• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any good Plasma TV source ?

Been looking into getting a Plasma TV lately, but the more I read, the more I realize how little I know about them. :confused:

Where is a good online source to read up on reviews and comparisons ??? I think I narrowed it down to a couple of key points on what I need to have.

1. Plasma 42 inch+.
2. HDTV built in. (1024 x 768 and up).
3. Brightness at least 1000+ cd/m2.
4. Refresh rate at 75 Hz or better.

I am sure there are some TV gurus in here, I would like to hear all suggestions !!! (which brand ? where to buy ? price range ? ... etc)

THANKS !!!

I had a line on 4 50"ers that fell of the back of a truck, but I guess the bump wasn't big enough!!!
I was really looking forward to trying one.
Some come with speakers, some don't so watch for that.
The new Rca's are suppose to be something. The plasma is actually made by someone else I read, Nec?
Good luck to you and let us know how it goes and where you mount it!
Ceiling of Bedroom?
Dr. T

I wouldn't buy a big ticket item like this from an on-line retailer or even a local TV store. IMO - the wholesale clubs are the way to go. Sams and Costco have great pricing and fantastic customer service/return policies.

You don't want to spend $5,000 and then have to ship it back and pray they stand behind it while you wait with a big ugly hole in your wall.

I bought my 46" Plasma from Sam's (ED) for $2100 (edit - looked up actual cost) last month and it is awesome IMO. You may want to consider ED as most TIVO/MCE does not record anyway in HD, HD is still limited for a couple of years, and the thousands you save now could be invested and buy a HD set in the future. Also now that I have the 46" - all 42" seem small in comparison (20% larger viewing area).

As a rule of thumb - you don't want to invest in emerging technology unless you plan to use it right away. Prices drop so fast that the amount you end up paying for the new "underutilized" technology becomes expensive.

You might want to check out Ultimate Electronics if they are in your area. They filed for bankruptcy in January and are currently closing half of their stores. Included every one of them in my state. My friend just bought their huge air compressor that they used in their install bay. They are seriously getting rid of everything.

matteni said:
I bought my 46" Plasma from Sam's
Pic of Nick loading the 46" plasma into the NSX, please. :biggrin:

As to return policies, I might be wrong but I think that Costco's blanket warranty does not apply to TV's (and computers).

:biggrin:
KGP said:
As to return policies, I might be wrong but I think that Costco's blanket warranty does not apply to TV's (and computers).

I didn't see anything about t.v.'s but I checked their site and this is what it says,

"Effective November 4th, 2002, Costco Wholesale’s desktop and notebook computer return policy is six-months from the date of purchase. After six-months from the date of purchase, all service and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturers' warranty."

I wonder if they take returns on their caskets though? "I need to return this casket. There's nothing wrong with it. I've just decided I won't be dying today." :biggrin:

I def agree on big ticket items -don't buy from an online retailer.
I have this Panasonic it's an EDTV, but rivals many of the HDTV sets if not better in picture quality. It has an HD tuner built in and cable card slot built in. Awesome pic quality. Sunday paper is the best bet for price. I bought it at a circuit city sale 6mths ago, $200 cheaper than anywhere else. Costco does have it but its the model before this one (same exact set and picture but without HDtuner and cable card slot). Great site for reviews on everything >>> http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_TH_42PD25U_P/4505-6482_7-30916296-2.html?tag=top
Good Luck ! -j-

jimmycinla said:
I def agree on big ticket items -don't buy from an online retailer.
I have this Panasonic it's an EDTV, but rivals many of the HDTV sets if not better in picture quality. -j-

I don't beleive that. An HD signal is far superior to ED. My HD signal BLOWS DVD, ED, Digital CABLE, etc out of the water. No comparison at all. Personally, I would spend the extra money for HD.

An HD signal is only as good as the set its coming through.
I didnt say it rivals ALL HD sets but at $2200.00 it def looks better than half of the HD sets out there twice the cost.
Best bet if you are looking for one is go into a retail store sit down and compare and take your favorite DVD thats what i did.
-j-

Good advice about online retailers. Some of the TV manufacturers do not honor warranty if purchased through some of them. I wonder about bh photo though. They have an excellent reputation and I've purchased from them before.

KGP said:
Pic of Nick loading the 46" plasma into the NSX, please. :biggrin:

Costcos return policies only limitation is the 6mos return policy on computers. TV's fall under the "keep your receipt and return it at anytime" rule :biggrin: .

NetViper said:
I don't beleive that. An HD signal is far superior to ED. My HD signal BLOWS DVD, ED, Digital CABLE, etc out of the water. No comparison at all. Personally, I would spend the extra money for HD.
I agree that HD is better than ED, but when the screen size is small, i.e., 42" or below, it is hard to see any difference. I have a 50" Fuji, and I agree that a good HD signal (such as Voom) is noticeably better than anything else, including DVD's played on upconverted DVD players.

fifthearth, if you want to see the best products, don't limit yourself to wholesale stores. Those stores do not have a good selection. Go to a high-end B&M (brick and mortar) store to get a hands-on view of high-quality plasmas, being fed high-quality signals. From there, you can decide want you want to get.

ANYTIME said:
Costcos return policies only limitation is the 6mos return policy on computers. TV's fall under the "keep your receipt and return it at anytime" rule :biggrin: .
Oh, man - that's awesome! Coscto rulez. :smile:

KGP said:
Oh, man - that's awesome! Coscto rulez. :smile:
Sounds like the Nordstrom policy, except you don't even have to keep your recpt. Heck, if you're dishonest enough, you didn't even need to have purchased the item there!

NetViper said:
My HD signal BLOWS DVD, ED, Digital CABLE, etc out of the water. No comparison at all. Personally, I would spend the extra money for HD.
I agree. My HD signal rocks. Now if only there would be more broadcasts and channels available!

White92 said:
Sounds like the Nordstrom policy, except you don't even have to keep your recpt.
I returned something to Costco without a reciept, and it was at their request. All I wanted was a manual to something I had lost so I could order some parts, and they told me to bring it in for an exchange. I explained that I felt that would be taking advantage of them, but they insisted.
dunno.gif
:smile:

Get it at Costco.

My friend bought an Akai plasma. and then 2 months later the price dropped. so he went to ask the customer service about it and Costco refunded the price difference.

Sweet.. Costco is not the cheapest but if anything goes wrong just return it.

Thanks for all the reply, hlweyl and Autophile for the link....AND making me more confused about what I want to buy... ha ha ha :smile: ....

I agree with matteni and some others about buying on-line... I've heard some horror stories about return policies and damaged items that they do not honor or take back... so I'll feel safer with local stores or wholesale.

ANOTHER issue that is important for me is manufacturer's warrenty. Most brands are 1 year that I know of... A friend of mine bought his plasma from "LG" and said it comes with a 2 years warrenty. Is there other 2 year+ brands ?

I think I have even more questions now about HD and ED... I was thinking to get HD to be on the safe side, I don't watch TV much, mostly watch DVD's and the news.... :wink: How big of a difference IS there if I put two 42's side by side ??? so most of the service and products (cable, satellite, DVD's...) aren't even HD ??? If that's a case I might be open to a bigger ED :rolleyes: I'll need to go to a store to really sit down for a whole afternoon....

Costco has a great policy but you will find some cheap sets at best buy also if you catch it at the right time. I bought a open box set and got the extended warranty for 65 bucks and also got a rewards card and got another $500 back on the set with that. On a item like a plasma I would normally pass even if the price is good because you dont know how many hours that set has been on but the set was only on display a short time and I could not pass up the deal. I have to say that HD looks so much better then a regular signal I find myself watching stuff I would not normally sit and stare at other wise.

Attachments

• f69510b0 2.jpg
    f69510b0 2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 307
Acura NsX Pilot said:
I have to say that HD looks so much better then a regular signal I find myself watching stuff I would not normally sit and stare at other wise.

So true. With a couple hundred satellite channels I find myself surfing mostly between my 11 HD channels.
-j-

jimmycinla said:
So true. With a couple hundred satellite channels I find myself surfing mostly between my 11 HD channels.
-j-

I miss my Direct TV but the local cable company offered me a complete package that was hard to pass up. Optimun Online/Optimum Voice/ Digital Cable w/ HD for alittle less then $100 for the first year its $138 now.

Great thread! As of two days ago, I started actively looking for a plasma TV so this is exactly what I need. It seems that I am selling almost everything I own lately (two cars and a house), but I am doing my best to replace. :smile: We are moving to a new house and I need a plasma TV. I went to Ultimate Electronics and the guy said the store was closing and they would probably have some good sales. However, my sister bought two months ago a 42 inch LG HDTV plasma for under 2k and Ultimate's ED's were more than that. (she did get an open box deal though) I want to get a HDTV plasma that is not a crappy brand for around the same. Any suggestions?

One thing I forgot, is LCD better than plasma?

Back