• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another CGI event anyone.

Pick a date, I'll most likely show up. Actually, I'd prefer September. I need a couple months to burn off what's left of my rear tires before I put my new set on. Plus, the temps should be perfect yet on the 12th.

I was thinking the same thing...let's do the 12th of Sept.

The 12th is cool with me.

If anyone has been hankering to try driving the roller coaster known as Grattan Raceway, the Windy City Chapter BMW CCA has a driver's school there September 10-11, so it would be easy to combine it with the CGI school the following day.

(Grattan is 20-30 minutes northeast of Grand Rapids; Grand Rapids is 50 miles northeast of South Haven and GingerMan.)

grattan.gif

nsxtasy said:
If anyone has been hankering to try driving the roller coaster known as Grattan Raceway, the Windy City Chapter BMW CCA has a driver's school there September 10-11, so it would be easy to combine it with the CGI school the following day.

(Grattan is 20-30 minutes northeast of Grand Rapids; Grand Rapids is 50 miles northeast of South Haven and GingerMan.)

grattan.gif

Ken,
What's your take on Grattan...I heard it's more fun than Gingerman.

NSX 3.0 said:
What's your take on Grattan...I heard it's more fun than Gingerman.
I consider it lots more fun. When I rank the 23 tracks I've driven based simply on how much fun I consider them to drive, Grattan comes out third (after Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta). I like it because it has a lot of "flow", where one turn throws you into the next turn which flows you into the next turn, pretty much all the way around the track, other than the front straight. Other aspects which make a track fun (for me) are also plentiful, including sharp elevation changes, on-camber and off-camber turns, blind turns, etc. You can see from this description how different it is from GingerMan.

Grattan is reasonably safe, with decent run-off room most of the way around the track - not quite as much as GingerMan, but close to that end of the spectrum (nothing like Road America, for example). The track surface varies; sometimes they keep it in good shape, but occasionally there are parts that are rough and need patching.

It's reasonably attractive, although not "the track in the woods" like Road America. The food in the snack bar is absolutely dreadful, but there is fast food in Belding, six miles east.

The location is a bit far (20-30 minutes) from the hotels; people usually stay in the vicinity of the Grand Rapids Airport, where there are lots of places in all price categories. There are plenty of great restaurants in the airport area as well as nearby in downtown Grand Rapids and in neighborhoods in between. You can find more visitor information at the Grand Rapids Convention and Visitors Bureau website.

Ken, I have a entrepreneurial venture for you. I think you should write a "Top 20 Track Destinations Guide"! I even have a publisher in mind! :biggrin:

I am up for Graten, BUT it will not do for what we are looking to do. We will be doing some "test-and-tune" on a NSX with overheating issues, therefore NO instructors are wanted. With CGI we can run short stints, and go out at any time.

Once the overheating issue is solved, Graten here we come!

Is it Steve's car that's having the overheating issues yet? He was having that problem last September. I'm curious what solved or solves it if it was/is him.

comquat1 said:
Is it Steve's car that's having the overheating issues yet? He was having that problem last September. I'm curious what solved or solves it if it was/is him.

Yes it was my car...This past Windy City event it acted up again 5 laps and in the red. As soon as I would back off it came down to normal. I thought I had it solved with a new cap and getting all the air out but I guess not. Now I had AOB do some more tests and I had a new radiator installed. My old one was shot I mean it looked like someone shot it with a 12 gauge it was ugly. So I need to track it to see if that might do it. It never acts up with city-highway driving. I mean I can pound on it hard for a fair amount of time and it runs perfect with the temp gauge right where it should be one tick under half.

NSX 3.0 said:
Was thinking of going at the end of August or September. Here are the dates anyone up for it.

http://www.cgimotorsports.com/

Hi you all. You guys might want to consider July 8th. That's going to be our first annual CGI Motorsports/GingerMan Invitational. The details are below:

First Annual CGI Motorsports/GingerMan Raceway Invitational

FRIDAY JULY 8,2005

We are setting aside a special day for past CGI Motorsports participants

to join us for a day of sun, food and

lots of track time!!!

This drivers school will have two run groups...intermediate and advanced. This means you will have 7 sessions to enjoy as you please. This format capitalized on the CGI theory that you run when You want, not when you have to run. That's right folks maximum track time for only $145. In addition to all that track time, lunch is on us. In the interest of safety, this event will be organized under the regular CGI Motorsports Driver School guidelines.

If you have had fun with us at previous schools, you will have a blast at this event. To sign up for this event, just download one of our regular Drivers Schools applications at www.cgimotorsports.com and after completing the normal information, write in July 8, 2005 as the school date. Send it along with your check (10 days before the event) to the CGI address on the application.

For those not wishing to drive up the morning of the event, we made arrangements with the Guesthouse Inn (269-639-9900) for special room rates. Instead of the customary $89 per night rate, just mention that you are a participant in the CGI Invitational and receive a special rate of $65.

As always, it is a CGI policy not to overload a track event. As such, spots will be filled on a first come first served basis.

If you have any questions, please call us at 815-412-9877.

Chuck Mirenda
CGI MOTORSPORTS
Performance Driving School
RADICAL Extreme Sports Cars
tel:815-412-9877 - fax:815-412-9883
www.cgimotorsports.com
[email protected]

That July date is very tempting, it'll be the last day of my vacation too, but I gotta start saving pennies for some possible mods or offsetting my new monster garage, err i mean house, that i'll hopefully be building soon.

I also will be on vacation that week up in Traverse City...that is if T Bell doesn't burn our cabin down the week before. :biggrin: If you count Chuck's NSX that's five so far.

I came real close to doing the CGI Invitational, but Autobahn in Joliet has a track day on July 7th, and I've been itching to get on that track and see the facility. And the fact too it's only 15 minutes from my house! :biggrin: Otherwise, the Invitational would have been a done deal. I'll see you guys on the 12th instead.

NSX 3.0 said:
I had AOB do some more tests and I had a new radiator installed. My old one was shot I mean it looked like someone shot it with a 12 gauge it was ugly. So I need to track it to see if that might do it. It never acts up with city-highway driving. I mean I can pound on it hard for a fair amount of time and it runs perfect with the temp gauge right where it should be one tick under half.
Steven,

It certainly sounds like the radiator might have been the culprit. Please let us know what you find after tracking it.

I wonder what caused the radiator to deteriorate to that point...? Time? Miles? And how did you/John notice the condition of the old one? I'm just wondering whether there are some lessons to be learned, whether those of us tracking our cars should inspect our radiators, and/or replace them as a preventive measure...?

nsxtasy said:
Steven,

It certainly sounds like the radiator might have been the culprit. Please let us know what you find after tracking it.

I wonder what caused the radiator to deteriorate to that point...? Time? Miles? And how did you/John notice the condition of the old one? I'm just wondering whether there are some lessons to be learned, whether those of us tracking our cars should inspect our radiators, and/or replace them as a preventive measure...?

Ken,
I also hope the radiator is the culprit. The conditon of the radiator might be my fault. Two years ago I bought a new power washer and had to try it out and on guess what. I had bugs every where on the car after a long trip so I power washed the front radiator side AC vents etc...I had no idea the fins on the radiator are that fragile so I might of blasted them shut. My problems started shortly after that and really did not notice the conditon of the radiator until this past Windy City event. I may try to get to a track before the 12th of Sept but it's up in the air right now. The thing I like about the CGI event is John will be there and he can check things out if it acts up again. Here is a shot of the nice and clean new one...I also bought the Dali radiator and AC shields.

Last edited:
I'm signed up and ready!

I'm signed up, just waiting for my confirmation.

Tom, tell me that orange nsx is gonna come.... :wink: You don't want that watch to suddenly "go up in value"..... :wink:

My count is this so far.

Myself
T Bell
Sean
Comquat
Kevin
Mark
Chuck-CGI

Mike's Orange NSX will probably be at more Car Shows than Track events that is if he ever gets it.

Back