• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"An enthusiast's guide to Road America"

Peter DeLorenzo's June 6th, 2017, piece highlighting Road America is worthy of review and printing/reference for our NSXPO.

It will be my first time there, so I will use this as a "how to" view the track. Although not participating in the HPDE days, will be there
and cannot wait to watch the NSXs and Integras run this road course :smile:

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/?currentPage=13

"THE SOUND. THE GUTS. THE GLORY. AN ENTHUSIAST'S GUIDE TO ROAD AMERICA.

Date Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 09:34AM

Editor's Note: In preparation for the summer racing season, Peter is revisiting one of his favorite subjects today - Road America. He tells you what to see, where to go and what not to miss. Enjoy! -WG

Detroit: Road America, the 4.048-mile jewel of a track - "America's National Park of Speed" - carved out of Kettle Moraine country about halfway between Green Bay and Milwaukee, is the finest road racing circuit in the U.S. For many enthusiasts, Road America is a state of mind as much as it is a destination. History oozes out of the magnificent circuit and the postcard town of Elkhart Lake, as it is one of three places - along with Watkins Glen and Pebble Beach - that hosted open road sports car racing in the early 50s. For first-time visitors I highly recommend that you take the time to check out the historic roadside markers arrayed in the town and along the roads surrounding it, because it is one of the birthplaces of sports car racing in this country.

The permanent track was the dream of Clif Tufte, a trained civil engineer who walked the 525 acres of Wisconsin farmland and laid out the track himself. Tufte spent almost a year planning Road America and his dream became a reality when the track opened in April 1955. By September 10, 1955, the track's first SCCA national race weekend was held. One of the most amazing things about Road America is that Tufte's visionary layout has remained unchanged ever since, which is pretty incredible when you think about what has happened to other tracks over the decades since.

Everyone who goes to Road America has a story, because they've usually been attending races there for years, or decades, as the case may be. So I'm presenting a few high points for viewing the action at the track only as a suggestion, not a be-all and end-all proclamation. People inevitably find their own favorite places at the track the first time they go there, so what follows are a few of mine.

1. Stand along the fence on the front straight on the outside of the track just north of the the start/finish line. You can get remarkably close to the cars as they crest the massive hill on the front straight and blast by. It will get your attention real quick, trust me. Just for the record, cars reach their top speed at three different places per lap on the track, which is why it is so damn fast, and that is the end of the front straight, the end of the Moraine Sweep going into Turn 5, and at the end of Kettle Bottoms going into Canada Corner (Turn 12).

2. Watch on the outside of Turn 1. You can see the cars braking and setting up for the fast, sweeping right-hand corner. And yeah, you can see who's going fast just by the way they get through here.

3. Turn 3 is another favorite spectator area. The cars come over the hill and head down into the right-hand sweeper, which is a quicker corner than it looks at first. It's extremely important to get through there right, too, because it pours on to the second top speed section: the Moraine Sweep.

4. Walk through the woods and watch the Moraine Sweep and the cars braking into Turn 5. Before the FIA catch-fencing was installed (a sad day for Road America purists) you could stand at one of the fastest places on the entire circuit and watch the cars just pound by, with nothing but a low guard rail between you and the track. I distinctly remember watching the Can-Am cars here, with the sun glinting off of their huge rear wings as they powered by at 190MPH plus. The Sound. The Guts. The Glory. There was just nothing like it then, and it's still fantastic to this day.

5. Keep walking along the outside of the track down to Turn 5. Watching the drivers stand on their brakes going into Turn 5 is a sight to behold, especially the Indy cars on their qualifying laps. Then stand by the fence or sit in the bleachers at Turn 5. There's a reason that it is one of the most popular viewing places at Road America. Stuff happens there.

6. Make your way to the top of the hill at Turn 6. You can watch on the inside of the corner and see the cars heading to Turn 7 and then Hurry Downs. Or, you can sit at the outside of Turn 6 under the trees as the cars blast under the Corvette bridge and crank left through Turn 6. Either way is good, especially on the outside, because the cars are right there in front of you. As in close.

7. Turn 7 (and Hurry Downs) has a hilltop viewing area. It's cool, but walk down to the fence and position yourself so you can see the cars coming out of 7 hard on the gas. It's an awesome view.

8. Turn 8 is the hard left after Hurry Downs. I like to position myself on the inside of this corner (although other people swear by the viewing area on the outside of the track here) and watch the drivers do their hard braking into this corner and then power out for the set-up into the famous Carousel Corner.

9. I like to position myself on the outside of the track (just past the Johnsonville bridge) to see the drivers commit to the turn-in to get around the Carousel. The inside view of this corner by the main camping ground is really good too.

10. You can walk around and watch the cars power out of the Carousel below, but now there's a foot bridge (the Hawk Performance bridge) that allows you to walk down and get a fantastic view of the infamous Kink, the most ball-jangling corner in all of American road racing. I recommend you go down there for qualifying, too, because it will give you a renewed appreciation for the concept of being on The Edge.

11. The spectator viewing area on the outside of Turn 12 (make sure you have good hiking shoes on) is another fan favorite because you can see the cars approaching out of Kettle Bottoms (the third place on the circuit where the cars reach top speed) and the drivers doing heavy braking for 12. There's a reason people congregate here. There's action galore for one thing, but it's the sound that's notable here, because it seems to hang in the trees down there. They don't call the area immediately after Turn 12 Thunder Valley for nothing. It's a beautiful thing.

12. The new spectator viewing on the inside of Turn 12 is a must see too. You can walk all the way down to see the exit of The Kink from this position, or you can park yourself on the inside of the corner and watch the heavy braking. And the sound will knock your socks off.

13. I like to stand up on the little hill overlooking the Bill Mitchell Bend (it used to be the Bill Mitchell bridge, another sad day for Road America purists), looking down on the cars as they get through Turn 13. The other place to watch here is on the inside of the track, from the paddock side. Then there's the hilltop viewing area that overlooks the entire north side of the track where you can see Turn 5, Turns 13 and 14, and the cars powering up the hill on the main straight. Some people never leave from this spot.

14. I like to watch on the outside of Turn 14 because you can see the cars emerge from the Bill Mitchell Bend, approach Turn 14, get through the corner and blast up the hill. Faster through this corner means more top speed at the end of the front straight, and the good drivers always shine here. You can also see who peels off for the pits from this vantage point too.

15. And I should mention one other great vista, and this is from the Gear Box concession stand at the northern edge of the paddock. Besides having the best food at the track (which is saying something because Road America has the best track food in the country), you can see Turn 5, Turn 13 and Turn 14 here, plus watch as the cars blast up the hill toward the start/finish line. It's all good.

No, not the definitive guide by any means, just my favorite viewing areas at my all-time favorite track.

Road America has everything: a state park-like setting, a fantastic - and blistering fast - track layout unaltered since Day One, authentic sports car racing history and a postcard town to go with it, a beautiful new Road America store, and genuine, knowledgeable racing enthusiasts who share a common bond and appreciate what the track represents in this graceless age of instant gratification.

If you've never been you need to go, and if you're going back this summer, then I don't need to say anymore. Have fun and enjoy one of this country's greatest treasures: Elkhart Lake's Road America.

P.S. When you go into the town of Elkhart Lake there are two must-see stops: The bar at Siebkens. And the Off The Rail coffee shop. You can thank me later.

And that's the High-Octane Truth for this week."

Thank you Mr. DeLorenzo, for these tips! :smile:

The track participants all got a similar turn by turn description.....Also check out the many in car vids on youtube

Ummmm....dunno docjohn. A blow-by-blow description as a driving participant is different than this piece (spectator perspective).
And I don't have any desire or the time to examine U-toob vids.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you again, and will watch for you in your Mustang rental out of ORD as we book up the freaking Tri-State I-294 X-Way - the highway everybody hates :mad:. Actually contemplating going up north around Lake Michigan/through Michigan's Upper Peninsula on our drive home (additional ~ 200 miles).

Lol I didn't even check to see that it was a guide for spectators:redface:...so yes very helpful for those coming just to watch.....I think I'm doing the 94-43-57 thing....The good thing is I will have the bee at RA :smile:......

Ummmm....dunno docjohn. A blow-by-blow description as a driving participant is different than this piece (spectator perspective).
And I don't have any desire or the time to examine U-toob vids.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you again, and will watch for you in your Mustang rental out of ORD as we book up the freaking Tri-State I-294 X-Way - the highway everybody hates :mad:. Actually contemplating going up north around Lake Michigan/through Michigan's Upper Peninsula on our drive home (additional ~ 200 miles).

I didn't know you were going, what time are you leaving tomorrow? We're leaving about 8ish. We'll be taking 294 and just hoping traffic isn't too bad.

De-briefing the track (spectator)

So Wifey and I arrived Tuesday evening, not tracking our NSX's, and TRULY enjoyed the two track days/entire event. :smile:

Saw race control, starter's bridge, paddock for two days, friends and new friends, R.A. store, and simply stated I (we?) suffered from FOMO. :wink:

"Fear of missing out"

Had my helmet. Got about 12 laps around with a Mazda RX-8 (Thank you Jake, of Racine, WI) and then in docjohn's "Bee." (He is a machine on this track.)

Peter DeLorenzo's guide above

"10. You can walk around and watch the cars power out of the Carousel below, but now there's a foot bridge (the Hawk Performance bridge) that allows you to walk down and get a fantastic view of the infamous Kink, the most ball-jangling corner in all of American road racing. I recommend you go down there for qualifying, too, because it will give you a renewed appreciation for the concept of being on The Edge. "

On the parade lap I took photos of "the Kink" (to post later?) because I could not comprehend all of the sports car skid and "hit marks" on the exterior/interior barriers there. Savage place.

What a track! It took until the second day just to find the infield driving roads by which to visit the various viewing points mentioned in this article. Didn't make it to the exterior/outside vantage points.

"P.S. When you go into the town of Elkhart Lake there are two must-see stops: The bar at Siebkens."

Well, wandered over there Friday night after driving back from Milwaukee. Very interesting gin mill - lots of racing stuff inside there to examine. One overwhelmed bar tender. Glad I saw it.

Wow, what an NSXPO and weekend. Do hope all arrived home safely. THANK YOU to our sponsors and our on-site planning committee! :wink:

Back