• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Vegas FX500 Turbo Review (The Blue Devil)

As I read with envy on Vega$ NSX's review, I took delivery of my FX500 on his review date. To say that I'm very pleased with the outcome is truly an understatement. If it weren't for the semi-custom nature of this FX system, I would have nothing more to add. However, as Vega$ NSX so eloquently wrote, "Each FX turbo system are unique in their own way and mine is no different", I beg to open another thread to share my take on another FX500 variant.

The whole story started this spring when I was driving to work down 15 South where I pass a gray pickup truck. I received a honk and a frendly wave, the driver yelled out "You need a Turbo". Little did I know that voice was Mike Angel, the mastermind behind Factor X. Few days later and a few minutes of discussions with Angel, the decision was made to spare no expense to build my system properly from the ground up. Furthermore, after hard bargaining and a persuasive stripper ........ ah ........ secretary or two, a deal was struck for me to purchase one of Factor X's spare but fresh race motor.

Other than the race motor, Vega$'s and mine also differ slightly in overall plumbing, intake/exhaust, turbo unit, and tuning. Vega$ went for total stealth. I went for total show. Unlike Vega$, my entire system is totally exposed through the Taitec CF rear diffuser and Scooped Lexan rear hatch. According to Angel, my configuration allows him a little more flexability and less compromises. The only limiting factor is the NUT behind the wheel.......Your's truly.........

For those who don't already know, my project started last summer where upgrades were done to the Brake System, Suspension, Chassis reinforcements, Passive Restrain, Transmission/Gearing, and a lot of Cosmetic. Fully aware of my car's foundation, Angel design the system with the understanding that massive amount of performance can be extracted from my car in the future. The sizing of my turbo and general plumbing is roughly comparable to their own Racer, however the turbo unit itself is somewhat of a mystery. According to Angel, mine is the second such unit in existence, henceforth a prototype. But if I reveal its identity, it will be the last secret I'll ever expose sez Angel.

As delivered, my car doesn't have anywhere near the low-end torque as Vega$'s. The kick doesn't come on hard until 4.25k RPM and peak is a little shy of 350 ft/lb. However, peak HP match Vega$'s but with the slight advantage of a very flat plateau stretching from 6k through 8k. Unfortunately, tunning and testing was done at a torturous 109F temperature and Angel had to call it quits before he keel over from heat exhaustion. Mind you Vega$'s and my cars were tuned on two very different locations and date, his was at Silver State and mine at Pro Street, both Dynojets.

Okay, what does this all mean? On paper, Vega$ will eat me up live from a low-end pull. Once on boost, we should be dead even. I think! While Vega$'s feel like a big block V8, mine feel like a high winding small block until "Oh-My-God" kicks in. Thankfully, JDM close ratio and Giken LSD help keep the engine on broil. Unlike Vega$, I have to do some fancy footwork just to keep up. Hey........ Angel........ Spare the old man........

Once on song, the power delivery is very linear and quite easy to modulate. And a quick snap shot goes like this. I pick a line, steer-in, let the suspension settles in and power slide my way out at the angle of my choice while balancing it through with counter and throttle steer. Coming out of the turn, I stomp on the loud pedal and feel the hind claws squeal for traction as the boost continues to build. Once the turbo hit its sweet spot, everything surrounding me seems to slow down as I warp speed towards the redline with heart pounding and palm sweeting. As the G's continue to build in what seem like a second or two, I have to take a deep breath, reach for the lever, and bang it onto the next gear before rev. limiter spoils the moment. The battle cry of the Tial BOV screams in harmony and once again the car leap foward as if catapulted down an aircraft carrier while threatening to step over a lane or two. Before I knew it, I have to stomp hard on the middle pedal to avoid hitting slower traffic as I merge onto the Interstate at my usual 65........... Vegas group knows I don't drive fast......... but I do drive quick ..........

Angel was smart in limiting our power availability. He also took the extra pre-cautions of pro-aligning/corner balancing my car. Furthermore, he went over my brakes, suspension system, etc., just to make sure the car is FX500 worthy. At this level, it is more important to break-in the NUT than the vehicle. What kept me from harm's way was the highly tuned and balance car, years of driving high HP vehicles, and mostly dumb luck.

Okay Angel, please crank up my Blue Devil before I take the next leap...............

Best Regards
Paul

EEwww. Turned a sexy elegant pavement dancer into an assasin you did. Mikey Rocks, to bad my wife sewed my pockets shut. Can't wait to here from another local Turbo NSX to chime in *Cough* Danny *Cough*. I got a dose of his twin turbo NSX and I know how you gentlemen feel. It scared me so much as passenger, I didn't even take the offer to drive it. Yikes. Never saw so many gears hit 9k so hard! Vegas might be the biggest FI NSX clan to gather!!!!!

Peter,

Better drive it now at 677 before we up it another 50.

Danny

afterburners said:
EEwww. Turned a sexy elegant pavement dancer into an assasin you did. Mikey Rocks, to bad my wife sewed my pockets shut. Vegas might be the biggest FI NSX clan to gather!!!!!

That is our mission with the NSXs! Its time for you to do your part and throw a hairdryer on that NSX!

lowellhigh79 said:
Better drive it now at 677 before we up it another 50.

Danny

700+rwhp??? Come on now we’ve been running around at that level for at least the past two years:tongue: Turn it up at least another 200rwhp and show everyone something! Better yet bring it to the hill and see what she can really do:biggrin:

>700+rwhp??? Come on now we’ve been running around at that level for at least the past two years<

Which FX platform are you refering to? The TT drag NSX that needed NOS to pass 800 whp or the 608 whp 'road race" FX500 plus a 150 shot of NOS?

>Turn it up at least another 200rwhp and show everyone something!<

Do you mean break the 875-900 rwhp barrier that you have not been able to do for the past three years? We will break it and when we do, it will be in public and without NOS or ice.

>Better yet bring it to the hill and see what she can really do:biggrin:<

I can not condone nor willingly participate in illegal street racing. Undoubtedly there are many high horsepower cars at the Sunday meets and I'm sure one or two of them can beat my car (gear limited to 185) in a one dimensional measure of one's penis extension. Sadly, it's only a matter of time before someone, a participant or an innocent person, is killed by this stupid behavior. At the very least, someone will be thrown into jail.

Now, I will graciously return this thread to Paul.

Best Regards,

Danny

lowellhigh79 said:
Which FX platform are you refering to? The TT drag NSX that needed NOS to pass 800 whp or the 608 whp 'road race" FX500 plus a 150 shot of NOS?

Do you mean break the 875-900 rwhp barrier that you have not been able to do for the past three years? We will break it and when we do, it will be in public and without NOS or ice.

I can not condone nor willingly participate in illegal street racing. Undoubtedly there are many high horsepower cars at the Sunday meets and I'm sure one or two of them can beat my car (gear limited to 185) in a one dimensional measure of one's penis extension. Sadly, it's only a matter of time before someone, a participant or an innocent person, is killed by this stupid behavior. At the very least, someone will be thrown into jail.

Now, I will graciously return this thread to Paul.

Best Regards,

Danny

You can choose anyone one of the combinations mentioned, with the addition of the twin turbo NSX that made 757rwhp@19psi. Different turbos for different applications. Nitrous was always added on the road race set-ups to give it the extra power it needed for those pesky Supras:smile:

Breaking the 875-900 rwhp mark should not be an issue as we breezed to the 800rwhp mark without too much stress, it’s by choice that we stopped going the drag racing route. In addition, making the power all boost is not an issue just depends on the compressor selection. As mentioned, unfortunately, the turbos we use for drag do not have the power delivery that is optimal for road racing, there for since we built the system for road racing we just added the Nitrous to make up for the “size” issue. Out of respect for your DECADE long quest, we will humbly leave the 1khp mark to you as we do not have a schedule to accommodate the changeover till next year.

I totally agree with the illegal street racing, it is childlike behavior done by egotistical maniacs with too much money and not enough life. They are lucky it has gone on for this long without any injuries. Btw, everyone has enjoyed your presence the past few meets. In regards to how your car would stack up, I’m pretty sure 6+ of the cars/bikes up there will be able to outrun you. Not trying to be condescending just truthful, they would run us over also. I also agree that it is a one dimensional measure of one’s penis. Similar to carrying around pictures of your car and chasing down other NSXers to show them how much power the NSX will eventually make. Or driving around with a 1khpNSX license plate from for the past ??? years and not have near that level?

Thank you for returning this thread back to Paul after coming in diverting the topic he started. Apologies Paul for stealing your thunder!!!

Btw, our prior post was purely in jest, and was not done to offend or disgrace what you have accomplished. Also congrats on making it in the Super Street Challenge it is good for the community

Factor X Motorsports said:
Paul,

Thank you for the kind words:smile: Now lets get down to serious business! What is the name of that dish from the Noodle House:biggrin:

Well........I'm not telling. You'll have to go to Noodle House with me to ever see that dish again........:biggrin:

Best Regards
Paul

afterburners said:
EEwww. Turned a sexy elegant pavement dancer into an assasin you did. Mikey Rocks, to bad my wife sewed my pockets shut. Can't wait to here from another local Turbo NSX to chime in *Cough* Danny *Cough*. I got a dose of his twin turbo NSX and I know how you gentlemen feel. It scared me so much as passenger, I didn't even take the offer to drive it. Yikes. Never saw so many gears hit 9k so hard! Vegas might be the biggest FI NSX clan to gather!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words. At last the Blue Devil has the power to backup its looks. And yes it does hit pretty hard, enough to break loose my 315's.

Best Regards
Paul

Factor X Motorsports said:
Thank you for returning this thread back to Paul after coming in diverting the topic he started. Apologies Paul for stealing your thunder!!!

hondoctors said:
Nice, I love your car Paul. And Mikey, you are very passionate and talented at what you do, BIG thumbs up!

Oh please........I'm merely the owner. The power and thunder belongs to all those at Factor X. Just happy to see soo much excitement surrounding Vegas$ NSX and my car. My guess is that Vegas not only host the most turbo NSX ........ but perhaps a few of the baddest ........

Like Vegas$ NSX, mine is not yet complete. I'm still waiting for my custom air box along with a few odds and ends before final tune at high boost. The Blue Devil's current docile configuration serves only as a precursor to something much more extreme......:cool: Are you ready Mikey??? .......... I am .........

Best Regards
Paul

Esprit1 said:
The Blue Devil's current docile configuration serves only as a precursor to something much more extreme......:cool: Are you ready Mikey??? .......... I am .........

Best Regards
Paul

You know I'm ready:biggrin:

Just got Blue Devil back from custom airbox install. Mikey still need to work on that ugly intake-hose.......:mad:

With everything untouched, preliminary dyno shows some shocking results. The Blue Devil is finally able to fill his lungs. Tunning intake, with or without Turbo, is not unlike tunning exhaust. It think the system is finally hitting its resonance sweet spot. When the intake pipes arrives, FX will do some final tunning. I'm requesting L/M/H settings at 8/10/12 lb and I know 500+hp will hit twice.......:biggrin:

Best Regards
Paul

PS: Dyno printout to follow.........

4645NSX_Air_Box_b.jpg

4645NSX_Air_Box_a.jpg

Congratulations!

With the numbers of turbo NSXs roaming the roads it seems many of the new super cars will need to watch out. Please keep us informed on your continuing progress.:biggrin: :cool:

Can I have your rearview mirror since you won't need that anymore? :tongue: :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

Looks nice. I'll have to stop by the shop and check it out.

Rematch?? :biggrin:

John McCain Racing said:
So how much power are you putting to the Giken LSD?

Happy to report that the Giken seems to be holding up fine at 501 whp and 404 lb TQ. Same goes for the RPS Clutch.

And all this power comes in at 10 lb boost. The custom airbox seems to be doing one heck of a job........

Best Regards
Paul

nsxsupra said:
That is really mean:tongue: :smile:

All joke aside, the Blue Devil is awesome. My guess is that in rolling situations Blue Devil>Vega$. From a dead stop up to 1/8mile situations Vega$>Blue Devil.

Thanks nsxsupra.........:redface:

The mirror remark stems from the fact that I see nothing but the huge airbox in my mirror..........Thankfully I have a rear view camera installed just to keep a lookout for Smokey.........:biggrin:

Vega$ is a torque monster. I wouldn't bet against him in a roll on.........

Best Regards
Paul

Esprit1 said:
Thanks nsxsupra.........:redface:

The mirror remark stems from the fact that I see nothing but the huge airbox in my mirror..........Thankfully I have a rear view camera installed just to keep a lookout for Smokey.........:biggrin:

Vega$ is a torque monster. I wouldn't bet against him in a roll on.........

Best Regards
Paul

Hehe, yeah, I actually meant all his rearview mirror was good for anymore was to look at the frontside of this airbox. But I can see the meaning the other way, which is pretty funny too! Perhaps you can put a picture of a hot bikini clad chick on the front side of your airbox so when you need a little pick-me-up you can just look into the mirror. :biggrin:

Alas, I had my moment in the sunshine. I knew this day would come (oh so soon) where I would have to give it up to the new champ. Whereas I used to have a nice edge on the Blue Devil in torque, he's now got me crushed on power and close enough in torque. On top of that, he's got mega fat rear tires that soak up all that power like a sponge and spits it back at the pavement with a vengance. Meanwhile, all my tires do is spin around like they have no place to go. I think the only edge I have is wider gearing, quicker boost spool up, lighter weight and my dashing good looks. But despite all the preening I do, I don't think I'll be able to keep up. It should still be very close, but in the end I'll be the star of the Blue Devil's rearview cam.

Wow nice car Paul!! So i sell my Nsx then everyone Turbos their cars:biggrin: See you guys on the 28th

vegasnsx said:
Wow nice car Paul!! So i sell my Nsx then everyone Turbos their cars:biggrin: See you guys on the 28th

Thanks.........We just can't stand the chance of you whipping us NSX boys around too badly........:wink:

Best Regards
Paul

Okay..........this is at 10 lb boost and finally got it scanned. The fall like temperature and new airbox came just in time. We found out how bad the temporary cone type filter flowed and the mounting location didn't help matters. (Was mounted directly on the Turbo deep under the car) With the new airbox closely coupled to the hatch scoop, I believe he will gain an extra 1-2 hp at speed. Don't have a dyno sheet but Mikey sez the car pulls close to 475 whp at 8 lb boost and that is the lowest it can tune...........

Now back to retuning the old nut behind the wheel........

4645Blue_Devil_10_lb_Boost.jpg

Vega$ NSX said:
Alas, I had my moment in the sunshine. I knew this day would come (oh so soon) where I would have to give it up to the new champ. Whereas I used to have a nice edge on the Blue Devil in torque, he's now got me crushed on power and close enough in torque. On top of that, he's got mega fat rear tires that soak up all that power like a sponge and spits it back at the pavement with a vengance. Meanwhile, all my tires do is spin around like they have no place to go. I think the only edge I have is wider gearing, quicker boost spool up, lighter weight and my dashing good looks. But despite all the preening I do, I don't think I'll be able to keep up. It should still be very close, but in the end I'll be the star of the Blue Devil's rearview cam.

Your 406 lb torque peaks at 4,750 rpm and my 404 peaks at 6,100. Don't forget that it is torque that is doing the work. By that time, I'll be playing catch up. My only saving grace is the fat tires and, less so, perhaps the gearing. But when I do catch you, the race is probably over.

I know you have widebody and many other mods in the pipeline. My moments of sunshine may be short lived indeed..........:wink:

Best Regards
Paul

Back