine. You can replace the battery, engine hatch struts, fluids, and the tires as well as all the belts on the car. However, that probably won't happen until you own the car so I guess it goes back to my original question. The benefit of replacing these is that you have peace of mind and gain knowledge about the car each thing you replace. Just as long as the axles aren't warped or the engine isn't damaged in some way, everything can slowly be replaced.

If you're ready to make that commitment then I think it would be worth it, as your investment will slowly pay off in the reliability and longevity of the car. It's your choice though, and like I said right now it seems a bit of a gamble. Another clue is the current owner. Does he treat his cars like trash? If so, then there are probably more hidden costs you will encounter due to his lack of care. But the car's future will ultimately lie in the next owner's love for it and how deep their pockets are.

If you want to check on parts availability, this website has good diagrams and will allow you to find part numbers for the North American NSX.

Discounted Genuine Acura Parts | Acura OEM Parts

Amayama's website also has diagrams with part numbers; but, I find their parts catalog a little harder to work from.

Genuine Japanese Car Part Imports - Amayama

Once you have a part number you can search on Amayama's site using the part number. Amayama still lists trim and other parts that are de listed from the Honda USA vendors. You generally will not find new OEM parts at a lower price from any other vendor and since you are going to face shipping costs for and replacement replacement parts if you select the Japan Post / EMS shipping option the shipping costs will be as low as they are ever going to get (much lower than shipping from North America). You can use these websites to figure out what some of your potential costs may be for restoration.

Hey thanks for the links.
The first link gives me 403 error, but second works just fine.
I can't seem to find the parts circled in my first post, could you help me out?

Regarding the parts and shipping, I think my best option is nsx-parts.com since they're located in Austria and have fair prices, so I'll avoid America altogether.
I'm already in talks with the owner and just the basic stuff to make car work safely again is coming north of $3K, but that's understandable.
If I buy it, I think we'll do a complete inspection at friend's BMW service shop, then make a list of parts that need to be changed, and probably order them from nsx-parts.com. They have an impressive stock.

The fact that you were not able to start the car and drive it is a huge red flag for me. The C30 engine is expensive to repair. Even if the engine will start and seems to run OK, not being able to drive it is a problem because there are lots of other expensive things that you can't check if you can't move the car. @DRIFTER mentioned the snap ring range issue. If the transmission number is in the snap ring range and the owner cannot provide you with documentation that the problem has been fixed you have a huge unknown problem that is really expensive to fix. An unresolved snap ring problem will have a serious effect on price if you try to sell the car in the future to someone who is knowledgeable about the NSX.

I agree. I guess we'll have to deal with snap ring issue once the car is actually bought and inspected.

Two questions. The first is I don't know what the market value of this car is in Europe which would establish how much you should be willing to pay for it before it becomes a bad cost decision. The second is that I don't know much free post purchase cash you have available to put into restoring the car. The worst possible scenario is that you purchase the car, find out that it does not run or has some other serious problem and you don't have the cash available to fix the problem. In that case, somebody else's collection of NSX parts becomes your collection of NSX parts.

I would be inclined to walk away from it because it is currently a non runner.

For the beginning, I can spend about $10K on repairs, and more down the line...

The problem you face here is you don’t know what needs to be done NOW and what can be deferred “down the line” so you may be putting your self in a situation where the car will have to sit in your garage for a very long time until you have the money to fix it. And unfortunately parts and service are only going up in price with time.

It sounds like your mind is made up and you will be purchasing the car regardless. If that’s the case the community will always be here to try and help you as best we can. But please be sure you are ready to spend a substantial amount of your savings on something that might not be road able for a period of time.

I'm having a hard time trying to reason my heart, because it keeps telling me "it's now or never" (to ever buy and own a NSX).
We did some calculations today, and for the start, these are the things that need changing in order to make car work safely:

1. valve cover gasket kit
  2. oil filter
  3. timing belt + tensioner kit
  4. air filter
  5. AC and alternator belt
  6. all coolant hoses
  7. thermostat
  8. spark plugs
  9. crank pulley
  10. water pump (upgraded version)
  11. fuel filter
  12. clutch cylinder (we tried the clutch and it doesn't feel right, so it's probably this)
  13. brake hoses kit (stainless steel)
  14. fuel hoses kit

This list is already $3.5k+ and probably additional $500-1000 for the labor.
I'm well aware of other potential costs, but somehow I'd rather have it in my garage and enjoy it some day, than try to chase good used ones that keep increasing in price each year :/

NSXs in Europe are a little bit overpriced from what I observe that a lot of cars are for sale for years...Also their condition variies wildly. If you can find a cheap one you'll end up at EUR 50k minimum if all the repairs have been done (DIY). No offense, but I'd stay away from many NSXs in Europe that are for sale, too pricey. You get a better bang for the buck in the US, but it's an Acura then...

Yes, I think they are.
They're actually more rare here than in America, probably that's why.
The irony is, this NSX is actually an Acura NSX, imported from USA in 1996 and since then it is with the current owner.

I didn't read too much of the other responses but I do want to ask you: do you love the car enough to restore it and drive it more than the current owner? Restoring it will certainly cost something and you are basically gambling with that money if you don't know what you're getting into.

There's never been a car in my ownership that wasn't driven properly and regularly.
I'll never forget a Honda CRX that my father brought home back in 1991, it was an 1.6i-16 and it was red and I thought it was the fastest car in the world :)
Back at the time, Golfs I and II were dominating the roads, until the red rocket arrived. Policemen would stop us just to inspect the car and ask questions about it, because they had never seen anything like it before.
Maybe it sounds funny now, but that's how the reality was back then. NSX was viewed as a space shuttle probably :)
Between then and now, I haven't had a chance to own a proper Honda, but I do now. I guess the wish was silently burning all these years + I think it's got something to do with nostalgia and memories of my father, too.

(me as a kid in my father's CRX)

That being said, I could live without a spare tire, ABS, windshield wipers, spray nozzles, and working engine hatch struts. I don't drive the car in the rain and the NA1 ABS isn't great and is disabled on mine. You can replace the battery, engine hatch struts, fluids, and the tires as well as all the belts on the car. However, that probably won't happen until you own the car so I guess it goes back to my original question. The benefit of replacing these is that you have peace of mind and gain knowledge about the car each thing you replace. Just as long as the axles aren't warped or the engine isn't damaged in some way, everything can slowly be replaced.

If you're ready to make that commitment then I think it would be worth it, as your investment will slowly pay off in the reliability and longevity of the car. It's your choice though, and like I said right now it seems a bit of a gamble. Another clue is the current owner. Does he treat his cars like trash? If so, then there are probably more hidden costs you will encounter due to his lack of care. But the car's future will ultimately lie in the next owner's love for it and how deep their pockets are.

The current owner doesn't treat his cars like trash.
We're good with the guy who's good with the owner, and in his words, the car has always been taken care of, serviced regularly, etc. - until he stopped using it, some 10 years ago, but hence the price tag.

I can't seem to find the parts circled in my first post, could you help me out?

Lower windshield molding:
74202-SL0-000
Clips for molding (qty 8 needed)
74207-SL0-000
Right A Pillar Trim:
72420-SL0-003ZC
Left A Pillar Trim:
72460-SL0-003ZC
Window guards (qty 2 needed):
72430-SL0-003
Bolts for window guards (qty 2 needed):
90130-SL0-003
A pillar trim screws (qty 24 needed, 12 per side):
90128-SL0-003

Please double or triple your labor expectations...the timing belt and water pump job is an 8-10hr job for an experienced mechanic with the engine in the car. Engine removal adds a ton more labor time.

Ok so why would a guy who stops driving a rare exotic car just leave it and forget it...A reasonable thing would be to have sold it 8-10 years ago...:confused: He aint the sultan of Brunei.......or was he?:tongue:

Lower windshield molding:
74202-SL0-000
Clips for molding (qty 8 needed)
74207-SL0-000
Right A Pillar Trim:
72420-SL0-003ZC
Left A Pillar Trim:
72460-SL0-003ZC
Window guards (qty 2 needed):
72430-SL0-003
Bolts for window guards (qty 2 needed):
90130-SL0-003
A pillar trim screws (qty 24 needed, 12 per side):
90128-SL0-003

Please double or triple your labor expectations...the timing belt and water pump job is an 8-10hr job for an experienced mechanic with the engine in the car. Engine removal adds a ton more labor time.

Thanks, will do :encouragement:

Ok so why would a guy who stops driving a rare exotic car just leave it and forget it...A reasonable thing would be to have sold it 8-10 years ago...:confused: He aint the sultan of Brunei.......or was he?:tongue:

It's...complicated, but you're almost close :D We'll have to leave it at that...

as long as you are alright with "complicated" best of luck! Don't forget Adnan...

Just my 2 cents or Euros/etc., I'll echo the "cheapest NSX is the most expensive" phrase. In my opinion, the NSX is not a car that makes economic sense to buy a neglected one to restore, the eventual selling price just isn't enough to justify the parts and labor cost. Even the neglected ones still seem to get $30k+ in a lot of markets, so you'd have to get it for super cheap (not really available anymore) or the market you're in has to value them very highly (Australia, Japan, etc.). I would highly recommend ponying up for a more expensive, well-maintained car and let someone else blow their savings on a restoration.

You will absolutely be underwater on the car if you don't do 90% of the work yourself, the parts alone will pretty much get you to the break-even price or even above it. You will uncover a lot of issues you didn't originally know about (even with a good PPI) and you'll get nicked-and-dimed to death. Not as big of a deal for an old CRX or Civic, but the NSX is a few price brackets above those in both parts and labor, and they're only getting more expensive and hard to find as time goes on. I'd also budget at least 1-2 years to get the car to a good baseline drivability level if you make it your main free-time sink or shell out tens of thousands of Euro to have someone do it for you. If you don't mind doing a lot of research on servicing the car and teaching yourself how to work on it for the next few years, it can work out but will not be easy.

Back