• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any advice on where to get ultra white 1157 parking light bulbs?

Yawwn said:
BTW, not that the negligible difference in price is any factor, but you mentioned the cost to be $2.34 each, and you posted this about a month ago. It shows it to be $3.64 at superbrightleds.com.
Thanks~

That may be right. Because you have to add extra $ for the white color. Buy several festoon bulbs while you're at it since the shipping price will not change.

I just replaced bulbs - parking, inside, trunk and license plate. Even if you are not a do-it yourself person you will be able to do this low cost high reward upgrade. The bulbs cost $30.66 and it took less than a couple of hours to do.

I visited VegasNSX two weeks ago and was blown away by how good this looks in the day time, let alone at night.

So buy the bulbs do the upgrade. You will be very happy. :smile:

Yawwn said:
Thank both of you for your quick replys!
I think that you are right to just purchase the parking lights. It seems like too much trouble to go with the turn signals. I'm sure they seldom burn out like the parking lights do and I don't want to worry about a quick blinking light or a different relay.

For some reason on the Osram, when you look up a 1991 NSX, it lists the 1157s for the parking and the turn signal lights. I neglected to look up any other year. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll probably just purchase the WLED-6 as you recommended. BTW, not that the negligible difference in price is any factor, but you mentioned the cost to be $2.34 each, and you posted this about a month ago. It shows it to be $3.64 at superbrightleds.com. Am I looking at the wrong bulb, or possibly the wrong site. I just want to make sure it is the same one that you purchased, since you have proven it works on the NSX. The shipping costs almost as much as two bulbs :smile:

Thanks~

I also have a 91; do you have a list of the bulbs you changed out and the results? Did you also change out your flasher?

Many Thanks,
Rob
t8834da.jpg

Hi Onsoku,
I just heeded Malibu Rapper's advice and got these items.

Parking lamps: 2 x WLED6 (white) $2.34 each
Festoon interior: 5 x 3022-4 (white) $3.64 each

Unfortunately, I ordered it a month ago, and still haven't received it. I sent an inquiry Friday so I hope to hear from them by Monday about my order.

Take Care.

I ordered them and got immediate confirmation and it arrived in about 5 days as they promised. Great service for me. Must be a disconnect in your order.

As for the lights, they look really cool. I'm not so sure they are overall as bright as the incandescants - the cockpit doesn't look as brightly lit to me. But they run cooler and last longer and look really good - nice and high tech. Well worth doing.

Jeff

Yawwn said:
Hi Onsoku,
I just heeded Malibu Rapper's advice and got these items.

Parking lamps: 2 x WLED6 (white) $2.34 each
Festoon interior: 5 x 3022-4 (white) $3.64 each

Unfortunately, I ordered it a month ago, and still haven't received it. I sent an inquiry Friday so I hope to hear from them by Monday about my order.

Take Care.

Yawwn, i'm thinking of ordering these as well...
5 Festoons?..

1 in trunk
2 in doors
1 overhead cockpit
1 ?

did you receive your order yet?

juejaimon said:
5 Festoons?..

1 in trunk
2 in doors
1 overhead cockpit
1 ?

I did receive my order, but my car is still at the bodyshop. They haven't installed them yet. I hope to get it back sometime this month, so I can update you when I get the car.

Take Care.

D'Ecosse said:
But the easiest & best solution is to replace the flasher relay with one that does not have the low current detection & will flash at the correct rate.
Here's one from TMILED - http://usaled.com/store/index.php3?cat=283784&item=1153376 - TMI also has a beeping version if preferred.
You can also find units from other vendor that have variable flash rates if you want to customize the flash rate. (google for them)
drew said:
D'ecosse is that a PnP device? Can't tell from the description or the photo.

But, yes, that is way cooler than resistors. Never occurred to me to change out the flasher...

Drew

Sorry - I should have replied to this previously - I just got a similar question by PM from another member.

I don't think so - you could probably easily enough make up a harness adapter using a relay base & the OEM relay with the guts removed to plug into the original location - this would avoid having to interfere with OEM wiring.
Also not super complicated to reverse engineer to fit in original relay package - as you know, the nice thing about having used LEDs is the current requirement goes way down. The original relay has a current sense which detects a blown bulb - it wouldn't be hard to change the value of that resistor I'm sure.
I should get myslef a spare & take it apart & play with it! I know you're a man of similar means Drew!

juejaimon said:
5 Festoons?..

1 in trunk
2 in doors
1 overhead cockpit
1 ?

And 1 for driver's side floor lighting (under the steering wheel). For this one, I just kept the reflector off so that the light is a little more dispersed, otherwise the reflector causes it to become "spotty".

Thanks for all the great info guys!! I just ordered what was recommended as well as 2 amber and 2 red LED's for the side markers.

Can't wait to get um!!

I ordered 2 each of WLED 6-LED (red) @ $2.99 each, and 2 each of WLED 6-LED (amber) @ $2.99 each.
I also ordered extras of the WLED 6-LED (white) as used on the parking lights so I can compare the look of the white LED verses the colored LED for the side markers.
You could consider the 4 LED version if you want less intensity but I have found that brighter is better with LED's.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help.. I was worried that the WLED 6LED one would be too large for our application..... i am set to order now. thanks again.

just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the LED lights for the REAR parking lights?

D'Ecosse said:
I got the WLED-x6 led for the front parking lights that are mentioned in Mailbu's earlier post - I already the PIAA's (Incandescent) which were actually already quite white compared to the OEMS. The LED's are whiter & crisper still I think. I'm not going to say which is which, you decide!

attachment.php

Just for Clarification, the left is the PIAA, and the right is the LED.

The "White" LEDs I got from them actually have a somewhat blue/purplish tint to them like you see in the picture above. They emit more blue than the Sylvania Silverstars I have as my headlights (I was hoping they'd match the Silverstars, but they don't :frown: ).

Hapa88 said:
attachment.php

Just for Clarification, the left is the PIAA, and the right is the LED.

The "White" LEDs I got from them actually have a somewhat blue/purplish tint to them like you see in the picture above. They emit more blue than the Sylvania Silverstars I have as my headlights (I was hoping they'd match the Silverstars, but they don't :frown: ).

Would you please post pic with the LED and silverstar & the PIAA and Silverstar?

Thanks. :smile:

nis350 said:
Would you please post pic with the LED and silverstar & the PIAA and Silverstar?
Unfortunately you're confusing posters - those are my pics of the PIAA vs LEDs; I have both sets of bulbs but the LEDs are what are currently installed; I also currently have HIDs installed; I do not have Silverstars installed.
Hapa88 has the LEDs with Silverstars & does not have PIAA's (I believe)
So you won't be able to see a pic of PIAA with Silvertars from either of us.
Hapa88 may be able to help you with a pic of LED & Silverstar ...

My feeling with respect to Hapa88's comments about being LED's being too blue is that is his perception - mine would be that the Silverstars (while "white" compared to other halogens) are actually yellow in comparison with HID's.
So my response, respectfully, is not that the LED's are too blue, but that Silverstars are more yellow. For that reason I think the incandescent nature of PIAA bulbs to Silverstars is maybe more conducive to match.

Incidentally LED is a very pure white, relative to HIDs which come in many different temperatures.

D'Ecosse said:
Unfortunately you're confusing posters - those are my pics of the PIAA vs LEDs; I have both sets of bulbs but the LEDs are what are currently installed; I also currently have HIDs installed; I do not have Silverstars installed.
Hapa88 has the LEDs with Silverstars & does not have PIAA's (I believe)
So you won't be able to see a pic of PIAA with Silvertars from either of us.
Hapa88 may be able to help you with a pic of LED & Silverstar ...

My feeling with respect to Hapa88's comments about being LED's being too blue is that is his perception - mine would be that the Silverstars (while "white" compared to other halogens) are actually yellow in comparison with HID's.
So my response, respectfully, is not that the LED's are too blue, but that Silverstars are more yellow. For that reason I think the incandescent nature of PIAA bulbs to Silverstars is maybe more conducive to match.

Incidentally LED is a very pure white, relative to HIDs which come in many different temperatures.

All these colors are a little hard for me to grasp, because I think different people perceive color temperature slightly different.

I'm going to try and clarify myself with some numbers.

To my eyes the LEDs have a bluish tint, not necessarily white. Maybe my batch emits a little more blue than other batches of LEDs? I don't know. Anyway, I'm thinking they are somewhere in the 6500-7000K temperature range. But my set definitely radiates a bluish color, as I have them as the interior lights too which shine on my Ivory interior in my N.

The Silverstars are more "white" than traditional halogens (Sylvania claims a color temp of 4000K), but they still have a very slight yellow cast.

The sun radiates at around 6000K which is a bluish-white light. The sunlight after it has passed through the earth's atmosphere can range anywhere between 2000 and 30,000K with an average noontime summer day being around 5400K.

HIDs range in temperature from around 5000-7000K depending on the type.

I'll try to get a shot of my Silverstars and my WLED-6s tonight for a comparison of the 4000K against whatever color the LEDs are. Maybe try for an interior shot too.

These numbers seem to be consistant with this graph I found online, though it might appear slightly offset due to your monitor brand and/or settings.
colour-temperature.gif

I recieved & finished my install.............................IT LOOKS FREAKING FANTASTIC!!! Thanks Mister Milibu Rapper!! :D I order 9 bulbs and still not enought....I need a couple more to do the front side marker :(

PoohBEAR said:
I recieved & finished my install.............................IT LOOKS FREAKING FANTASTIC!!! Thanks Mister Milibu Rapper!! :D I order 9 bulbs and still not enought....I need a couple more to do the front side marker :(

The sidemarkers aren't completely necessary. But do keep in mind that if you want the colors to look right, you will have to order the matching color bulb. Orange for orange, red for red. Otherwise you get that yellow that I have on my orange sidemarkers which isn't a bad thing either. WLED6 bulbs should work fine.

Did you get those license plate bulbs??? :)

Back