• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Scam Listing on Autotrader

Hey thanks! How'd you know it was a scam ? I've seen a couple of similar listings on ebay and wondered how they're getting away with this ??

MiamiMermaid said:
How'd you know it was a scam ?
1. The ridiculously low price.

2. The fact that they're overseas, noted in their e-mail response reported on honda-tech. Scammers are always overseas, where it is virtually impossible to hold them accountable when you send money and don't get anything in return.

MiamiMermaid said:
I've seen a couple of similar listings on ebay and wondered how they're getting away with this ??
Like any con artists, they prey on two factors in their victims: stupidity and greed, i.e. the never-ending hope that something that sounds too good to be true, really is true, and the willingness to accept a far-fetched story in order to get a bargain.

nsxtasy said:
1. The ridiculously low price.

2. The fact that they're overseas, noted in their e-mail response reported on honda-tech. Scammers are always overseas, where it is virtually impossible to hold them accountable when you send money and don't get anything in return.

Like any con artists, they prey on two factors in their victims: stupidity and greed, i.e. the never-ending hope that something that sounds too good to be true, really is true, and the willingness to accept a far-fetched story in order to get a bargain.

Hey ThaNsX... Good to know !

MiamiMermaid said:
Hey thanks! How'd you know it was a scam ? I've seen a couple of similar listings on ebay and wondered how they're getting away with this ??

Just take a look at how many Prime members post about such ads with questions like "do you think this is real" and that explains why such scammers continue to look for prey.

You have to be real careful with Autotrader...you'll get scammers that want to BUY your car as well.

I listed my pathfinder a while back and I had 3 people from Nigeria that wanted to send me a check to ship my car over...typical scam where they pay me MORE than the car is worth, then I send the car with a check of the difference back to them. (Then, when their original check bounces about a month later, I lose the car, plus my extra $$). So damn funny. I usually like to play with them a little first before I threaten to report them.

DrVolkl said:
You have to be real careful with Autotrader...you'll get scammers that want to BUY your car as well.

ISo damn funny. I usually like to play with them a little first before I threaten to report them.

LMBO! You go, Doc !

I inquired about two seperate NSX'x from Auto Trader a couple of weeks ago and got the exact same email about having been sent to Prague for work, and the rest of the scam speil. The only difference was the names. What I found funny was the email saying they are selling because of being transfered overseas, yet in the ad it said selling because they had three other cars...lol

I am int the process of purchasing one off of ebay. At least with ebay you have some protective factors, still makes me a little nervous though.

53heloFE said:
I inquired about two seperate NSX'x from Auto Trader a couple of weeks ago and got the exact same email about having been sent to Prague for work, and the rest of the scam speil. The only difference was the names. What I found funny was the email saying they are selling because of being transfered overseas, yet in the ad it said selling because they had three other cars...lol

I am int the process of purchasing one off of ebay. At least with ebay you have some protective factors, still makes me a little nervousthough.

Yep, I'd be careful. Check out their location, FEEDBACK!, and call them if you can.

The number one thing you can do to avoid scams when buying a car is to have someone (such as a dealer/mechanic and/or a local NSX owner) look at it in person. Most scammers don't have possession of the cars they are selling, and wouldn't be able to show it in person.

Back